Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; BT said they set a target date of Q2 2009 for the switch to 21CN however somehow I don't think ...

Richie Rich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky World HD
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

BT said they set a target date of Q2 2009 for the switch to 21CN however somehow I don't think it has been carried out yet. Samknows say exchange is a Market 1. What does that mean?

2. Advertisement
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
      BT said they set a target date of Q2 2009 for the switch to 21CN however somehow I don't think it has been carried out yet. Samknows say exchange is a Market 1. What does that mean?
      It means BT is the only supplier in your exchange and given that most ISPs have now completed their LLU roll-outs then BT will remain the only supplier. As such BT has no competition so why should they rush spending money on upgrading your exchange?

Just like gas and electric, privatisation has been a huge failure in this country. The countries that are way ahead of us are the ones where governments have taken the lead as they saw the value of good infrastructure. In the UK it's all about creaming off the profits and making the rich even richer. Yet again the market has failed the people of this country.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie Rich
      BT said they set a target date of Q2 2009 for the switch to 21CN
      It is not the switch to 21CN that is important as far as broadband is concerned, but the enabling of Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC). According to Samknows 729 exchanges have been enabled. This means that BT and their resellers can offer ADSL2+ from these exchanges, giving the same speeds as Sky already do on their LLU service. I think one of the crucial things is whether Sky will upgrade their Connect service to ADSL2+ where it is available. It would make a tremendous difference to Connect users if they did. If they don't I can see an exodus of Connect users as soon as their exchange is enabled by BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Thanks

A little bit of information back in June 09
      The information you have got about the new Sky packages is correct. They are changing the Mid, Max and Connect packages.
      Sky User - Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      A little bit of information back in June 09

Sky User - Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June
      Surely the statement in your link concerning Sky Connect customers moving to ADSL2+ relies on BT upgrading ALL exchanges to ADSL2+ WBC? That's going to be one hell of a slow process in Market 1 exchanges as with no competition why should BT rush - I doubt the regulator has any teeth to make them. The government has now extended to 2017 the time industry has to bring "fast BB to everyone - that's 7 years away. Personally, if BT were to upgrade our exchange tonight then I would leave Sky tonight I'm that sick of them. However, I'm not sure my connection would be all that better if I moved back to BT as things are at present.

Thanks

Faust
      Hi if you look at my exchange you will see Market 1 Talktalk is the only LLU and as Samknows say 23,525 residential premises but that figure has been there and not changed in the last 3yrs
      and at least 6 new housing estates have been built in those 3yrs but still Market 1 there is a village next to washington which has 9,289 residential premises and on Market 3 the thing is it has Talktalk,Tiscali and Tiscali TV. Which is one not 3. Sky / Easynet was Enabled as of 26/03/2007 and now they are not going to have in the near future WBC
      BT Wholesale are no longer reporting a Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Birtley exchange (Was previously 19/05/2009)
      So really no one knows who will or will not be WBC enabled. Sky Broadband are not fools they know 29/03/10 a lot of exchanges will have WBC enablement so they can move in and as Sky say Broadband and Sky Talk or will not move anyone over to Sky. We can only wait and see what is going to happen

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Faust
      Hi if you look at my exchange you will see Market 1 Talktalk is the only LLU and as Samknows say 23,525 residential premises but that figure has been there and not changed in the last 3yrs
      and at least 6 new housing estates have been built in those 3yrs but still Market 1 there is a village next to washington which has 9,289 residential premises and on Market 3 the thing is it has Talktalk,Tiscali and Tiscali TV. Which is one not 3. Sky / Easynet was Enabled as of 26/03/2007 and now they are not going to have in the near future WBC
      So really no one knows who will or will not be WBC enabled. Sky Broadband are not fools they know 29/03/10 a lot of exchanges will have WBC enablement so they can move in and as Sky say Broadband and Sky Talk or will not move anyone over to Sky. We can only wait and see what is going to happen
      I'm pretty sure that SamKnows has got the info wrong on your exchange. If you have LLU then you cannot be a Market 1 exchange - with just the one LLU provider you should be a Market 2 exchange and anymore than one LLU provider would make you Market 3. Market 1 exchanges are where BT is the sole provider. As far as I'm aware ALL exchanges will eventually be ADSL2+ (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) however, BT have got until 2017 to complete the upgrade - 7 long years.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

BT have got until 2017 to complete the upgrade - 7 long years.
      Vote Tory, they have promised fibre to everyone by then.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Faust
      Hi I have just read about the Market structure and you are right so here`s me thinking I was on market 1. You have to be optimistic your exchange could be the first to be done I hope it is and NEWAS 2nd you never know
      You never know Tom the Tories could be in sooner than you think imagine fibre but I bet it is not to the door it will be to box outside which Sky are talking about in their trials

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

You have to be optimistic your exchange could be the first to be done I hope it is
      Given our exchange was one of those where we had to get a petition going just to get BB in the first place I'm not holding my breath.

You never know Tom the Tories could be in sooner than you think
      Those of us who are older still have bitter memories of living under Thatcher's yolk so I'm afraid it would take a lot more then fibre to ever vote Tory. Sadly people have very short memories and I would just say be careful what you wish for. I have a postage stamp in my desk drawer on the back of which I have spent a lifetime filling in what the Tories have ever done for working people - it's still only half full.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast