Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am quite serious when I pose the question in the title. I was more than happy with Sky Connect ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

I am quite serious when I pose the question in the title. I was more than happy with Sky Connect when I switched from BT almost two years ago. However, all that changed around July of last year. What started as a national outage has turned into a fiasco whereby most evenings now I struggle to get 0.75 mbps between 5pm and midnight, tonight being no exception - 0.2 mbps. Sky readily admit that there is nothing wrong with my line or my setup.

I have spent the last six months battling with Sky concerning this issue but to no avail. I have even been told in a roundabout way by more than one Sky IT and CS manager that Sky don't want Sky Connect customers as there's little to no profit in it for Sky.

I have been informed in writing that my line is being "throttled" in keeping with Sky's T&Cs despite only being a very light BB user and that while they could provide more speed that in line with company policy they aren't prepared to. I have finally had a letter from them today saying they are disappointed to hear I'm unhappy with their BB service and that my comments have been duly noted, end of.

The arrogance of this company fair takes ones breath away. They have throttled the connection as to be almost unusable in the evenings and yet they don't see that as a breach of their own T&Cs?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

They do see it as a possible breach of their T&C's which is why people leaving in contract are allowed to go with little fuss.

This is the only option that is proven to work with Sky Connect, I have to wonder why you have waited so long, get out now!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi 4pm till 1am now and weekends, all holidays. It also looks like the Connect package is being sold as a 8MBs Sky Max and not mentioning it being a Bt re-badged Max product and I cannot see it improving in the near future.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Faust
      Hi 4pm till 1am now and weekends, all holidays. It also looks like the Connect package is being sold as a 8MBs Sky Max and not mentioning it being a Bt re-badged Max product and I cannot see it improving in the near future.
      Is that change to T&C correct or is it just you being tongue in cheek, not that it would surprise me if it were true?

Thanks

Faust
      Hi thats is a cross section of connect Customer who have started threads or left posts as mine 4pm till about 1am. Weekends and all holidays that is when the connect package is being used most. There has been a lot lately who have posted that they were on the 8MBs Max and not realising they were on the connect package. Sky T&Cs has not changed the only thing I have seen new lately is Sky.com - Sky Help Centre>Product Help look at Sky Broadband Connect customers only.

Captain W is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky BB Unlimited 14.2Mb
      Thanks

Surely they must have people leaving Connect in droves ... when you see the price of their own product against Connect, it just confirms how much money it costs them - I had heard (just posted on another thread) that they were going to roll out more LLU this year after they finish their current complete LLU programme but it is hearsay.

Thanks

Captain W
      Hi that is all Connect Customers are waiting for LLU and no more throttling at night that will make us all

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain W View Post
      Surely they must have people leaving Connect in droves ... when you see the price of their own product against Connect, it just confirms how much money it costs them - I had heard (just posted on another thread) that they were going to roll out more LLU this year after they finish their current complete LLU programme but it is hearsay.
      Not sure how true that is as Sky have informed me in writing that although our exchange was due to be LLU in 2006 there are now no plans to LLU it at all - completley withdrawn.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have heard several rumours that the back haul is being improved for Connect users, and I believe recently Scotland areas had some work done on them, to help combat the issues.

The problem is, Sky are just so secretive about things like this. If they acknowledged the issue and maybe give people a credit etc for poor performance, and also gave an approximate date for improvements / upgrading back haul, people wouldn't feel like mushrooms, as in fed garbage and left in the dark, and may hold back off changing ISPs

It really is a shame, as prior to January 2009 Connect was a great product and one that people actually recommended.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

With 1,150 exchanges unbundled, Sky says it has opened up all the exchanges it had targeted and that 500,000 of its customers are now on unbundled connections. As an ISP, Sky now claims to have more than 2.1m customers

The above quote is from a recent statement by Sky so you can see where that is going can't you? I believe the other big ISPs have also finished or are about to finish their LLU programme also which means it's looking pretty bleak for those of us who are in Market 1 exchanges

Interestingly, 500,000 out of 1,150 exchanges is not a lot and not a lot out of 2.1 million customers. It shows how many of us are on their appalling Sky Connect service though

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast