Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

low speeds - can i get better?

This is a discussion on low speeds - can i get better? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello sky say my max line speed is 3meg but my stats are ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2042 ...

C.O.Y.I is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: woolwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

low speeds - can i get better?

hello

sky say my max line speed is 3meg but my stats are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 17 db

although speetest.net have me at ping 92ms down 1.76 and up 0.44

reading about it seems like a lot of hassle contacting sky to try and get faster speeds.

does anyone know by looking at my router stats if it would be worth the effort and if anything can be done anyway ?

modern warfare 2 is a nightmare at times (even though it on ethernet and not wireless) and skyplayer on xbox360 is just as tempremental (wireless on another xbox) we never know if its going to be alright for any lengh of time.

spend about 85 a month with sky so want the best service i can possibly get.

any further stats needed just let me know.

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: low speeds - can i get better?

Post your stats from the Test socket, click the 'Test socket' link below if you need help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hi isitme

Connection Speed 2042 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 16 db

speedtest.net 1.76 down 0.36 up ping 106ms

line and noise are now different and this is from the test socket ,microfilter with approx 5 mtr line to modem and 2 meter ethernet from modem to pc.

hope that helps

thanks

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Your stats from the test socket show you will easily get 3mb probably 4-5mb but the internal wiring is dragging the speed down. You need to fit a filtered faceplate and run the router from it.

Then you can ring up Sky and get them to manually configure the line and put it on G.DMT if it isn't already.

Thanks

thanks for the reply smithy

have just googled about the faceplate , once that is connected , there is no way to get out of needing about 6 meters of cable to the main xbox.

should i move the modem nearer to the socket and get 1 meter from socket to modem and 5 meter ethernet from modem to xbox or keep say 5 meters from socket to modem and 1 meter of ethernet to xbox

or does it not make a slight bit of difference?

the xbox upstairs which runs the skyplayer in the kids room is wireless, would it also be an idea to make this a wired connection? ( would be about 8 meters of ethernet to that one)

also once i have set things up my end, who are the people at sky i need to talk to ? and if its the (in)famous tier 3 , whats the best way / things to say to to get to to them.

thanks again
      lee

Thanks

As Smithy says, your internal wiring is at least halving your speed. Fit and use a filtered faceplate to fix this -
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

Whenever possible it is always better to have your router close to the socket and run ethernet to your machines. This applies especially to gaming consoles which work far better wired than wireless. It is possible to use a longer RJ11 cable to position the router in a more convenient place, anything up to 10m will be OK provided you use a good quality twisted pair cable. Over 10m you might notice a slight drop off in speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

much of what you have said is actually covered (widely) in the site so apologies for making you go over old ground,looks like ive just asked the most asked question on the forum

faceplate is on order so once that is up and running and ive called sky , ill post back to let you know how i got on.

top site , thanks for the help.

Thanks

hi again
      have faceplate now fitted but seem to be banging my head against a brick wall with tier 1.

keeps on about having to move modem closer to socket and using a better quality cabling etc didt know what g.dmt was.

hesitent to escalate the call without me moving modem closer to socket but realistically even if i di that ,im only going to move it back to front room with 5 m modem cable anyway.

whats the best way to get this moved on to tier 3 , id like to baffle them so they just move me straight on but dont know what to say , this fella didnt even know what sky player was.

thanks

Thanks

What type of RJ11 cable are you using? If it is a high quality twisted pair, there will be no problem. If it is a cheap flat telephone wire type, you could be loosing out. The agents can't see down the phone line, so there is nothing to stop you telling them you are using the cable supplied by Sky. Asking for your Delay to be reduced to improve your gaming can sometimes get you passed straight to CST.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

WOW maybe i spoke too soon as they have upped me already.
      will they do a 10 day test again ? or will this be it that they have upped it to?

Connection Speed 3072 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 15 db

and

thinking about it i can realistically move to router to within a meter of the socket and just extend the ethernet to xbox.

the current router wirer is just a standard flat cable so again ill change that if it helps to maximis.

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast