Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Captain W I think that refers to complete unbundle ie 500k are on full LLU and the ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain W View Post
      I think that refers to complete unbundle ie 500k are on full LLU and the remainder are on partial LLU/Connect. There's no chance all the rest are on Connect as Sky state they're about to break even on BB and Talk, that would mean they would have 1.6million people on Connect, a product they make no profit on? Defo seems like those 500k are now on a fully unbundled line.
      Direct quote from Sky's financial report - not quite breaking even me thinks?

Skys broadband business lost £72m in 2009, although it claims these losses are improving. Likewise Sky’s business IPS, Easynet, lost £14m last year.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi thats the other problem no one believes it. But it is there for everyone to read.

Skys broadband business lost £72m in 2009, although it claims these losses are improving. Likewise Sky’s business IPS, Easynet, lost £14m last year.

Thanks

Faust
      Hi here`s some Broadband news thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website the Conservatives is quite interesting also the Bt sections

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Faust
      Hi here`s some Broadband news thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website the Conservatives is quite interesting also the Bt sections
      I wouldn't believe anything the Tories say unless it was to say they will hammer working people and always look after their own.

Big business aren't going to be interested in coming to exchanges such as ours with less than a thousand connections they really aren't.

Well mid March now Steve - have you heard when your Connect package is going to be super duper? It's not going to happen, a neighbour of ours has had it confirmed by Sky that for the foreseeable future there will be no further LLU investment. I having been looking at other ISPs and will ask for my MAC code shortly. In some ways I wish Sky hadn't discounted my BB as at £17 per month for such a poor service it isn't hard to leave, however, it is more difficult at a fiver a month.

Something else I have noticed on the SamKnows site. We have had a 21CN switchover date for the last few years. However, in the last few days that date is no longer showing and it states no 21CN date has been set (was previously Quarter 4 2010). I have noticed this has happened on at least three other exchanges that I know of, what's going on anyone know?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have noticed this has happened on at least three other exchanges that I know of, what's going on anyone know?
      I have noticed this too. BT may be concentrating their finances on FTTC and putting their 21CN on the back-burner.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Faust
      Hi
      Newas was 21CN Date 31/03/2010. now no date. What I do not understand is there is more Domestic Dwellings in Washington than anywhere in the south Tyneside area.
      in the last few days that date is no longer showing and it states no 21CN date has been set (was previously Quarter 4 2010).
      I have heard that Sky are going to start unbundling exchanges end of March beginning of April. But it looks more than likely that Sky and other ISPs may be looking at this thinkbroadband :: BT plan to share it cable ducts with rivals It will not be as expensive as buying and leasing bandwidth from Bt that is except Virgin thinkbroadband :: BT call for fair access to ducts
      confirmed by Sky that for the foreseeable future there will be no further LLU investment
      Isitme
      Hi Fibre to the cabinet I think a lot of connections will be Cabinet to home the same as NTL did before they sold out to Virgin.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi
      Newas was 21CN Date 31/03/2010. now no date. What I do not understand is there is more Domestic Dwellings in Washington than anywhere in the south Tyneside area.

I have heard that Sky are going to start unbundling exchanges end of March beginning of April. But it looks more than likely that Sky and other ISPs may be looking at this thinkbroadband :: BT plan to share it cable ducts with rivals It will not be as expensive as buying and leasing bandwidth from Bt that is except Virgin thinkbroadband :: BT call for fair access to ducts

Isitme
      Hi Fibre to the cabinet I think a lot of connections will be Cabinet to home the same as NTL did before they sold out to Virgin.
      The LLU ISPs are only interested in large exchanges though and if you look at the spread of unbundling most of the big players are in the same exchanges. . There is an exchange near us that has over 3500 subscribers and is still a Market 1 exchange. A local resident on that exchange works for a very well known ISP (not BT) and asked at work what the chances were of getting LLU. The reply was - no chance at all in the short term, not enough customers to justify the investment.

Why don't you go with CPW Steve, at least your exchange has one incumbent LLU with CPW/ TalkTalk?

Thanks

Faust
      Hi I have talked to Sky and they have been trying to resolve the issue with Bt`s RAMBo working on Sky connect 4pm till Midnight when the traffic Management is working which shows a negative effect so Bt RAMBo see`s an issue with the line because that is what RAMBo does monitors the lines not the ISP connection issues that is where the problem is so Sky have to do something about it and the best time is when the ISPs are offered the chance to help with the 21CN WBC roll out. With one LLU and Virgin showing Market 1 with over 23,525 residential premises that figure has not changed since the beginning of 08 any ISP that moves in to the exchange offering LLU would make a killing. especially BSkyB I would say about 70% of Domestic Dwellings and over 1,136 non-residential premises. have Sky TV. If I leave Who is going to shut the door and turn the light out

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi I have talked to Sky and they have been trying to resolve the issue with Bt`s RAMBo working on Sky connect 4pm till Midnight when the traffic Management is working which shows a negative effect so Bt RAMBo see`s an issue with the line because that is what RAMBo does monitors the lines not the ISP connection issues that is where the problem is so Sky have to do something about it and the best time is when the ISPs are offered the chance to help with the 21CN WBC roll out. With one LLU and Virgin showing Market 1 with over 23,525 residential premises that figure has not changed since the beginning of 08 any ISP that moves in to the exchange offering LLU would make a killing. especially BSkyB I would say about 70% of Domestic Dwellings and over 1,136 non-residential premises. have Sky TV. If I leave Who is going to shut the door and turn the light out
      From what I understand the offer by BT to share their ducts with other ISPs is about FTTC not WBC which is an entirely different situation. Sky can already offer to put their customers onto the WBC product at exchanges where the upgrade has taken place providing you take telephony as well. However, it will still be a BT product and as such I'm not sure if Sky will still throttle every evening. This throttling issue has nothing whatsoever to do with BT - it is Sky and don't let Sky kid you, Sky manage the traffic not BT though Sky would like you to think otherwise.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Steve, read this post from another forum by someone who knows his stuff when it comes to BB.

Think of BTW's IPStream working this way.

Two clouds (Clouds are used because we don't know nor need to know exactly what happens inside the cloud.): BT's Cloud and the IPStream Operator's cloud. At some point the data stream needs to move from BT's cloud to to the IPStream Operator's cloud. This is done via a number of 'fat pipes' that are rented from BT by IPStream Operator. If the pipes just aren't 'fat' enough - or, put another way, there are not enough of them, at off-peak times they will cope with the traffic but speeds will be restricted at peak-times.

Sky Base, Everyday & Unlimited customers are connected directly to Sky's cloud and so do not have a problem.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast