Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with speed?

This is a discussion on Help with speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Just joined Sky last month and was initially having my connection speed at around 13000Kbps with download speeds of ...

zubin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with speed?

Hi,

Just joined Sky last month and was initially having my connection speed at around 13000Kbps with download speeds of around 11000Kbps, which i thought was quite low. So after contacting Sky they reconfigured it so that my stats from the router now look like:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 97191 94990 0 347 1840 14:58:59
      LAN 10M/100M 76648 82526 0 1594 277 15:50:36
      WLAN 11M/54M 56551 53637 0 916 198 15:44:50

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16376 kbps 1026 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 11.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 8.0 db

So it looks like my connection speed has increased by 3000Kbps but the speed test gives me only a 500Kbp increase...

Your current download speed is 11592Kbps, and your current upload speed is 817Kbps.

Should I expect an increase in speed in the rough range that connection speed has increased? Or is that wishful thinking? (All stats were taken from the test socket)

Any thoughts on whether I should contact Sky about this?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help with speed?

With your sync speed you should get 14-14.5Mbs download speed, so you are a bit low. If you are running XP download and use TCPOptimiser from the link below to optimise your connection settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Tom,

I'm on a Mac but i have used a Mac equivalent of TCPOptimiser.

I sometimes get 12/13Mbs around non peak times, could it just be congestion? If the rest of my stats are alright and Sky can't squeeze out any more speed then I guess I'm alright with it...

Cheers

Thanks

I forgot to ask, are you using a wireless connection? If so that would account for the lower than expected download speed. Wireless is very seldom as fast as an ethernet connection.

As far as I know there is no congestion on LLU lines, although you might get a bit of speed difference due to noise on the line at different times. If you are using the test socket you are not going to get any more speed and I don't think Sky will be able to help as your noise margin is near the default.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Tom.

The stats are taken from a wired connection. I guess I'm at the optimal speed then. One last quick question re noise margin. The guide here suggests that the higher the better but others say that lower but above 6db is best. But does a higher noise margin affect speed? (i'm aware that mine is close to default but i have noticed it reaching 13db on the odd days.

Thanks

The higher the noise margin is the more stable the connection will be, but being too high wastes speed. Sky use a default of 6.9dbs which works well on a good line, but some lines which are noisy during some periods and quieter at others need a higher margin to compensate. Yours may be one of these. You could try running Internet Software (RouterstatsLite) for about 24 hours, this will show whether your line is subject to alternating noisy/quiet periods. If the noise never drops below 7dbs you may be able to squeeze a bit more out of it, especially if it is going as high as 13dbs.

TomD

Useful Utilites