Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just a few questions regarding this...

This is a discussion on Just a few questions regarding this... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 1088 kbps 630 kbps Line Attenuation 66 db 41 db Noise Margin 7 db ...

Hoshi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just a few questions regarding this...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1088 kbps 630 kbps
      Line Attenuation 66 db 41 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 9 db

hey all!

I just got off the phone with sky broadband for perhaps the 5th or 6th time today.

After the DLM, my speed with them was left at a ridiculous 512kbps downstream and 302kbps upstream.

I immediately rang sky who said that they could get my connection up a meg.
      Which they did.

after that they told me that BT say that my line is capable of 1.5-2MB to which they put me through to a very kind lady who went ahead and configured my router and so on for the 2MB connection.

3 minutes after putting down the phone, i go to the speed test website and see that it is still at 1MB. Then the lady from Sky CST calls me back just as i notice this and asks me if i had switched back to the Master socket after having the increase done on the test socket. Of course, i was still connected to the test socket and so she assumed that my connection was only capable of 1.5 Megs.

She reconfigured it for the 1.5MB connection and told me to call back in 20 minutes if the same thing happened again.

of course... it did and i was on the phone to them yet again regarding my download speed.
      This time the wait was much longer until i eventually got put through to a kind man who asked ME if i thought there was a problem with the router/equipment.

I immediately brought up the constant disconnections and slow speeds (drops as low as 20kpbs and connection instability on xbox live etc...) to which they have now told me to wait for my brand new equipment to arrive.

So my questions...

Is this really my equipment's fault?

Why did it keep reverting back to 1MB and why did they sound so shocked and surprised by this?

on a 2MB connection (when it eventually happens) what can i expect my download speed to be? (currently i can only download at about 130kpbs on 1MB)

Thanks. hope you guys can help out!

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just a few questions regarding this...

By the attenuation of 66db you are on ADSL2+ which does not work well on long lines.
      You need to phone sky back and ask for your line to be put back to G.DMT, this will give you a higher connection speed.

Hoshi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      By the attenuation of 66db you are on ADSL2+ which does not work well on long lines.
      You need to phone sky back and ask for your line to be put back to G.DMT, this will give you a higher connection speed.
      Shall i wait for the new router before asking this?

And thanks for your reply : )

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Not much point, there is probably nothing wrong with your router. Ask CST to try your line on G.DMT. If you have Sky Phone Rental, they are not very keen to change you back for some reason, it you don't there should be no problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Great - some idiot doesn't realise adsltwo+ is generating errors left, right and centre on your line it would seem.