Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is better for gaming?

Voters
    97591. You may not vote on this poll
    • ADSL Broadband

3 0.00%
    • Cable Broadband

97,588 100.00%
    Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

General ADSL discussion

This is a discussion on General ADSL discussion within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It seems pointless replying to your queries because you don't know what you are talking about but here goes. Just ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: General ADSL discussion

It seems pointless replying to your queries because you don't know what you are talking about but here goes.

Just for the record, I live a fair old distance away from London so that ping is pretty good and certainly good enough to play all online games, if you really think that you will gain any real advantage by having a ping < 15ms less than me that you really are kidding yourself, especially as most gaves have some sort of way to balance the latency.

Oh, only a MUPPET would even attempt to play on a server from the other side of the world

2. Advertisement
      BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It seems pointless replying to your queries because you don't know what you are talking about but here goes.

Just for the record, I live a fair old distance away from London so that ping is pretty good and certainly good enough to play all online games, if you really think that you will gain any real advantage by having a ping < 15ms less than me that you really are kidding yourself, especially as most gaves have some sort of way to balance the latency.

Oh, only a MUPPET would even attempt to play on a server from the other side of the world

There you go again, like everyone else, assuming that online games have servers a couple of miles away and you having twice the ping than me on that kind of distance has a difference.

Do people really not understand how it works?

When you game online, especially consoles, you don't usually have a choice on who gets to host.

Connection matters and latency difference could be me getting 40ms and you getting 80+ms.

And the comment about "playing on a server thats on the other side of the world" I have already addressed countless times.

It seems like everyone on here dosent actually read what is said but just reply for the sake of replying.

The answer is, sometimes you dont have a choice.

I dont just game on the PC where you can pick servers and see what kind of ping you get and because your connection is so high latency you probably never play with anyone thats not in the UK.

I can play whatever game i want and connect to anyone around the world, provided they have a decent cable connection, for a smooth experince...

And by not replying to my post just shows you aint got anything to say and you know im right.

So yeah, i guess you finally manned up and admitted defeat.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      And just because you're connection is terrible and speedtest proves it dosent mean speedtest is not reliable.
      So another one of your many talents is being psychic ?
      If you bothered to read any of the posts you rush into replying to without thinking you will have noticed I have never posted a speedtest.net result.
      But seeing as you are so blinkered heres a couple.

Shockingly poor compared to the 165 you quoted.

Absolutely abysmal from a shoddy ADSL connection that is good for nothing.

Even worse.

Shows how unreliable it is as I could throw a stone and hit Morecambe from here compared with the other two uk results.

Oops where did that come from.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by dholdi; 04-08-10 at 11:08 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Given that you haven't address any of my points in my previous posts due to the fact that you can't just spin your way out of them by saying the cable is better.

I assume that you are going to work for Virgin's marketing department becuase with the blinkered attitude you are showing a true fanboy attiude towards them.

It is obvious you are just trolling and I'd love to see you post some of the rubbish you are spouting on the AV forums as they would eat you for breakfast.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

To be fair to him, he has admitted now that adsl is perfectly fine for gaming on a pc where you can choose your server. Gotta give him credit for that

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      So another one of your many talents is being psychic ?
      If you bothered to read any of the posts you rush into replying to without thinking you will have noticed I have never posted a speedtest.net result.
      But seeing as you are so blinkered heres a couple.

Shockingly poor compared to the 165 you quoted.

Absolutely abysmal from a shoddy ADSL connection that is good for nothing.

Even worse.

Shows how unreliable it is as I could throw a stone and hit Morecambe from here compared with the other two uk results.

Oops where did that come from.

You're ping times are shocking.

20ms to a server RIGHT NEXT YOU.

Whereas i can hit 11ms and im 200 miles away.

Just shows how bad it is....

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Given that you haven't address any of my points in my previous posts due to the fact that you can't just spin your way out of them by saying the cable is better.

I assume that you are going to work for Virgin's marketing department becuase with the blinkered attitude you are showing a true fanboy attiude towards them.

It is obvious you are just trolling and I'd love to see you post some of the rubbish you are spouting on the AV forums as they would eat you for breakfast.

I dont think i noticed you, what were your points?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      To be fair to him, he has admitted now that adsl is perfectly fine for gaming on a pc where you can choose your server. Gotta give him credit for that

True, if you're fine with being limited to servers that are very close you to and probably the same batch of people playing again and again.

Cable gives the freedom of branching out a bit, showing the americans who's boss on their own servers.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you think that 10ms makes a dot of difference to gaming then you are deluded.

The bottom line is that 90% of people who play online games are using ADSL without a problem, I have played many games and for quite a few different clans over the years, some of them to a high standard, all on ADSL unless we arranged a meet and used a local network and all without issue.

Have a practice on Halo3 and then let me know when you think your connection will ensure you a win, I will be waiting

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      You're ping times are shocking.

20ms to a server RIGHT NEXT YOU.

Whereas i can hit 11ms and im 200 miles away.

Just shows how bad it is....
      I hope you are not studying geography at that university because if you are I would quit now. Or is your head that far up speedtests ass that you actually believe the distance from Preston to Maidenhead is less than 50 miles ?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast