Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is better for gaming?

Voters
    97591. You may not vote on this poll
    • ADSL Broadband

3 0.00%
    • Cable Broadband

97,588 100.00%
    Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

General ADSL discussion

This is a discussion on General ADSL discussion within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Go to speedtest and at the top there is a "my results" section. Copy and paste the direct link. I ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: General ADSL discussion

Go to speedtest and at the top there is a "my results" section.

Copy and paste the direct link.
      I never knew that.

I have no idea how you have multiple servers for maidenhead. I only see one.
      There is the Speedtest server and we have a server there for Ventrilo (voice comms)

I have no idea how you have multiple servers for maidenhead. I only see one.

Also again, i am not taking about a few milisecounds, im talking about over bigger distances.

Like i said post results from New Zealand and you will see.

Here is the same test on VM off someone I know. So not that much different proportionately. They are on 20meg VM Broadband.

Here's another on the VM connection.

Whats cheaper?
      Again you are comparing apples to oranges, 1) I cannot get VM anyway 2) I have no need for 20meg or even 50meg - I do not download anything, and for gaming no game server would ever throw out that high a speed anyway.

It's a bit like a website, whether you look at it using 1meg or 50meg there is no actual delivery difference.

You ever considered a console?
      I actually have an Xbox, an Xbox 360 and a PS3 - Unfortunately I do not like the controllers and for playing first person shooters is just not very accurate at all.

But this issue to do more with Sky Broadband and latency, not Be* who would be my second choice for broadband anyway.
      Like I said on Sky, the difference for me was like the difference between your results and my o2 results. Very little in it. As for reliability, and everyday use, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Sky Broadband.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I never knew that.

That isnt the maidenhead server.

Thats a different one.

Thats why to Miadenhead you get 24 (i get 14, big difference when im further away as well) and 64ms to this one, they are different servers.

Here is mine, there is a differemce amd 10ms is a lot when your at these kinds of pings:

Here is the same test on VM off someone I know. So not that much different proportionately. They are on 20meg VM Broadband.

Here's another on the VM connection.

That happens when Kaspersky is installed or some other program :P

Again you are comparing apples to oranges, 1) I cannot get VM anyway 2) I have no need for 20meg or even 50meg - I do not download anything, and for gaming no game server would ever throw out that high a speed anyway.

It's a bit like a website, whether you look at it using 1meg or 50meg there is no actual delivery difference.

Then like i said you have no problem.

That still dosent mean you could beat me in an online game simply because youre connection wouldnt allow it.

I actually have an Xbox, an Xbox 360 and a PS3 - Unfortunately I do not like the controllers and for playing first person shooters is just not very accurate at all.

Gears is Third Person and perfectly playable with a controller.

Like I said on Sky, the difference for me was like the difference between your results and my o2 results. Very little in it. As for reliability, and everyday use, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Sky Broadband.
      I guess your opinion is yours.

The fact can be seen that when it comes to gaming, the more mainstream Console gaming, ping matters and what ISP you chose matters.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

This thread has long diverted from the actual point. The 'debate' was originally whether we could offer any advice on how to fix a customer's connection for gaming.

Let me get your 'logic' straight, BroadBandKiiNG, just so I have this right:

A customer has 128kbps upstream with no SNR spare. Also, he has audible noise on the landline whilst the router is plugged in. It's obvious that there is a fault somewhere as audible noise on the line should not be a by-product of adsl.

However, you reckon that there is no fault and the only way to fix his issue is to move to a cable provider? Also, your only 'experience', which is a term I'm using very lightly here, is because 'you've had adsl with previous providers'?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That isnt the maidenhead server.

Thats a different one.

Thats why to Miadenhead you get 24 (i get 14, big difference when im further away as well) and 64ms to this one, they are different servers.
      You are correct, it isn't the Maidenhead one. I apologise. I have just tried that one again and it is even worse.

Here is the Maidenhead one.

So as you can see not consistant.

Here is mine, there is a differemce amd 10ms is a lot when your at these kinds of pings:
      This is where we differ, I would not even think of playing on a server 8000 miles away. Logic tells you, just like an aeroplane or a boat, it would take an age to get there. So that point is really irrelevant.

That still dosent mean you could beat me in an online game simply because youre connection wouldnt allow it.
      Theres more to playing a game than just pings. When you get BFBC2 we can then compare.

The fact can be seen that when it comes to gaming, the more mainstream Console gaming, ping matters and what ISP you chose matters.
      Going back to what I said before, very few ISPs cater for gamers, people would hardly consider that in their quest to get broadband. I would even bet a tenner, that most people would buy their broadband based on price alone.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I am still waiting to hear how ADSL which is a run of copper line to the exchange is better than cable though for signal speed.

Also currently recent studies of the world cup coverage on the internet showed the the internet backhaul is now woefully lacking with more and more customers getting faster and faster yet there hasn't been any upgrades to the infrastructure that is needed. So as traffic becomes more and more of an issue pings will become more and more variable as servers have to workwith even greater loads.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      This thread has long diverted from the actual point. The 'debate' was originally whether we could offer any advice on how to fix a customer's connection for gaming.

Let me get your 'logic' straight, BroadBandKiiNG, just so I have this right:

A customer has 128kbps upstream with no SNR spare. Also, he has audible noise on the landline whilst the router is plugged in. It's obvious that there is a fault somewhere as audible noise on the line should not be a by-product of adsl.

However, you reckon that there is no fault and the only way to fix his issue is to move to a cable provider? Also, your only 'experience', which is a term I'm using very lightly here, is because 'you've had adsl with previous providers'?

Theres no point arguing with you.

If ScullyBully ever gets his connection "fixed" then you can respond and i will admit i was wrong.

The point is he will not get his ping below 60ms on that server which is still very bad for what he uses his connection for, gaming.

I have had every problem under the sun with ADSL and spent hours on the phone with CS.

The end problem that made be switch was disconections. After 6 - 8 months of getting any ADSL ISP i would get Disconnections constantly.

Ive been with VM for over a year and half and never had one problem.

Partly because Cable > ADSL.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      If I have understood this correctly, we have actually split the thread off from the original and now called it "General ADSL discusion". Not being pedantic, but I was arguing over CABLE v ADSL which to me is classed as general discussion.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You are correct, it isn't the Maidenhead one. I apologise. I have just tried that one again and it is even worse.

Its worse because you're connection is most likely not stable. Ping dosent stay the same on bad connections, it jumps up and down known as Jitter.

Here is the Maidenhead one.

So as you can see not consistant.

Yes, i can see you have jitter on you're connection.

Whatever server i use i ALWAYS get the same Speed, Same ping.

This is where we differ, I would not even think of playing on a server 8000 miles away. Logic tells you, just like an aeroplane or a boat, it would take an age to get there. So that point is really irrelevant.

No, its irrelavent to you.

With Games Like Gears If War, it searches for games WORLDWIDE. You have no choice in terms of region.

Theres more to playing a game than just pings. When you get BFBC2 we can then compare.

Im afriad FPS games dont appeal to me and I wouldnt ever get BFBC2.

I will always be a gears guy.

Going back to what I said before, very few ISPs cater for gamers, people would hardly consider that in their quest to get broadband. I would even bet a tenner, that most people would buy their broadband based on price alone.

Price is never an issue to me.

I have seen countless people on PS Forums, Xbox Forums, everywhere switch ISP just because the gaming connection was bad, not always ADSL to Cable but gaming isps like Be* and PlusNet and also 02.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I'd like to see how the heavily managed lower cable packages compare because I can's see them performing as good as the servers that the 50 meg/sec connections are on which were built from scratch.

But given that the 50 meg/sec cable package is 28 per month with 76,000 customers and millions of people are on LLU connections for around 10 a month I reckon that price is the deciding factor when deciding what ISP to go with.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      Theres no point arguing with you.
      Yes, you're right, as I'm far more experienced than you in regards to fixing adsl issues. Ultimately, in the first thread we were chatting on, you are incorrect.

The point is he will not get his ping below 60ms on that server which is still very bad for what he uses his connection for, gaming.
      He won't get below 60ms on the Birmingham server that he originally tested it on? Well, here's mine off a shoddy wireless connection and also four times the distance he was from the server.

I have had every problem under the sun with ADSL and spent hours on the phone with CS.

The end problem that made be switch was disconections. After 6 - 8 months of getting any ADSL ISP i would get Disconnections constantly.
      I'm sure your disconnection issue could have been sorted pretty easily, as 99% of no sync/intermittent sync/slow sync are.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast