Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Next steps

This is a discussion on Next steps within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am on sky mid and have been for some years now. Before the upgrade to 10 meg I ...

kdowson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cramlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Next steps

Hi,
      I am on sky mid and have been for some years now. Before the upgrade to 10 meg I used to get about 3.5 to 4.4 meg download now I only get 2.5 to 3 meg.

I have talked with the sky tecchies and they sent a new router, also resynched my line to 4.2 meg.

Here are my router (Sagem) stats after about 2 weeks using the new router

Router Statistics
      System Up Time: 414:55:47
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1456240 1546460 0 0 0 100:28:52
      LAN 12187934 9727422 0 0 0 414:55:47
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 414:55:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3264 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 15.0 db

I only live less than 2 miles from the exchange and my house is about 30 yards from the local BT cabinet in the street.
      I have already had BT in and they fitted a new master socket and I have fitted an ADSL filtered faceplate (ring wire removed) and the router is hard wired using a Belkin broadband cable. There is very little noticeable difference between using this cabling versus the sky lead plugged directly into the master socket.

My neighbours are getting in excess of 4 meg, so they tell me, and yes using the same speedtest as me.

What really should I expect and what are the next steps?
      Cheers

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Next steps

kdowson
      Hi here is some thing to have a look but the attenuation numbers are for an ideal line. The numbers are an estimate I think every thing you need is on there and then you`ll want to ask more questions http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html it explains noise margins, connection speed, attenuation. Your Downstream attenuation is showing 54.0db.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kdowson View Post
      There is very little noticeable difference between using this cabling versus the sky lead plugged directly into the master socket.
      there may be little difference in the speed but was there an alteration on the noise margin? how long is this 'belkin broadband cable'?

My neighbours are getting in excess of 4 meg, so they tell me, and yes using the same speedtest as me.
      every line varies in quality and length, the problem is that your noise margin is preventing a higher download speed. if youve already had a new master socket fitted with a pre-filtered faceplate theres not much more you can do. check your stats again with the cable sky provided and see if there is any change in the noise margin.

What really should I expect and what are the next steps?
      unless theres a change in stats you cant expect any more than your getting

btw did you get the new master socket + pre-filtered faceplate after these problems started?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks steve will take a read of this stuff.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi misfit, Jeez you are telling me things I definitely do not want to hear .... but , here goes

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      there may be little difference in the speed but was there an alteration on the noise margin? how long is this 'belkin broadband cable'?
      Answer = The difference between the sky cable and the belkin was at decimal point level, the actual number stayed the same.
      The Belking is 12 feet long

every line varies in quality and length, the problem is that your noise margin is preventing a higher download speed. if youve already had a new master socket fitted with a pre-filtered faceplate theres not much more you can do. check your stats again with the cable sky provided and see if there is any change in the noise margin.
      Answer = see above comment - no real change

unless theres a change in stats you cant expect any more than your getting

btw did you get the new master socket + pre-filtered faceplate after these problems started?
      Answer = The new master socket, belkin cable and faceplate lifted line performance from about 2 meg up to averaging about 4 meg. That was when sky had up to 8 meg .

Their change to up to 10 meg (apart from robbing me of 30GB) has also resulted in me losing about 1 meg download speed.

My mate lives about 7 miles from his exchange and gets far better speed that I do. So surely there should be something that can be done to improve this even if it means allocating an alternative line from the exchange?? Or am I wrong to believe this could work?

Appreciate the help guys before talkini further with sky tecchies.http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have Sky Phone Rental? Some who do are suffering reduced download speeds.

It is possible the upgrade to ADSL2+ is causing problems on your line. Call Sky and ask if they will try returning your line to G.DMT. Although your line is not that long, it may just be one of those that can't handle ADSL2+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.