Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed issues with Sky Unlimited.

This is a discussion on Speed issues with Sky Unlimited. within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys/Gals What a night!!! There is a whole lotta reading on this forum and a whole lot of it ...

jamesmark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: So far away I am closer to the moon!!!
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Speed issues with Sky Unlimited.

Hi Guys/Gals

What a night!!! There is a whole lotta reading on this forum and a whole lot of it is going in one ear and out the other, the rest is flying way over my head.

Anyway I have a problem which I do not think has been mentioned yet on here, and that is slow speeds. Only joking.

Been doing all the stuff the guides on here have advised and nothing will improve it. Then I stumbled on DLM and that has just confused me no end. So excuse my ignorance.

Background, Swapped from BT beginning of August 09 to Sky Unlimited (took the phone over too). Got all the stuff, happy with the 10 day tune up and I was happy with the speeds after it. That is untill appx 2 weeks ago where my DL and UL speeds are different.

Now I have been with BT for donkeys years and always enjoyed DD @ 2.5mps - 3mps (this was due to new lines being installed, pre this it was max 1.5 - 2mps)

When I joined Sky I enjoyed the exact same speeds, minus the throttling DL speeds max out @ 320kbps.

Now I max out at 200kbps and it will not go higher (all manaor of sites tested inc Microsoft and still same 200kbps). As I said this only happened appx 2 weeks ago.

On the router the figues where 3024 (appx but was above 3k) and appx 300k upload. I was happy with that. Now I am getting: -

SkyUser - Down = 1728Kbps, Up = 377Kbps

Speedtest.net - Down = 1755Kbps, Up = 669Kbps Ping = 75ms

ThinkBroadband - Down = 1398Kbps, Up = 655Kbps

Broadband Speedchecker - Down = 1504Kbps, Up = 476Kbps

BBMax - Down = 1838Kbps, Up = 358Kbps Ping = 82ms

Top 10 Broadband - Down = 1.65 Mps, Up = 60 Mbps

Router is dg834g, always on wireless but did plug in Ethernet and no difference.

Before trying test socket. Router connect via 2m extension cable where it usually sits (still going striaght to main phone socket.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 9 6 0 3 3 00:02:14
      LAN 100M/Full 100 0 0 63 0 00:03:48
      WLAN 11M/54M 438 510 0 1011 240 00:03:35

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 13 db

Test Socket connected directly from facelift phone socket to router (no extension lead)

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 384 319 0 305 758 00:04:43
      LAN 100M/Full 160 0 0 62 0 00:06:17
      WLAN 11M/54M 933 1105 0 1398 447 00:06:04

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 13 db

Now my upload is quite high imho compared to my DL speed. Any reasons for this? I do stay about 3 miles away from the exchange as stay in the sticks but I am using same BT line (as kept that with BT), same exchange and also for past 5-6 years I have never had this issue.

As said already done all the tests, tried th test socket and as you can see from results they don't change. Rebooted router etc etc.

Filled a Kana form and got the idiots guide auto reply, responded and it has been 3 days now. I have read people have replied to that email explaining what they want and that is my next step but after some advice.

What should I ask them to do in the email? Any pointers etc etc. I am not expecting miracles as I am aware I am not close to exchange, but would like that other 1mb of DL speed back since I have had it with sky already for past 3 months and with BT for past 5-6 years.

PS my line can support upto 3mbps (yes I know the "upto" is the key word)

Sorry for the long winded post, but thought it better to get it all there rather than several posts asking for info.

Kind regards

Mark

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed issues with Sky Unlimited.

Are you sure you are not on Sky Base?

If not then you are going to have to ring them and ask them to remove the cap, you should see 4-5mb with a bit of luck.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky Base would only have 606 upload at most, so the line is capped. Phone Sky, tell them you have improved your wiring and would like your speed reconfigured.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jamesmark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: So far away I am closer to the moon!!!
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

100% on Unlimted. Checked on MySky. It also shows what my line can support too: -

Quote Originally Posted by My Sky
      Your Sky Broadband
      You have Sky Broadband Unlimited which offers a maximum download speed of up to 20Mb

Speed Estimate - When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was: 2.0Mb
      Quote Originally Posted by My Sky
      Line connection testing completed on 04/08/2009

Download Speed - Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 3.0Mb (3072Kb)

Upload Speed -Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 0.3Mb (256Kb)
      The estimated download speed of 2.0Mb that they are saying is what I am getting now, however the bottom quote of 3Mb and 0.3Mb is what I was getting untill a couple of weeks ago.

Just read this thread a few moments ago - What is DLM? Everything you need to know.

And this fits the bill, as my upload speed is same (only2kbps out) as the figure qouted on how to tell if your line is DLM. Also with me trying all different settings, rebooting and powering down the router, this has probably made matters worse as they may think my line is unstable. Also same as the thread (if I am understanding it correctly) I have lost 1Mb off the DL.

What you think? Or am I getting 2 + 2 = 5? If it is then appears I will need to wait maybe up to 20days and do nothing with the router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

ring them and ask them to remove the cap, you should see 4-5mb with a bit of luck.
      Phone Sky, tell them you have improved your wiring and would like your speed reconfigured
      What more can we say, your main problem will be getting he script readers in Tier 1 to pass you to the Customer Solutions Team.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.