Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New LLU Customer

This is a discussion on New LLU Customer within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oh, don't get me wrong, sky can do it - it's a drop-down menu, but it's not allowed to be ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New LLU Customer

Oh, don't get me wrong, sky can do it - it's a drop-down menu, but it's not allowed to be touched. I remember a time where a customer was demanding I put him on fastpath and I must have refused about 20 times and closed the ticket. I had a look at the line later in the shift and had seen an agent decided to stick him on fastpath later on. Makes me look as if I was lying to the guy!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

(as it doesnt have to go from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7... etc)
      DLM does not work like that. The speed normally rises considerably as soon as it starts. I have seen lines up to their full speed in about 3 days.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pekingprawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Bieldside
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      DLM does not work like that. The speed normally rises considerably as soon as it starts. I have seen lines up to their full speed in about 3 days.
      I agree, but surely that would depend firstly on how soon DLM starts and once that begins it would depend on how often the DLM interrogates the line and the proximity to target SNR and not the starting connection speed value?

Im pretty sure the DLM works on increments relative to your potential line speed. As in starts at 4, keeps it on 4 until its satisfied then ups the connection speed for a bit, interrogates again and so on, all relative to target SNR.

For lines of not much higher potential speed than say 6Mbit, i reckon it would interrogate less often at smaller speed increase increments relative to SNR. If its an automated process it will be a case of increasing speed, reinterrogation after X amount of time and increase speed relative to its target SNR.

For a line capable of 6Mbit, it would start on 4, reinterrogate, satisfy, reconnect at 4.4, interrogate again, reconnect at 4.6, interrogate and so on.

Long story short, a line capable of 20Mbit started at 4Mbit isnt going to keep interrogating the line and establishing a quicker connection by 0.2Mbit increments every time if the target SNR is miles off, it wouldnt be economically viable. It's more likely to increment a 20Mbit capable line from 4Mbit to 8Mbit then 12Mbit and so on and gradually decrease the increment as it nears the target SNR.

Maybe mine would have shot up to 13.2 in 3 days but im impatient and chances are, going on this forum, the DLM process prob wouldnt have even begun for at least 3 days

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

exactly, which means you grow up, learn to be patient and wait like everyone else!!

DLM was originally started to begin high and come down if it saw errors and it was a massive failure which is why they went the way of EVERY other ISP in the country and now start low and work upwards, exactly as you've assumed above. It waits to see a clean line before increasing the speed. It's logical and makes less work for CST.

Now, people who call in the bypass DLM are running the risk of 1. DLM having a fit and going back down again, or 2. costing the agent their job...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12