Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to use BT Speed Tester with Sky Connect?

This is a discussion on Unable to use BT Speed Tester with Sky Connect? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I can no longer use the BT speed tester to check the accurate speed of my Sky Connect Broadband. I ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unable to use BT Speed Tester with Sky Connect?

I can no longer use the BT speed tester to check the accurate speed of my Sky Connect Broadband. I have no idea why this is happening and wonder if it has anything to do with Windows 7?
      I previously used the service with Vista and had no problems with it. I am getting the following message Ė
      The login/user name entered on this tool doesnít match that discovered by querying the network for your telephone number. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your service provider.
      I do have one puzzle, I entered the LAN MAC number on the bottom of my router followed by @skydsl and when this didnít work I went into the router to copy and paste it from there. First thing I noticed was that the LAN MAC was not the same as on the bottom of the router (Iím sure it used to be) the last two digits were now ten points different e.g. 62 now 52?
      PS I did have to install Java and Iím not sure what my PC isnít happy with but when I try to use speed tester it alters my desktop to ďbasicĒ as it says a programme isnít compatible?
      Anyone else having this issue?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Unable to use BT Speed Tester with Sky Connect?

There are 2 MAC addresses in the router one for the ADSL modem and one for the LAN router. The last digits are usually the only thing that is different about them.

I don't think it is possible for the MAC to change, but the wrong label could have been put on the router. The MAC is the Media Access Control address which is unique to every piece of communuications equipment. If it were possible for them to change, it could cause chaos in the world wide communications.

Have you tried both addresses?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are 2 MAC addresses in the router one for the ADSL modem and one for the LAN router. The last digits are usually the only thing that is different about them.

I don't think it is possible for the MAC to change, but the wrong label could have been put on the router. The MAC is the Media Access Control address which is unique to every piece of communuications equipment. If it were possible for them to change, it could cause chaos in the world wide communications.

Have you tried both addresses?
      Yes I have tried them both i.e. the new number and it is a new number as I have found the paper that I wrote down previously when checking the number in the router i.e. the LAN number against the LAN number at the bottom of the router. I have always previoulsy used the number written on the bottom of the router and had no problems. It's very strange. I am going to restore my Vista image later and see if it will run with Vista installed as opposed to Windows 7

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi have you done tests after the Bt speed tester was updated you could have a look at for information http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ed-tester.html there is a lot of information on the updated speed tester