Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Struggling with gaming...

This is a discussion on Struggling with gaming... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been struggling for a while now when playing on my PS3 at home. It was severely lagging while wireless ...

ScullyBully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Struggling with gaming...

I've been struggling for a while now when playing on my PS3 at home. It was severely lagging while wireless so I tried wired and there's little to no change.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2688 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 7.0 db

Any ideas on what I can do to sort this?

As well as this I have crackling on my phone line while the router is turned on, which I don't expect any of you to help me fix but just adding this in incase it's a contributing factor to the problem.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Struggling with gaming...

Quote Originally Posted by ScullyBully View Post
      As well as this I have crackling on my phone line while the router is turned on, which I don't expect any of you to help me fix but just adding this in incase it's a contributing factor to the problem.
      That will be adding to the problem. If you unplug the router's dsl cable (you should be using the short grey dsl cable sky supplied), does that noise disappear from the phone line?

ScullyBully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      That will be adding to the problem. If you unplug the router's dsl cable (you should be using the short grey dsl cable sky supplied), does that noise disappear from the phone line?
      Currently at work but i'll have a crack at doing that later on, thanks.

BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You're struggling because you ping is RIDICULASLY high.

You will definitely lag a lot online.

Only thing you can do is try to switch to cable if you can get it in you're area.

If you cant then try a better ISP like Be Broadband and PlusNet.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      Only thing you can do is try to switch to cable if you can get it in you're area.
      That is not the 'only' thing he can do. I can guarantee you there's either an internal wiring issue, line issue or a router/dsl cable issue going on. Once resolved, the ping will lower and the upstream shoot up.

BroadBandKiiNG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 50 Mb
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      That is not the 'only' thing he can do. I can guarantee you there's either an internal wiring issue, line issue or a router/dsl cable issue going on. Once resolved, the ping will lower and the upstream shoot up.
      If it's internal wiring issues within the house then the amount it will cost him it would have been better to switch to cable as it would have paid for the whole years worth.

I highly doubt its a Router/DSL cable issues as these kinds of ridiculas pings do occur on ADSL connections.

His options are pretty much what i suggested, switch to cable if you can or switch provider in this case, nothing agaisnt Sky, I have been with them in the past and while the DL speed's were good the ping speed was ok aswell.

Different people will have different experinces. Its just my opinion on what he should do.

Upload Will Be Upgraded In Q3 to Around 5 Mb - 10 Mb.

Speed Wil Be Upgraded in Q4 2010 / Q1 2011 to 100 Mb DL and 10 - 20 Mb Upload.

AlienWare Area -51 ALX ~ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ~ Nvidia 780i Mobo ~ Intel QuadCore Extreme @ 3.2 Ghz + Water Cooling ~ Nvidia 295 GTX GPU ~ 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadBandKiiNG View Post
      If it's internal wiring issues within the house then the amount it will cost him it would have been better to switch to cable as it would have paid for the whole years worth.

I highly doubt its a Router/DSL cable issues as these kinds of ridiculas pings do occur on ADSL connections.

His options are pretty much what i suggested, switch to cable if you can or switch provider in this case, nothing agaisnt Sky, I have been with them in the past and while the DL speed's were good the ping speed was ok aswell.

Different people will have different experinces. Its just my opinion on what he should do.
      Internal wiring issues can be sorted for about 10-15 at most. Or, with a bit of luck, it may simply be a set-up issue with devices improperly connected to the telephone circuit, in which case it's free to solve.

Trust me, I work for sky and deal with these type of issues daily where there is PSTN noise with the router plugged in. Most of the time, it's a faulty cpe. If there is noise, then it will typically cause errors which will effect sync and ping times.

I understand it's your opinion, but to tell him that his ONLY option is to move provider is incorrect. If it is a line or internal wiring issue, then he will have the same problem with a different dsl provider.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You're struggling because you ping is RIDICULASLY high.
      You are basing that on what you see in the crappiest speedtester available. Are you on commission with Virgin? You seem to be, as this is not the first time you have told someone to go to them. I think you should remember that Virgin cover a very small portion of the geographical area of the UK. The majority of us live in areas where there is no cable and they is never likely to be any. People come here for advice on ADSL, not to read adverts for Virgin.

There you are just showing your ignorance of ADSL. Improving the internal wiring could cost a big round zero, in most cases a few pounds will make a big difference. Certainly nothing like a years subscription to Virgin.

The biggest problem is with his upload speed, which will be sorted with the wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

If this is a wiring issue, which it most certainly sounds like, how will changing to a different isp help ?
      The underlying problem will still exist whichever isp is used.
      The line attenuation suggests shows quite a distance from the exchange, which suggests maybe a rural location - hardly enticing for Mr Branson.
      As suggested, investigate and rectify any wiring issue and when sorted speak to sky about reducing max delays which should result in a ping similar to the one demonstrated above on the mighty virgin.

F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Sorry can't hold it in anymore, i've worked for both ADSL and Cable vendors (don't want to name names) and i have to say that 'In my opion' BroadbandKiiNG seems to have only joined to pick a fight (thats my opinon) And User05 is simply putting the facts on the table.

So now onto the definition of lag / ping.....

In real-time applications, the term of 'lag' is used when the application fails to respond in a timely fashion to inputs. Most commonly used in online video games to mean the game not being able to properly maintain the game's speed or communication to a server.

In distributed applications, lag is often caused by communication latency, which is the time taken for a sent packet of data to be received at the other end. It includes the time to encode the packet for transmission and transmit it, the time for that data to traverse the network equipment between the nodes, and the time to receive and decode the data.

So baring in mind the above please explain how the OP's upload isn't a possible cause? and how moving to a cable solution is going to help btw only about 30 - 40% of the country live in an area that is supplied, don't get me wrong cable is wonderful and all but why got to all the trouble of having cable connected if a simple check of the cables can fix the existing connection?

And to quote a previous post "meh, you points seem to be void." And remember these are simply opinions of someone that has worked in the industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast