Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connected two weeks ago - the best I can do?

This is a discussion on Connected two weeks ago - the best I can do? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there I registered ages ago, when I first had connection problems at my old house. Thankfully, years of trouble-free ...

MattB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexleyheath
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connected two weeks ago - the best I can do?

Hi there

I registered ages ago, when I first had connection problems at my old house. Thankfully, years of trouble-free Sky BB goodness followed, once those were sorted.

I've now moved house and have re-subscribed to Sky BB Max. I know I'm a bit further away from the exchange (same one actually!) so knew I wouldn't get 16mb but a bit disappointed in the stats - I'm sure I can do better so would like some guidance.

Connected on 11 Jan. Router has been largely left on ever since, although may have unplugged it to switch power point or something in the first couple of days.

Basically, I have the Sagem router plugged into the master socket directly. Am connecting to my PC wirelessly (get the same speed test results wired and wireless).

However, from what I've read about attenuation, I think I should be getting faster speeds. The noise could be a problem but it's way over seven in most cases.

Router stats:

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 4091
      UpStream Connection Speed 796
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4091 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 25.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 11.5 db

(please say if I need to post anything else from the router - was a bit worried about personal info from IP bits, etc).

The only movement I've seen on the connection is the upload speed - that seemed to move from 512 to 796 after a few days. The download speed has been pretty constant. Tonight, I disconnected the ring wire from my master socket (not sure if that was worth it/right thing to do) but no difference in the speed.

I'm also pretty sure the attenuation was 42 in the first days - that's seemed to have gone up. Is that a bit weird?

Anyway, it's ok - but would always like to eek out a bit more if poss. Any tips/suggestions? Phone call to Sky?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connected two weeks ago - the best I can do?

Post your stats again but this time from the test socket, also check that when you remove the socket faceplate that any other phone points are dead.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Forgot to mention - already tried the test socket, and it appears that it's not wired! I wasn't getting a sync light on the router so I tried plugging my home phone handset into the test socket - no dial tone either.

So, I'm kinda stuck with the default stats from the normal master socket I think.

Thanks

Where do the incoming wires connect to? they should be connected to a&b in the very rear socket.

If they connect to the 2&5 connectors, you need to move them to the a&b connections, this may be why you are having problems, something is certainly wired incorrectly if the test socket doesn't work, this is the first thing Sky/BT will ask you to check as it should be the only point that works.

Can you take some photo's? they will make things much easier for us.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Forgot to mention - already tried the test socket, and it appears that it's not wired!
      As Smithy says, this is the main socket for the house, if it does not work, nothing will. Check Smithy's wiring suggestion and if the incoming wires are on the A-B terminals on the backplate, then the socket is probably dirty. Over the years residue can build up and cause a poor connection. Slide a plug in and out a few times, wiggling it at the same time. A squirt of WD40 on the plug will help get it clean.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok - thanks all. Have taken a closer look. A & B on the backplate aren't wired at all. The cable that is connected to 2 & 5 seems to run up the wall into a little BT-marked box and then back down again behind the skirting. Have taken some pictures to see if it helps. I'm now not 100% that this is the master but I really can't see it being anywhere else - this is located right next to the front door.

The little white box further up the wall:

Thanks

Can you also take a picture of the wires in the little white junction box and confirm that one set is the main incoming BT line from outside.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like the wiring has been spidered out from the junction box instead of from the NTE5 socket. It could be that the junction is actually an RF filter, which if it is the wrong type, could effect the attenuation and thus the sync speed. If it is an RF2 it will almost stop broadband dead. An RF3 is required where broadband is used. A picture of the interior and a sight of model numbers will be helpful

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for all your help so far - this is quite a learning experience and I get to play with screwdrivers and stuff!

I've taken the front off the junction box - see what you think....

This faced me when I first looked:

Then I moved some of the wires out of the way:

(apologies for the quality - iPhone!).

Looks like the main phone line is coming in the house from the right hand side.

I can't see any model numbers apart from 'RC910' in the top right corner (with more numbers afterwards). I've done a google image search for RF2 and RF3 and can see what you mean. This one looks like a 'BT80A' - good, bad, indifferent?

The blue/white cables are connected to 'A' and 'B' inside the junction box. Assume the same A and B from the master socket?

I can see that the orange wire is connected - is that the same as the ring wire at the socket? If so, I assume I can remove that in a similar way?

Happy to play about (within reason!) if it helps my BB speed so any tips much appreciated. New junction box? Is there a way to remove it altogether and move the wiring down to the master socket?

Thanks

Good news, we should be able to sort out a bit of speed once the wiring is fixed.

Ok, ideally, you need to connect the main BT wires (the two on the right) to the a&b of the master socket by either moving the master up there or dropping the wires down to it.

Once you have done that (even if it is only as a loose fit) plug the router into the test socket and get your stats, hopefully, we will see a nice improvement). we can then look at how best to wire the other sockets up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast