Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Playing with new router

This is a discussion on Playing with new router within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have the Sagem from Sky and get OK speeds but I had a DG834Gv5 on me (belongs to work ...

Adamant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDBRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Playing with new router

I have the Sagem from Sky and get OK speeds but I had a DG834Gv5 on me (belongs to work but may get my own!) so thought I'd have a look and see what it syncs like.

Stats from the Sagem were:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10235*kbps 852*kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0*db 16.1*db
      Noise Margin 7.0*db 8.5*db

Stats from the DG834Gv5 are:
      Connection Speed 10233 kbps 1095 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 14.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.75 db 8.0 db

So, the Netgear has me sync-ed 2kbps slower (probably rounding! ), while the upload sync is a lot better.

Interestingly, the Netgear reports a higher attenuation but then has a higher SNR. This seems to indicate to me that the Netgear is probably better on the line - not only the fact that the SNR has jumped so much but I've gained a reasonable amount of upload speed as well.

The question now is that as my SNR is now at 8.75db then would I get much more download sync speed if DLM were to run on my line again? If so, can I phone up CS and ask for this or would they be able to increase my sync speed?

Ideas Welcomed!

Adam

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Playing with new router

CS can remove a cap if it is in place, however I doubt the presence of a cap simply because the cap affects upload and download so the upload wouldnt have increased. In addition your downstream decreases slightly with the netgear which it shouldnt have done with the noise margin as it is - this says to me that if there is a cap that the sagem is achieving the netgear isnt quite achieving it.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have you moved house since you last posted your stats, they seem to have improved a lot.
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-d...tml#post197121

In saying that, have you checked your internal wiring, using the Test socket, as your sync is a bit low for your attenuation.

The difference in the downstream noise margin between the 2 routers is not much, it may get you another 500kbps on your downstream. I don't know why there should be so much difference in the upstream, possibly it is down to the routers using different chipsets, but I don't really know.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Afaik the DG834v5 uses a Conexant chipset, whereas the Sagam a Broadcom.

As Easynet used Conexant chipsets DSLAM's in the exchange you will get better syncs - (particulary the pesky Sky poor uploads) with a Conexant modem.

I suspect your line is capped at 10mb btw for the downstream, if it wasn't you'd get a meg or 2 more on your downstream I reckon with the DG834v5 !!!

Myself I use a Billion router with Conexant chipset.
      Syncs are.....
      Connection Speed 16380*kbps 1198*kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0*db 12.5*db
      Noise Margin 7.8*db 8.0*db

My Sky DG843gt with Broadcom chipset
      Syncs are......
      Connection Speed 14660*kbps 896*kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0*db 14*db
      Noise Margin 7.0*db 8.5*db

I have to tweak the SNR down to 4db on the Dg834gt to get the same 16380k downstream (which i'm sadly capped at) as the Billion, but the upload stays the same poor 896k.

No contest then with which one i'm using !!!!!