Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..?

This is a discussion on Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The stats are a little better whilst in the test socket and I'd be inclined to advise on getting a ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..?

The stats are a little better whilst in the test socket and I'd be inclined to advise on getting a filtered faceplate. However, it would also seem as if your line code is on adsltwo+ and your line needs manually configured. I'd suggest first and foremost staying in the test socket and calling sky to configure the line.

2. Advertisement
      ChrisDeston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1.72km away (Stalybridge)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

So okay, I read through this random article which also advises ADSL Faceplate filters so this'll be my next step after sorting where we are out. Now,
      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      However, it would also seem as if your line code is on adsltwo+ and your line needs manually configured. I'd suggest first and foremost staying in the test socket and calling sky to configure the line.
      Isn't it Good that I'm on adsltwo+? Quick search took me to another thread and I read
      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Basically they are two different line codes/modes that can be set on your profile which differ in frequencies. The rule of thumb is that g.dmt is usually the preference for lines that cannot get 8mb+ and lines that can manage 8mb+ due to a short attenuation (line length and quality from the telephone exchange) will push out more on adsl2+.

Call 08442410515. You'll get through to sky broadband technical support - ask them if they can configure your line code from adsltwo+ to g.dmt. You may be lucky enough to get through to a tier 1 with line administration access. If they can't/don't know what that is, then tell them that you would like your 'max delays reduced' due to high ping times and a ticket raised to the customer solutions team (this is just to get through the whole procedural steps quicker). The queue is usually a bit long but it shouldn't be bad at all today (as it wasn't earlier) and then when you get through to the customer solutions team just tell them you'd like your line reconfigured. A drop down change and a figure change sorts it basically.
      So should I not stay on ADSL2+ for best results (As I will be upgrading to Unlimited at the same time as phoning about all of this) or would I be better on the lesser? When asking to "configure the line" I'm pretty sure I'm gunna get a "wha?" response so any more information (just so I'm a bit more clued up when I phone) would be appreciated.

Just to start over my reply with my take of the plan so far.
      Stay in Test Socket - Monitor speeds for improvements.
      Call Sky and ask to "configure the line" for me.
      Ask to upgrade me to Broadband Unlimited.
      Buy an ADSL Faceplate Filter and fit it..
      (Looked at This Review but can't read the stats? I think it suggests This Tamar Filter to be best..)
      Hope for the best?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Don't forget to buy an IDC tool, the dispoible one is good enough for what you want to do.-
      IDC Cable Insertion Tool : Tamar Telecommunications Shop, Telephone equipment direct to your door!

There is very little difference in the various makes of faceplate, the price being the most significant.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDeston View Post
      So okay, I read through this random article which also advises ADSL Faceplate filters so this'll be my next step after sorting where we are out. Now,

Isn't it Good that I'm on adsltwo+? Quick search took me to another thread and I read

So should I not stay on ADSL2+ for best results (As I will be upgrading to Unlimited at the same time as phoning about all of this) or would I be better on the lesser? When asking to "configure the line" I'm pretty sure I'm gunna get a "wha?" response so any more information (just so I'm a bit more clued up when I phone) would be appreciated.

Just to start over my reply with my take of the plan so far.
      Stay in Test Socket - Monitor speeds for improvements.
      Call Sky and ask to "configure the line" for me.
      Ask to upgrade me to Broadband Unlimited.
      Buy an ADSL Faceplate Filter and fit it..
      (Looked at This Review but can't read the stats? I think it suggests This Tamar Filter to be best..)
      Hope for the best?
      From the stats you've given, your attenuation (line length & quality from your exchange) suggests your line can only handle around 6mb or thereabouts. I've seen lines perform well on adsltwo+ that theoretically should not, but most that cannot handle 8mb+ perform better on g.dmt. Your move to unlimited will not push out any more downstream speed, but you will push out more upstream.

Personally, I'd do what you suggested. Stay in the test socket, call sky (08442410515) and you'll reach tier 1 tech support. Tell them you're in the test socket with a new filter and you're still getting slow speed. You'll be passed to the customer solutions team who will suspend DLM and change the settings on your line and hopefully you'll see the max your line can obtain. If you upgrade to unlimited then you'll be put on DLM again, but it perhaps won't make such a muck up with the new filtered faceplate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123