Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..?

This is a discussion on Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If your test socket really is dead, there can only be one explanation, your box is incorrectly wired. Have you ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Improvements For The Best Speed Your Line Can Support..?

If your test socket really is dead, there can only be one explanation, your box is incorrectly wired. Have you tried a phone in the Test socket, does it get dial tone? What wires are conected to the faceplate?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      ChrisDeston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1.72km away (Stalybridge)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your test socket really is dead, there can only be one explanation, your box is incorrectly wired. Have you tried a phone in the Test socket, does it get dial tone? What wires are conected to the faceplate?
      Can't try anything atm (people on the phone) but I think I've established why my internet is so slow.
      My telephone exchange (found on SamKnows) is terrible.

So presumably this is "the best my line can support", less them 1mb/s?!
      Surely there's a way around this/to change this/fix this/switch to a different exchange perhaps? Or would this involve changing my telephone number also, and would it not have any effect..?

Dunno. Will continue to test the socket once the phone's free but for now, any info on that?

Thanks

I would not take too much notice of what the BT site says, it does not take LLU into account. If that distance is anything to go by you are not that far from the exchange, even doubling the straight line distance would still give you a decent speed. Your attenuation suggests you should get 4-6 Mb depending on the condition of your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I would not take too much notice of what the BT site says, it does not take LLU into account. If that distance is anything to go by you are not that far from the exchange, even doubling the straight line distance would still give you a decent speed. Your attenuation suggests you should get 4-6 Mb depending on the condition of your line.
      Fair enough, I didn't fully understand much of that but I got the general idea
      I didn't think the distance was an issue either however with it saying I will not get 2mbs and MAY get 1mbs (and with that seeming accurate with my connection) I assumed it could be because of the exchange itself? Idk, like I said I don't understand much of this..

With how things are atm I'd be ecstatic with 4mb but I'll be damned if I can get it that high.
      When you say it's dependant on the condition of my line, what could I do to improve it?
      Like, is it a cleaning jobbie? Getting someone in to do a bitta rewiring? Having a new phone line fitted?
      Sorry if I'm coming accross na´ve but any advise on successful fixes and improvements will be greatly appreciated (as is the help provided so far)

Thanks

Let's wait till you can get some testing done in your Test socket, then we will see what we can do. I will not be around much longer tonight but I am sure there will be someone to help.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Post your router stats from the test socket as suggested and I'll see if I can take over where Isitme has left off (part timer)

It would also be really helpful of you can take a photo of the wiring on the rear of the faceplate and also check to see where the incoming main BT line is connected too.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Yep, the late shift have arrived now

Thanks

Woah okay, sorry for major late reply. Tried a phone - perfect dial tone.
      However, STILL no statistics available from my router when I try that.
      http://i34.tinypic.com/3586srb.jpg < Like I said; ADSL Link Down..

Pic of the faceplate http://i38.tinypic.com/15oi1rs.jpg Like I said, it's old..
      We didn't get it replaced when we moved in - over 10 years ago, haha..
      Everything in there is tangled and a mess - four wires; two connected.
      http://i36.tinypic.com/2csgx7q.jpg There's a pic of it opened for y'all...

Not entirely sure if you can see http://i33.tinypic.com/2labgwp.jpg but the wires are connected in slots 2 and 5 (middle of each set of 3).

I'm pretty damn sure I need to at least get an I-Plate now, I never really gave it a proper look before.. Lemme know what you guys are thinking. (And If I do order one? Does an engineer come sort it out for me or do they just send me the attatchment with a little Good Luck sticker on it? )

Thanks again for all the help so far

Thanks

Don't bother about an iPlate, if anything you need a filtered faceplate. Do as I suggest in post 9, you must be able to get a router connection if you have dial tone. Also try changing the filter you are using.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Don't bother about an iPlate, if anything you need a filtered faceplate. Do as I suggest in post 9, you must be able to get a router connection if you have dial tone. Also try changing the filter you are using.

"Deposits build up on the connections and everything is fine with the faceplate in position, when you remove the faceplate it disturbs the deposits and prevents a clean connection. This is why some users claim to get a better connection from an extension than the Test socket, which is really impossible. You can usually fix this by working a plug in and out and wiggling it a few times to clear the deposits. BT engineers use a special fluid to clean the connections, but a small squirt of WD40 does quite a good job".
      I deffinately have a dial tone which is why I'm confused about the lack of connection. I quoted your Post 9 above just so I can refer back to it but I'd worked the plug in and out and gave it a good wiggle a fair few times, forgot to buy some WD40 admittedly but I tried a few filters as I also said. I'll give it another go - Wish I had a second connection so I could keep you posted a lot easier
      Gunna go Asda now and grab some and lube it up a bit but I don't see it making much of a difference though you guys know better than me

And so a filtered faceplate's better than the I-plate?
      I'm on the cheap ancient NTE5

UPDATE: Borrowed some from a neighbor instead and surprisingly it did the trick (I was very doubtful tbh).
      http://i33.tinypic.com/2eumq2a.jpg <--- Router Statistics
      And as you can see, it's gunna be a long slow night for me
      Last edited by ChrisDeston; 08-11-09 at 10:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast