Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Regulating bandwidth for different devices on my home network

This is a discussion on Regulating bandwidth for different devices on my home network within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Hope you can help! I have a small home network consisting of a main PC upstairs and my ...

pauloconnor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Regulating bandwidth for different devices on my home network

Hi all,

Hope you can help!

I have a small home network consisting of a main PC upstairs and my PS3 in the living room. When playing online I am sometimes getting lag which corresponds with my other half using YouTube/Spotify upstairs.

Is there any way I can apportion bandwidth for each device so that I do not get lag on my ps3 when gaming?

It seems as though the Ps3 uses whatever isn't "in use" therefore if the upstairs PC is getting hammered then the PS3 performance suffers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Regulating bandwidth for different devices on my home network

No, not with your current setup, your PS3 requires a goot latency (speed sending and receiving information) and if the PC is also using the connection your data will be backed up in a queue.

There are devices that you can buy to limit this, they have QOS (quality of service) and allow you to prioritise certain traffic.

A lot will depend on your setup, are you using wireless for the PS3? if so then I would change this to either a wired connection or connect with a pair of homeplugs. Then you could fit either a switcher with QOS or if you want to spend some money you could get another router with it.

pauloconnor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like it might be a case of having to live with it!

Both devices are connected using wireless. We have one socket which is in a very awkward place under the stairs (stupid barratts) and the ps3 lives on a glass shelf underneath the TV which is wall mounted!!

I don't mind spending some money to sort the problem - could you explain what homeplugs are please? Just had a quick look via Google - they look a little similar to the One For All wireless phone line extender I use currently for ordering Sky Box Office events. I imagine the signal is a little more robust though if it's for handling problems of my kind!

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Homeplugs turn your mains wiring into a wired data network, it essentially extends the range of your ethernet connection. Plug one next to your router and the other next to your PC/console and connect via ethernet cable.

Search for Comtrend on ebay, these seem to be the best bang for your buck and you can usually pick up a pair for less than 40. Look for the ones with the mains socket passthrough on the lower half of the device.