Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

This is a discussion on Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Faust Hi I think things will start to get better after 29/03/2010 not only with Sky but with other ISPs ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ?

Faust
      Hi I think things will start to get better after 29/03/2010 not only with Sky but with other ISPs as well not long to go now. We have been on Sky Connect for some time now. What annoy`s me is Sky and Bt not working together when Sky throttle 4pm till 1am and Bt RAMBo looks at the line and see`s issues where there are none only the Sky throttling

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Interestingly, 500,000 out of 1,150 exchanges is not a lot and not a lot out of 2.1 million customers. It shows how many of us are on their appalling Sky Connect service though
      I don't think it does, as it would mean 1,600,000 are on Connect. I am pretty certain that is not the case. What I think it means is that Sky have now transferred half a million to their SVBN, providing voice and broadband directly and not through BT equipment. It should have stated that 500,000 were now on fully unbundled connections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think it does, as it would mean 1,600,000 are on Connect. I am pretty certain that is not the case. What I think it means is that Sky have now transferred half a million to their SVBN, providing voice and broadband directly and not through BT equipment. It should have stated that 500,000 were now on fully unbundled connections.
      NO, if you look at the Sky official statement regarding this issue they actually give a separate breakdown of all their figures including how many new customers they have added - which is well down by the way. 1150 exchanges out of around 5400 is not that many.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Faust
      Hi I think things will start to get better after 29/03/2010 not only with Sky but with other ISPs as well not long to go now. We have been on Sky Connect for some time now. What annoy`s me is Sky and Bt not working together when Sky throttle 4pm till 1am and Bt RAMBo looks at the line and see`s issues where there are none only the Sky throttling
      Well I'm now sat here with bated breath wondering what the hells going to change after the 29.3.10 - can anyone enlighten me, is Sky going to channel Connect customers via South Korea?

Thanks

Well I'm now sat here with bated breath wondering what the hells going to change after the 29.3.10 - can anyone enlighten me,
      I think it may be a reference to the proposed Highspeed trials on some lines, brought about by fibre lines.

NO, if you look at the Sky official statement regarding this issue
      Could you provide a link please? I still find it very difficult to believe that Sky have only half a million users on LLU and over 3 times that on Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Could you provide a link please? I still find it very difficult to believe that Sky have only half a million users on LLU and over 3 times that on Connect.
      Have a look at THIS

I think it may be a reference to the proposed Highspeed trials on some lines, brought about by fibre lines.
      Well that's not going to effect small Market1 exchanges is it? As I said previously, with BT the only player in town such exchanges can't even get their ADSL2+ WBC offering.

Thanks

Yes, I found that, but it does not say how many are on Connect and I have to doubt the accuracy. If you have a look at this report, Sky had already unbundled 1150 exchanges in July, 2007.
      http://responsibility.sky.com/docume...ing_update.pdf

This list names 1190 exchanges which have been unbundled by Sky,
      SamKnows Broadband - LLU Operators - Sky / Easynet

This list itself may not be fully up to date.

I have to agree, those unfortunate enough to be on Market 1 exchanges have little chance of improvement.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, I found that, but it does not say how many are on Connect and I have to doubt the accuracy. If you have a look at this report, Sky had already unbundled 1150 exchanges in July, 2007.
      http://responsibility.sky.com/docume...ing_update.pdf

This list names 1190 exchanges which have been unbundled by Sky,
      SamKnows Broadband - LLU Operators - Sky / Easynet

This list itself may not be fully up to date.

I have to agree, those unfortunate enough to be on Market 1 exchanges have little chance of improvement.
      Someone was telling me at work today that there was a similar article to this one in the Guardian last week with almost identical figures. It does look though that Sky have a significant number of their customers on the Connect product. It's sad really as up until June 09 Connect for me and for many others I believe was a really good product. However, it's now a truly appalling and dreadful service. I'm dropping HD in March and actively considering using the money saved to go back to BT. It may be dearer and it may be the same connection but I can never remember having such dreadful speeds in the evening with BT. What amazes me is that Sky are being allowed to get away with offering such a shoddy third rate service.

Richie Rich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky World HD
      Thanks

Hi, I'm on the connect package (how unlucky am I!) and was just wondering if sky ever did unbundle my exchange what sort of speeds I would likely get. Below are the stats taken from my master socket. I have taken the front faceplate off but there is no test socket located behind.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128*kbps 448*kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.0*db 6.5*db
      Noise Margin 9.1*db 23.0*db

Anyway, thanks in advance for anyones input!

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
      Hi, I'm on the connect package (how unlucky am I!) and was just wondering if sky ever did unbundle my exchange what sort of speeds I would likely get. Below are the stats taken from my master socket. I have taken the front faceplate off but there is no test socket located behind.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128*kbps 448*kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.0*db 6.5*db
      Noise Margin 9.1*db 23.0*db

Anyway, thanks in advance for anyones input!
      Those stats could have been lifted from my own Sky router as they're almost identical. I would say looking at those stats you would get near the maximum they can offer i.e. around the 20 mbps mark. You must live quite near your exchange (like me). Are you in a Market 1 exchange because if you are then you're not likely to be unbundled by any of the ISPs as there's no money in it for them plus space can be an issue.

However, unless I'm mistaken then if BT were to upgrade to ADSL2+ WBC then I think other ISP's can purchase such a connection and re-brand it as their own.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast