Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please take a look...

This is a discussion on Please take a look... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; dont shoot me, but another "slow speeds question" I have been a regular about here for months (but just registered), ...

Pipe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cregagh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Please take a look...

dont shoot me, but another "slow speeds question"

I have been a regular about here for months (but just registered), never needed advice before now ...duh.

I have been on sky mid for nearly two years, had no problems with BB speeds always around 3.5mb, recently suffering less than this just over the 2mb mark, pages slow to open, freezing pages etc, etc, Read the threads concerning "http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/5670-slow-page-loading-times.html".....so i 've checked my stats 1st, and i am seeing a reduction on my d/load speed

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2801 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.5 db 30.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 17.1 db
      IP 94.2.15.XXX listed in sheffield though i am in Belfast??

Now does this look right? I am just trying to build a case file up so i dont sound a divvy when i phone sky up.

I have a m/filter connected to faceplate > then to belkin Hi-speed Internet Modem Double Shielded CAT 5 Cable 7.6m straight to router >computer

I have tested thru engineers socket also no difference
      I have used TCPoptimiser saw no difference

PC on XP tested no bugs/crap etc run speedtest from skyuser reported 2376 down and 273 up 7 tests run all around the same
      Laptop Vista wireless shows remarkably the same readings

Any advice how to tackle this???

Cheers in advance to all..........::
      Last edited by Pipe; 18-11-09 at 12:04 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Please take a look...

Ignore the IP location, it won't affect the connection...

Regarding the speeds, it's probably DLM kicking in so a move back to GDMT would benefit you, give Sky tech a call on 08442 410 515 and go through troubleshooting for a slow connection. All things being equal you should get to CST (Customer Solutions Team) and they can adjust your line with you on the phone. Can take a while to get to them though...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Ignore the IP location, it won't affect the connection...

Regarding the speeds, it's probably DLM kicking in so a move back to GDMT would benefit you, give Sky tech a call on 08442 410 515 and go through troubleshooting for a slow connection. All things being equal you should get to CST (Customer Solutions Team) and they can adjust your line with you on the phone. Can take a while to get to them though...

Yes did take a while ...was it worth it?

AFTER
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2784 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.5 db 30.9 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 22.5 db

BEFORE

Connection Speed 2801 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.5 db 30.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 17.1 db

the fella said because it was a 8mb package my line could not support that (!) so he " capped " it at 3mb is this the right thing to do???? DLM had nothing to do with it, he said,

* had been getting 3.5+mb last time a ran tests (dont know dates, a good while ago)

What now.....a bit peeved off to say the least..........::

Pipe

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have fixed phone extension sockets? If so plug the filter directly into your Test socket and post your stats from there. Test socket link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isitme......

Connection Speed 2510 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.5 db 30.9 db
      Noise Margin 10.1 db 22.5 db

above info gathered as of ..... test socket > m/filter > connected to belkin Hi-speed Internet Modem Double Shielded CAT 5 Cable 7.6m straight to router >yelo ethernet cable into computer, ........landline disconnected

Thanks

All I can suggest is that you try to get through to CST and ask them to change your Mode to G.DMT as ADSL2+ is not suiting your line. If they do this you should get your old speed back. As always, getting understanding agents when you phone is the difficult part, too many are liable to fob you off with 'your line cannot take any more' when a change of Mode could fix your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      All I can suggest is that you try to get through to CST and ask them to change your Mode to G.DMT as ADSL2+ is not suiting your line. If they do this you should get your old speed back. As always, getting understanding agents when you phone is the difficult part, too many are liable to fob you off with 'your line cannot take any more' when a change of Mode could fix your problem.

OK, so what is my best approach to this, wait until late tonight (as i have read), ......just ask them to uncap again and test?, i dont want them fobbing me off, with their pre script jargon....

cheers for your time...

Pipe...::

Thanks

Unfortunately there is 'best way', it depends firstly on who you get in Tier 1, then who you get in the Customer Solutions Team. I would ask T1 to put you through to CST to have your upload speed improved as it is very low. If you get put through, ask the agent if he/she can return your line to G.DMT as your connection was much faster on that than it is now.

TomD

Useful Utilites