Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is better for gaming?

Voters
    97591. You may not vote on this poll
    • ADSL Broadband

3 0.00%
    • Cable Broadband

97,588 100.00%
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

General ADSL discussion

This is a discussion on General ADSL discussion within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG Clearly not, especially if calling out an electrician dosent fix the issue. So you are in ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Struggling with gaming...

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post

Clearly not, especially if calling out an electrician dosent fix the issue.
      So you are in the habit of paying people to not fix things ?

Dosen't matter how casual you are. Its easy to set up and hard to get it wrong. In my experince getting it wrong means it wouldnt even work.
      It is easy to setup, however the wiring we are talking about which is the most likely cause of the issue is internal phone wiring.

Never said it couldnt be a set up issue. Its most like not though. 99%. I would have liked the OP to respond to see what he did.

I have had every problem under the sun with ADSL back when i started with dial up. Since then i have had every major company. I had many problems and managed ot fix them.
      99% it is either internal or external wiring. If internal it should as others have already stated cost less than 20 to resolve.

If he can get cable, it should be his only option. If not, another prodivder made for gaming like PlusNet or Be* Broadband would be better.
      Rubbish, your speedtest shows a ping of 28. I used to get that with Sky and now with O2 I get 22. I can also get Virgin down our street, does that mean I would be better off getting cable ?

Im bassically saying I dont need people telling me my advice is "incorrect".
      If thats what you need then your best option would be to stop giving it, your advice that is.

He wants a gaming connection, please dont tell me you recomend ADSL for gaming...
      Rubbish yet again, your previous post recommends 3 providers and yet you state adsl is no good for gaming ???????????????

Now where did I put that logo ...................
      Last edited by dholdi; 31-07-10 at 01:01 AM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Clearly not, especially if calling out an electrician dosent fix the issue.
      I don't think we should go on about the internal wiring aspect, as it's clear which opinion is correct judging from other posts on the subject.

Dosen't matter how casual you are. Its easy to set up and hard to get it wrong. In my experince getting it wrong means it wouldnt even work. Never said it couldnt be a set up issue. Its most like not though. 99%. I would have liked the OP to respond to see what he did.
      Your experience, however, is very limited. Who do you reckon is in the right - you, who has been with a few adsl providers, or me, who has worked consistently 20 hours a week for two odd years for an ISP and first hand fixed countless issues down to internal things such as set-up.

If he can get cable, it should be his only option. If not, another prodivder made for gaming like PlusNet or Be* Broadband would be better.
      Pings in the 20s are easily achievable with sky LLU. If someone wants to pay a lot more for about 5-10ms difference, then fair dues, but unless you're very serious about gaming, I'd be at a loss why anyone would do that.

Im bassically saying I dont need people telling me my advice is "incorrect".

He wants a gaming connection, please dont tell me you recomend ADSL for gaming...
      Yes, and I'm basically telling you that you are incorrect. I don't know how else to put this, but things in life often have numerous solutions, this situation being one of them. To tell the original poster that they have one, and only one, solution in this instance is incorrect and most probably not the most feasible.

And, yes, I would recommend adsl for gaming.

BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      So you are in the habit of paying people to not fix things ?

There is something called a "call out charge".

It is easy to setup, however the wiring we are talking about which is the most likely cause of the issue is internal phone wiring.

Internal phone wiring is expensive to fix and replace if you dont know what you are doing. My guess is if you do know what you are doing then I think you wouldnt have many problems with youre connection to begin with.

99% it is either internal or external wiring. If internal it should as others have already stated cost less than 20 to resolve.

If you know how, if you did, you would have tried it already, no?

Rubbish, your speedtest shows a ping of 28. I used to get that with Sky and now with O2 I get 22. I can also get Virgin down our street, does that mean I would be better off getting cable ?

Can i see the speedtest?

1. The only way you can get lower is if you are closer to the server, i am 250 Miles away here in Manchester.

2. When there is no load on the server i have hit 11 ms ping.

If thats what you need then your best option would be to stop giving it, your advice that is.

No thanks, i kind of like helping people.

Rubbish yet again, your previous post recommends 3 providers and yet you state adsl is no good for gaming ???????????????

How daft can someone be?

The three providers were if you have no choice with cable, THEN they are best for gaming.

Now where did I put that logo ...................

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I don't think we should go on about the internal wiring aspect, as it's clear which opinion is correct judging from other posts on the subject.

If you say so.

Your experience, however, is very limited. Who do you reckon is in the right - you, who has been with a few adsl providers, or me, who has worked consistently 20 hours a week for two odd years for an ISP and first hand fixed countless issues down to internal things such as set-up.

If you say so.

Pings in the 20s are easily achievable with sky LLU. If someone wants to pay a lot more for about 5-10ms difference, then fair dues, but unless you're very serious about gaming, I'd be at a loss why anyone would do that.

Wait, clearly you have no clue what you are saying?

Ping depends on a number of things, simply saying you can achieve 20 is just stupid.

You do a speedtest to ANY Russian Server on Speedtest and let me see you hit 20ms ping.

And with a good connection the difference is seen more over a big distance which gaming demands.

Do a speed test to a server in New Zealand and i will also.

We will see if its only 5 - 10ms difference.

Yes, and I'm basically telling you that you are incorrect. I don't know how else to put this, but things in life often have numerous solutions, this situation being one of them. To tell the original poster that they have one, and only one, solution in this instance is incorrect and most probably not the most feasible.

Numerous solutions?

I bet messing around with internal wiring and his setup wont fix the issue.

And, yes, I would recommend adsl for gaming.

So i guess people who play online and ask "why am i lagging?" is usally followed by "are you on adsl" and they respond "yes".

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you say so.
      At least you admit you are wrong, I'll give you that.

If you say so.
      Again, admitting you're very inexperienced with fixing adsl problems is admirable.

Wait, clearly you have no clue what you are saying?

Ping depends on a number of things, simply saying you can achieve 20 is just stupid.

You do a speedtest to ANY Russian Server on Speedtest and let me see you hit 20ms ping.
      Now, you're just being pedantic. You know fine rightly I mean to a close server/host. I understand your arguments are paper thin and lack any substance, but that statement that I have no clue what I'm talking about is soaking in irony.

Numerous solutions?

I bet messing around with internal wiring and his setup wont fix the issue.
      You have little to no experience of adsl which is clearly portrayed by your posts. Go do a bit of reading as you're not helping anyone here.

Let's stop cluttering this thread up. If you want to continue this, then start a new thread. As for the bottom line, I think it's obvious for anyone that reads this who they will acknowledge as giving the correct advice. I think it's perhaps time to take a break from the gaming world and step into the real world.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      At least you admit you are wrong, I'll give you that.

Clearly there is no getting through to you.

Again, admitting you're very inexperienced with fixing adsl problems is admirable.

As above.

Now, you're just being pedantic. You know fine rightly I mean to a close server/host. I understand your arguments are paper thin and lack any substance, but that statement that I have no clue what I'm talking about is soaking in irony.

Erm, you were talking in general as if you didnt have a clue how ping works.

You have little to no experience of adsl which is clearly portrayed by your posts. Go do a bit of reading as you're not helping anyone here.

Meh, i have plenty of experince with ADSL. I know when you get a provider who has super high pings is not worth staying with.

Let's stop cluttering this thread up. If you want to continue this, then start a new thread. As for the bottom line, I think it's obvious for anyone that reads this who they will acknowledge as giving the correct advice. I think it's perhaps time to take a break from the gaming world and step into the real world.

I see you missed out the bit where i challenged you on how good Sky is for gaming.

I see you can't back up what you are saying.

And all you're advice of it being internal wiring will either be too expensive to fix or wont even fix the problem ScullyBully had.

So you can claim to know all you want.

ADSL should not be used for gaming, especially with Sky.

And for the record I havent played a game in a few months and wont play till the next Gears of War, in which people with ADSL connections will ruin.

If you're still confident that Sky can provide good ping times take up the challenge i set you.

Same goes for dsldude.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: General ADSL discussion

ADSL should not be used for gaming, especially with Sky.
      What package are you on or were?

I was on Sky Max for 3 years and never had any issues playing games online.

If you're still confident that Sky can provide good ping times take up the challenge i set you.
      My pings were approx 35 which is more than good enough for gaming. Granted I get 22 now on o2 but I never left Sky for the quality of service, purely for the cashback and the end result of free broadband for a year. In fact in December it is more than likely that I shall return to Sky BB

The only possible broadband package that is awful for gaming from Sky is the Connect offering, and that is widely known on here anyway.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I would not go back to Virgin/NTL if I was given their top package for free.

Their connections to the internet are not particulary good and when I was playing WoW I got awful high latency and frequent disconnects which is still a problem 5 years on for Virgin customers.

Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with, I had to wait for 2 months after getting their broadband for it to work as the installer was unable to put the correct resistors on the line to give me the correct signal strength.

I also had a set top box with smoke coming out of it and the viewing card was melting yet they refused to send somebody out and so I told them to stick it.

Only 76,000 people are on their top 50 meg package the rest of the poor schllubs are subjected to severe traffic management and bandwidth throttling.

There is nothing wrong with ADSL the vast majority of broadband users in the country are on it, the main problem is that some peoples houses may have had their house phone line installed decades ago and when it was just for voice services with no thought for the future.

A filtered faceplate with the router connected to that doesn't cost much, it is easy to do and would remove any internal wiring issue.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Meh, i have plenty of experince with ADSL. I know when you get a provider who has super high pings is not worth staying with.
      No, you clearly don't though. You're attempting to argue with someone who fixes adsl and pstn issues for an ISP. You're suggesting you're experienced, but you maintain the logic that internal wiring costs more than 20 to fix, despite that numerous other posters have confirmed internal wiring is cheap to fix. What don't you get? I reckon you're just ignorant and don't want to admit you're wrong.

I see you can't back up what you are saying.
      You make these statements, yet you can't challenge anything I've said as incorrect.

And all you're advice of it being internal wiring will either be too expensive to fix or wont even fix the problem ScullyBully had.
      First off, learn the difference between "you're" and "your". Juvenile mistake, really.

Second off, this argument is really going nowhere as all you're doing is speculating by suggesting that nothing suggested will fix the EU's issue. Your lack of knowledge on adsl doesn't exactly help your argument.

So you can claim to know all you want.
      Thanks, man. I like compliments.

If you're going to come back with the same 'argument' that I'm not experienced with adsl (ha) then please don't, as I'm getting bored now. I don't care enough about gaming or ping to argue much more about this, but here's the facts that you cannot dispute:

- Notice the EU's upstream on the original thread. Notice the SNR. There's something wrong there. This will either be down to set-up, internal wiring, the cpe or a line fault. Fact.
      - Fixing internal wiring is cheap. Fact.
      - Moving ISP is not the only option. Fact.

DarrylWilliams87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Merthyr Tydfil (SWMT/EX)
      Broadband ISP: Xilo(Uno Broadband) atm soon Sky
      Thanks

Anyone who pays BT to fix all their wiring is just plain dumb,

Plug a phone into the test socket dial 17070 number 2 if theres noise its BT's problem so its free, If its from your end then replace the filter with a decent filtered faceplate.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast