Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is better for gaming?

Voters
    97591. You may not vote on this poll
    • ADSL Broadband

3 0.00%
    • Cable Broadband

97,588 100.00%
    Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

General ADSL discussion

This is a discussion on General ADSL discussion within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dholdi I hope you are not studying geography at that university because if you are I would ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: General ADSL discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I hope you are not studying geography at that university because if you are I would quit now. Or is your head that far up speedtests ass that you actually believe the distance from Preston to Maidenhead is less than 50 miles ?
      LMAO, isin't it round the corner then???

2. Advertisement
      BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you think that 10ms makes a dot of difference to gaming then you are deluded.

The bottom line is that 90% of people who play online games are using ADSL without a problem, I have played many games and for quite a few different clans over the years, some of them to a high standard, all on ADSL unless we arranged a meet and used a local network and all without issue.

Have a practice on Halo3 and then let me know when you think your connection will ensure you a win, I will be waiting

Again, you only see the smaller picture.

10ms is a lot when im much further away from the server than you are.

So imagine connectin to a server thats further from you than me, then we will see more of an increase.

And yes, in gaming, even 10ms can make a difference to how the game plays...

But yeah it just shows how poor youre adsl connection is.

The bottom line is 90% of gamers are not on ADSL.

Virgin Media is the Second biggest ISP in the UK, i think they have more than 10% share.

Gamers know they need a good connection and will usually have Cable, maybe not so much in the UK but definately in other countries...

Meh, i dont like Halo. Have a practice at Gear's, ill get an oversees friend to host a 1v1 and you're connection will ensure i absolutely thrash you...

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

For the love of God, if you're at University, surely you must know the difference between you're and your?!

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Once again what a load of tosh your spouting, there is no way that 90% of games players are only on Virgin, as they only have 10% market share it is safe to assume that around 10% of the UK gamers will be on Virgin and possible quite a lot less given how bad their traffic management and throttling is on the bottom packages.

You can spout on about ping etc but given that console games are only using central servers for player matching then an ad-hoc p2p network is setup for the game.

Given that 90% of the world's ISPs heavily traffic shape p2p packets you can't really tell what is happening unless you monitor the network your on whilst playing.

As you admitted you hadn't even bothered reading any of my posts yet you moan that nobody reads your posts I shall once again spell it out to you once again what rubbish you spout.

ADSL is the method from getting the data from the exchange to the house, up to a few miles in some cases, how does cable supposedly be so much better when the only real difference is a couple of miles.

It is pointless doing stupid speed tests around the world as that has nothing to do with your connection, your ISP has only a few hops on their servers until it hits the internet backhaul where all sorts of conditions control ping speeds, distace being a very small component.

BBC.co.uk is a more useful test as the short distance involved will incorporate a greater proportion of your line/ISP servers and so you can see if there is a problem in the local network, doing to new zealand etc will just show you what is happening elsewhere in the world which your ISP will have no control over.

I have enough of feeding the troll, it is obvious that you are completely ignorant on how the internet actually works and this discussion is going nowhere as you clearly belive all the hype that Virgin pump out.

Mods can we close this thread as it is now grown pointless.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I have enough of feeding the troll, it is obvious that you are completely ignorant on how the internet actually works and this discussion is going nowhere as you clearly belive all the hype that Virgin pump out.

LOL, I know what you mean Adrian but this thread has provided me with much amusement over the last week and the potential for further entertainment is immense.

Eg

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      10ms is a lot when im much further away from the server than you are.
      So is 10ms when you are 20 miles away different to 10ms when you are 100 miles away ?

Your right the guy is a troll, why join a Sky forum when his only tie in with sky is HD then proceed to post 51 useless posts re broadband and 1 about HD which was no more usefull than any of the broadband ones.

I say leave it open as he is probably that daft he doesnt realize the whole forum is in hysterics at him anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      For the love of God, if you're at University, surely you must know the difference between you're and your?!

Please quote me when i said im at university.

And ive explained to you before but again you continue to spam. I type really fast. I dont care about spelling on an internet forum.

My points are made nonetheless, no?

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Once again what a load of tosh your spouting, there is no way that 90% of games players are only on Virgin, as they only have 10% market share it is safe to assume that around 10% of the UK gamers will be on Virgin and possible quite a lot less given how bad their traffic management and throttling is on the bottom packages.

Never saud 90% of gamers are on Virgin. It is you who is talking a load of tosh.

You can spout on about ping etc but given that console games are only using central servers for player matching then an ad-hoc p2p network is setup for the game.

A player hosts in consoles games, except some PS3 games which use dedicated servers.

When players are hosting, ADSL connections provide lag/freezes.

Explain how i always get host on MW2/Halo 3 whereas an ADSL connection never does when im in the game?

Given that 90% of the world's ISPs heavily traffic shape p2p packets you can't really tell what is happening unless you monitor the network your on whilst playing.

What a load of tosh.

One of the biggest ISP's for cable in America dosent traffic shape and is promoted for gaming:

Verizon | FiOS Internet Service (High Speed, Fiber-Optic, Broadband, Internet)

As you admitted you hadn't even bothered reading any of my posts yet you moan that nobody reads your posts I shall once again spell it out to you once again what rubbish you spout.

ADSL is the method from getting the data from the exchange to the house, up to a few miles in some cases, how does cable supposedly be so much better when the only real difference is a couple of miles.

Erm, Speed's and ping times are evident of how much better Fiber optic cables are....

It is pointless doing stupid speed tests around the world as that has nothing to do with your connection, your ISP has only a few hops on their servers until it hits the internet backhaul where all sorts of conditions control ping speeds, distace being a very small component.

Distant is a big component, nothing to do with connections? Then why does you're connection have over double the latency of my connection?

BBC.co.uk is a more useful test as the short distance involved will incorporate a greater proportion of your line/ISP servers and so you can see if there is a problem in the local network, doing to new zealand etc will just show you what is happening elsewhere in the world which your ISP will have no control over.

Incorrect, bbc.co.uk will have its server based in London and therefore ping times for people closer to that area will have better pings..

I didnt see you make any major points.

You still didnt address how your connection has twice the latency of mine....

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      LOL, I know what you mean Adrian but this thread has provided me with much amusement over the last week and the potential for further entertainment is immense.

Eg

So is 10ms when you are 20 miles away different to 10ms when you are 100 miles away ?

Your right the guy is a troll, why join a Sky forum when his only tie in with sky is HD then proceed to post 51 useless posts re broadband and 1 about HD which was no more usefull than any of the broadband ones.

I say leave it open as he is probably that daft he doesnt realize the whole forum is in hysterics at him anyway.

Erm, hypocrite much?

Thanks

Please quote me when i said im at university.
      Taken from post #28 of this thread.

My college internet (taken from The University of Manchester) was 100 / 100 Mb and it achieved 10ms to bbc, so my 13ms aint bad....
      Granted it does mention college as well.

Thanks

Erm, hypocrite much?
      I guess you are refering to me being on O2 ?
      I had Sky BB for 3 years prior to this, so do have some experience of it.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast