Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why so much variance?

This is a discussion on Why so much variance? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to occasionally test my broadband speed using speedtest.net. However, a while back their interface changed and at the ...

SilentBob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDWMA (West Malling)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why so much variance?

I used to occasionally test my broadband speed using speedtest.net. However, a while back their interface changed and at the same time this site started reporting much lower speeds. I have since used the test on this site as my benchmark.

There has been recent press regarding the speed test on "Top 10 Broadband", as this also maps speeds & providers of those in your area. I thought that this sounded interesting, so gave it a try. However I was surprised to see such a slow download speed. This can't be right, so I tested on several sites, getting the results below:

SkyUser - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester
      Down = 12.8 Mbps
      Up = 0.91 Mbps

Speedtest.net - Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
      Down = 6.77 Mbps
      Up = 0.91 Mbps

ThinkBroadband - thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test
      Down = 12Mbps
      Up = 0.9 Mbps

Broadband Speedchecker - Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test
      Down = 9.33 Mbps
      Up = 0.94 Mbps

BBMax - Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed
      Down = 12.93 Mbps
      Up = 0.93 Mbps

Top 10 Broadband - Top 10 Broadband » UK Broadband Speed Test - Test Broadband Speeds in Seconds & See Your StreetStats
      Down = 6.9 Mbps (initially it tested at 2.53 Mbps!)
      Up = 0.9 Mbps

Why such a variance between the different tests. Interestingly, Top 10 BB was testing at only around 2.5Mbps. I carried out a few tests and got this. However, after performing all these tests for this thread, it is now reporting just under 7Mbps. I have not rebooted the router, or performed any other task that should affect it. However, 7Mbps is still much below what I expect.

I have also tested in the past d/loading a large file from Microsoft and timing it. This worked out at around 12Mbps.

Interested to hear views on these different tests, and what can be considered trustworthy.

Thanks,
      Simon

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Why so much variance?

Think you can safely say you've got a 12Mbps connection!!! I wouldn't worry too much, it's only BB...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There are no testers which are 100% accurate. Sky User is better than most. To get an accurate reflection of your speed you need to download a large file from a fast server. This is where speedtesters fall down, they do not transfer enough data for an accurate reading. Try downloading a large file from here and timing it.
      thinkbroadband :: Download Test Files

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

top10harry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi SilentBob

I work for Top 10 Broadband and I was interested to see your results with different speed tests.

We've had a few teething problems since we re-launched our speed test (19th October) which probably accounted for the strange speeds you were seeing.

We have just rolled out an update which fixes things. Would you mind running another test and posting the speed you get this time?

(You need to clear the cache in your browser to make sure you're using the new version. Let me know if you don't know how to do that)

Thanks!
      Harry

SilentBob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDWMA (West Malling)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top10harry View Post
      Would you mind running another test and posting the speed you get this time?
      Hi Harry,

I have Firefox set to delete everything, including cache, upon exit. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I have just run the test again with the following results: Down = 3.8Mbps, Up = 0.8Mbps

And immediately after on the SkyUser test: Down = 12.9Mbps, Up = 0.88Mbps

Retesting on Top 10 again gave even lower results the 2nd time. Certainly doesn't seem very realistic.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Top10 may be having teething problems, but at the moment it is not even in the same league as Speedtest.net, and that's crap. I have just run a test on it and it failed to complete, getting stuck at 0 .25mb. My actual speed is 7.5-7.8 Mb with Skyuser and Thinkbroadband file download.
      I don't think much of their 'Top10 broadband' either, it looks more like an advert for Virgin, who don't have a presence in my area yet are shown as the best choice of provider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.