Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is better for gaming?

Voters
    97591. You may not vote on this poll
    • ADSL Broadband

3 0.00%
    • Cable Broadband

97,588 100.00%
    Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

General ADSL discussion

This is a discussion on General ADSL discussion within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by User05 Internal wiring issues can be sorted for about 10-15 at most. BT Quoted me over 200 ...

BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

General ADSL discussion

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Internal wiring issues can be sorted for about 10-15 at most.

BT Quoted me over 200 to repalce internal wiring with new wiring.

Or, with a bit of luck, it may simply be a set-up issue with devices improperly connected to the telephone circuit, in which case it's free to solve.

Highly doubt this is the issue. How can you set it up wrong? Wire to router, router wire to pc/console. Easy.

Trust me, I work for sky and deal with these type of issues daily where there is PSTN noise with the router plugged in. Most of the time, it's a faulty cpe. If there is noise, then it will typically cause errors which will effect sync and ping times.

I understand it's your opinion, but to tell him that his ONLY option is to move provider is incorrect. If it is a line or internal wiring issue, then he will have the same problem with a different dsl provider.

Some people in really old housing have outdated copper wire. This is expensive to fix. The only thing to do is to move to a cable provider.

There's my input. I don't need people challenging my views.

You can give you're opinion and i can give mine. Its up to the person to decide what to do.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Struggling with gaming...

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are basing that on what you see in the crappiest speedtester available. Are you on commission with Virgin? You seem to be, as this is not the first time you have told someone to go to them. I think you should remember that Virgin cover a very small portion of the geographical area of the UK. The majority of us live in areas where there is no cable and they is never likely to be any. People come here for advice on ADSL, not to read adverts for Virgin.

There you are just showing your ignorance of ADSL. Improving the internal wiring could cost a big round zero, in most cases a few pounds will make a big difference. Certainly nothing like a years subscription to Virgin.

The biggest problem is with his upload speed, which will be sorted with the wiring.

Speedtest i have found to be very accruate.

How can you say that 120ms Ping on a server around 50 miles away is not bad??

When people game online its usually with people thousand of miles away.

Ping increases over distance.

Ask any serious gamer and they will tell you that 30ms or under is accepatble.

Games like COD search for games that are 60ms or less.

I recommend cable when people dont have any other choice.

Virgin Media isnt the only Cable company in the UK.

From my experince messing with internal wiring is costly.

Upload speed wont help bring his ping down.

I say this again, my views are my views.

Theres no need to cause arguments.

Feel free to post what you think is the solution, i will do the same.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      Speedtest i have found to be very accruate.
      Well you must be using a diffeent one to everybody else because it is next to useless. You only have to see some of the speedtests on here showing 40+mb on an upto 20mb service.

I recommend cable when people dont have any other choice.
      Not that many people have that choice due to availability

Virgin Media isnt the only Cable company in the UK.
      Near as damit, cannot think of anotherone that covers the UK.

From my experince messing with internal wiring is costly.
      You must be doing it wrong, it costs nothing to remove a few wires and even if you bought a new socket and filtered faceplate you wouldn't spend over 20 delivered.

Upload speed wont help bring his ping down.
      But it won't do any harm with gaming

I say this again, my views are my views.
      Maybe but you are giving advice based on these views which are technically wrong

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT Quoted me over 200 to repalce internal wiring with new wiring.
      BT Openreach will cost you 99 call out charge and 60 odd quid per hour of work done. However, do it yourself and it's very cheap.

Highly doubt this is the issue. How can you set it up wrong? Wire to router, router wire to pc/console. Easy.
      You're showing your ignorance towards adsl knowledge. Please, do tell me how you doubt it's either: incorrectly filtered socket, no filter on a socket, faulty filter, dodgy splitter, incorrectly fitted splitter, router feeding off a rj11 extension cable, router connected to an extension socket etc. Honestly, you're advising the wrong person about how customers can get set-up wrong. In the two odd years I've worked for sky, most speed/intermittency/no sync issues are down to set-up issues. Fact.

The only thing to do is to move to a cable provider..
      You're completely entitled to your opinion, and don't misinterpret my replies as argumentative; I'm simply trying to shed some solution to the issue here. Stating that the ONLY solution is the move to a cable provider may be your opinion, but it's completely wrong that this is the only option, let alone the most feasible.

There's my input. I don't need people challenging my views.
      Again, mate, stop getting so defensive. If you voiced your opinions less like they were fact, then I wouldn't be that bothered by your statements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Well you must be using a diffeent one to everybody else because it is next to useless. You only have to see some of the speedtests on here showing 40+mb on an upto 20mb service.

Ive seen hundreds of speedtests. They have always been acurate. The only time when they are not is when you have Kasperksy Internet Security Installed.

Not that many people have that choice due to availability

Cable is actually widely available. Especially these days.

Near as damit, cannot think of anotherone that covers the UK.

There are a few cable prodicers, maybe not all of the UK but Scotland has a big provider that isn't VM. There is also VM and BT.

You must be doing it wrong, it costs nothing to remove a few wires and even if you bought a new socket and filtered faceplate you wouldn't spend over 20 delivered.

Nothing? Wires are in the walls and so on no?

But it won't do any harm with gaming

Wow, how ignorent, the whole reason he is having problems with gaming is to with his ping.

Maybe but you are giving advice based on these views which are technically wrong

Explain how they are wrong.

meh, you points seem to be void.

Exchange:
      Thanks

BT Openreach will cost you 99 call out charge and 60 odd quid per hour of work done. However, do it yourself and it's very cheap.

160? For that price i could have cable installed with much better, faster and more relaible speeds from a cable provider. Also with a lot less hassle. Again you assume everyone has the knowlege to mess about with wires themselves.

You're showing your ignorance towards adsl knowledge. Please, do tell me how you doubt it's either: incorrectly filtered socket, no filter on a socket, faulty filter, dodgy splitter, incorrectly fitted splitter, router feeding off a rj11 extension cable, router connected to an extension socket etc. Honestly, you're advising the wrong person about how customers can get set-up wrong. In the two odd years I've worked for sky, most speed/intermittency/no sync issues are down to set-up issues. Fact.

I'm sorry but I have been with MANY ADSL companies, almost all of them actually and i have never come across doing anything like that. It's very easy to follow and set up. You always get more than one filter so thats not going to be the problem.

You're completely entitled to your opinion, and don't misinterpret my replies as argumentative; I'm simply trying to shed some solution to the issue here. Stating that the ONLY solution is the move to a cable provider may be your opinion, but it's completely wrong that this is the only option, let alone the most feasible.

Clearly he wants to use his connection for gaming as well as other things. Cable is his only solution if he can get it. I dont see how else he is going to get that incredibly high ping down.

Again, mate, stop getting so defensive. If you voiced your opinions less like they were fact, then I wouldn't be that bothered by your statements.

You reply to me, i reply to you. How is it defensive?

How could i say they are possibly be fact when you yourself just mentioned they are opinions?

Well, I wait to see what ScullyBully has done and if anything he has tried has helped him.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

160? For that price i could have cable installed with much better, faster and more relaible speeds from a cable provider. Also with a lot less hassle. Again you assume everyone has the knowlege to mess about with wires themselves.
      Like a lot of things in life, you can have it done by someone or DIY. Even getting an electrician or the like would be a lot cheaper than what you'll pay for cable.

I'm sorry but I have been with MANY ADSL companies, almost all of them actually and i have never come across doing anything like that. It's very easy to follow and set up. You always get more than one filter so thats not going to be the problem.
      Again, you're seemingly patronising the wrong person here. You don't seem to grasp that it's quite easy for an end user, especially the type of 'casual' broadband customer that sky broadband is aimed at, to get the set-up incorrect or not optimum. I'd be out of a part-time job if it was that easy.

You also never answered my question - how do you know the line is not affected by a possible set-up issue, or is that just a blind assumption? You may have had adsl before, but judging from your posts I think I can safely conclude you have little real world experience of fixing adsl issues.

Clearly he wants to use his connection for gaming as well as other things. Cable is his only solution if he can get it. I dont see how else he is going to get that incredibly high ping down.
      Note in bold the word 'only' that you consistently keep using. Cable is NOT his only solution, and I'm really losing my patience as to why you can't grasp that. Read up on adsl and then perhaps you can chime in with some solid advice to get a solution for the OP.

You reply to me, i reply to you. How is it defensive?

How could i say they are possibly be fact when you yourself just mentioned they are opinions?
      I quote yourself - 'I don't need people challenging my views'. Seems defensive to me and I can easily challenge your views as they are incorrect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ the original poster - apologies this thread has went off on a tangent.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Like a lot of things in life, you can have it done by someone or DIY. Even getting an electrician or the like would be a lot cheaper than what you'll pay for cable.

Clearly not, especially if calling out an electrician dosent fix the issue.

Again, you're seemingly patronising the wrong person here. You don't seem to grasp that it's quite easy for an end user, especially the type of 'casual' broadband customer that sky broadband is aimed at, to get the set-up incorrect or not optimum. I'd be out of a part-time job if it was that easy.

Dosen't matter how casual you are. Its easy to set up and hard to get it wrong. In my experince getting it wrong means it wouldnt even work.

You also never answered my question - how do you know the line is not affected by a possible set-up issue, or is that just a blind assumption? You may have had adsl before, but judging from your posts I think I can safely conclude you have little real world experience of fixing adsl issues.

Never said it couldnt be a set up issue. Its most like not though. 99%. I would have liked the OP to respond to see what he did.

I have had every problem under the sun with ADSL back when i started with dial up. Since then i have had every major company. I had many problems and managed ot fix them.

Note in bold the word 'only' that you consistently keep using. Cable is NOT his only solution, and I'm really losing my patience as to why you can't grasp that. Read up on adsl and then perhaps you can chime in with some solid advice to get a solution for the OP.

If he can get cable, it should be his only option. If not, another prodivder made for gaming like PlusNet or Be* Broadband would be better.

I quote yourself - 'I don't need people challenging my views'. Seems defensive to me and I can easily challenge your views as they are incorrect.

Im bassically saying I dont need people telling me my advice is "incorrect".

He wants a gaming connection, please dont tell me you recomend ADSL for gaming...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ the original poster - apologies this thread has went off on a tangent.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      Its quite simple really the OP has ether poor internal wiring or setup or a external line fault,
      once thats resolved a sub 30ms ping is quite achievable on Sky llu services.

And to Broadband king the fact you even asked openreach to fix your internal wiring says you don't really understand adsl at all, which is fine but telling people to just move to a different provider is unhelpful as there are cost issues involved and virgin comes with its own set of problems.

If your internal wiring and setup are perfect then Sky are one of the best adsl providers, your speed and reliability are only limited by your line and setup because the network has no traffic restrictions and plenty of bandwidth at all times.

Although Sky are good, they are far from the best.

I would rate Be* Broadband's ADSL2+ as being the best, with upto 24 Mb / 2.5 Mb.

I have found them to give the best ping times and they also let you turn off error checking if you're conection is stabke for even lower ping.

Then i would say 02 who are bassically Be* and then thirdly Sky.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Dsldude said that they were one of the best, you said they were far from the best and then rated them third, which is it???

Remember, not everyone uses the internet for gaming so ping is not always the most important thing for everyone. Sky's pricing for totally unlimited downloads 24/7/365 with no traffic shaping must be a big feather in their cap.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast