Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is there anything i can do to increase speeds?

This is a discussion on Is there anything i can do to increase speeds? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What OS are you using, if it is XP, download TCPOptimiser from the link below and run it. Make sure ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

re: Is there anything i can do to increase speeds?

What OS are you using, if it is XP, download TCPOptimiser from the link below and run it. Make sure the proper adapter is selected, choose 16,000 as your speed, select the Optimal settings button and click Apply changes then reboot your PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      desiraja is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

running vista?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are running Vista there is not a lot you can do to improve the settings, so we will have to look elsewhere for the problem.

Start in Safe Mode with Networking, open a browser and go directly to this site and do a Speedtest. Note your speed and close down, boot back to Normal mode.

Close down all but one browser, including tabs. Open an elevated Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key and typing com then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter and accept the UAC. This will show everything that is using your connection. Examine each line and make sue you recognise everything.

Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com. Remove anything it recommends.

Download and run CCleaner - Home use it to clean up your Registry and Applications. Before running it set a System Restore point for safety.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

KingBeaver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: nesu
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Is there anything i can do to increase speeds?

Dear All,
      I have been in the telecommunications/ISP field for almost 20 years. Best way to improve your speed is to do the basics first.
      1. insure BT face plate has bell wire (3) removed.
      2. insure all devices have line filters. Phones, Cordless phone, Alarm systems that are attached to a phone line. All set top boxes that connect to a phone line etc etc.
      3. All secondary line jack units (LJU) are either in serial to the master (best) or parallel and never go back to serial after the parallel connection.
      4. Remove all devices that will cause EMF interference which is next to the router. For example TV, Music system, Power extension, PC's, monitors, microwaves. Keep the router at least 2 metres away from all powered devices.
      If you do this you should help your speeds and stability. This is due to you obeying the rules and laws of transmission principles. Google transmission principles and learn more if you want to swot up.
      In my humble opinion about 75% of broadband issues are within the home. 20% with the line and only about 5% with the exchange. You can only improve the line so much... Physics will always be a stumbling block!

cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123