Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

uploads and downloads

This is a discussion on uploads and downloads within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Heres a general question.. not specific to sky.. Why are upload speeds so much slower than download speeds ??? Chris...

krustynutz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208 310 2***
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

uploads and downloads

Heres a general question.. not specific to sky..

Why are upload speeds so much slower than download speeds ???

Chris

2. Advertisement
      BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: uploads and downloads

The uploads are lower because when you are borwsing the internet you are Downloading.

When you want to get music/movies you download.

Most users only require download speeds to be quick.

I very rarely will upload on the PC, its only when im hosting in games on the 360/ps3 that upload is important and even then only 1 Mb is really needed.

Thats why generally companies like to push "superfast" connections and only really state the download speed as its what most people are intrested in.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

krustynutz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208 310 2***
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

So.. could you get a faster up;oad if you needed it ???
      I actually upload more than I download ..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky provide an 'up to 1.3Mb but being able to get this depends on the distance from the exchange and the quality of the line. If your connection is properly configured you will be getting as much as you can. ADSL, being what it is, asymmetric, divides the line into frequencies with a large portion allocated to download and a much smaller part to upload. I believe it is possible to 'move' a larger part of the frequency to upload, but your chances of getting this done are zero. SDSL(Symmetric) allocates the bandwidth equally, but this is not normally used for home broadband.

If you really need a quick upload speed then you should look at BT Infinity, which is available in many parts of the country. This can give an upload speed of 10Mb and download of 40Mb. - BT, or their resellers, are going to steal a lot of users from other ISPs, including Virgin with this service.

BT Infinity – How to get fibre optic broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krustynutz View Post
      So.. could you get a faster up;oad if you needed it ???
      I actually upload more than I download ..

Depends what kind of upload speed you want.

The UK generally has poor upload speeds, unless you are on Business/Private connections.

For you're home you got options like:

Virgin Media - In the Future will have much higher upload speeds, around the 3rd quarter of this year or by the end of this year.

BT - You should check as they offer upto 10 Mb upload but when i checked they said i could only get 1.2 Upload.

Be Broadband - If you're willing to sacrifice some download speed you can get upto 2.5 Mb upload.

You're best bet is Virgin Media, both for Download speed and Upload speed.

They are set to upgrade their 50 Mb package to around 5 Mb with their new 100 Mb roumered to be 10 Mb upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just noticed that you have a London number. You are among the favoured ones who are getting BT fibre before the rest of the country, so you will have, or will soon have, access to BT Infinity.

You should remove your partial phone number and just put in your exchange name.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just noticed that you have a London number. You are among the favoured ones who are getting BT fibre before the rest of the country, so you will have, or will soon have, access to BT Infinity.

You should remove your partial phone number and just put in your exchange name.

As i said before BT Infinity looks to be decent with upload speeds but what i got quoted for Download speed wasnt impressive.