Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

expected speeds?

This is a discussion on expected speeds? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, looking to buy a house and having tried their telephone number we've been given the following expected speeds bt ...

klop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

expected speeds?

hi, looking to buy a house and having tried their telephone number we've been given the following expected speeds

bt 1meg (max (what exactly do they mean by max, could be a whole lot lower?))
      sky 1.5meg (expected, not max) using everyday/base/unlimited packages (llu exchange)

are sky (everyday/base/unlimted) faster over distance than regular adsl? would sky packages beat a regular sky connect adsl connection speed wise, or a simillar bt/orange/tiscali adsl package?
      just wondering why sky suggest a speed of 1.5meg (expected) whilst everyone else states a max speed of 1meg?

samknows suggests 512kbs, states 1 meg and 2 meg are unavailable (see below for most sam knows screen shots)
      4.26km from exchange, in reality i guess we'd be a lot further

rural location, dead end road.. even an unmanned level crossing (gonna make any new cables harder to plan to put in in the future i guess!!?) No mains sewage or gas!

anyways, what speeds might i expect?
      i could kinda almost live with 1.5meg (it's a nice house) but i aint going to be too chuffed with it long term
      have read though that speeds given are often underestimated, can't believe that's right?

being that distance from the exchange, would we be looking at a lenghty time before any speeds might increase to a level that might be nice?

thanks for any info in advance :-)

Sam Knows info;

BT ADSL broadband availability
      You are connected to the Felixstowe telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
      Standard ADSL RAG results
      You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
      You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
      You can receive 512kbps ADSL
      You can receive 256kbps ADSL
      You are approximately 4.26km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

BT SDSL broadband availability

SDSL is not yet available in your area
      Please check using a phone number or address to perform a line check

For a further breakdown of the SDSL speeds available at your address, please use the BT SDSL checker.

LLU xDSL presence at your exchange

The following table details the availability of LLU services at your location.

AOL is available in your area
      O2 / Be Unlimited is not yet available in your area
      Bulldog (C&W) is not yet available in your area
      TalkTalk (CPW) is available in your area at up to 8Mbps
      Sky Broadband / Easynet is available in your area
      Edge Telecom is not yet available in your area
      Entanet is not yet available in your area
      Lumison is not yet available in your area
      Newnet is not yet available in your area
      Node4 is not yet available in your area
      Pipex is not yet available in your area
      Smallworld Media is not yet available in your area
      Tiscali is available in your area
      Tiscali TV is not yet available in your area
      Orange is available in your area
      WB Internet is not yet available in your area
      Zen is not yet available in your area

BT 21st Century Network (21CN) rollout

Wholesale Broadband Connect is available in your area
      There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service
      To find out more about the switch to BT's new network you can visit Switched-on, a website setup by BT in consultation with Ofcom to provide information to consumers and businesses.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: expected speeds?

Sky will be as fast as anyone else, they all use the same line.

Unless you can get stats off the router then it will all be a little guesswork. What was the distance details from the excange?

The one good thing is that there is no capacity or throttling with the Sky LLU service it is very good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Sky will be as fast as anyone else, they all use the same line.

Unless you can get stats off the router then it will all be a little guesswork. What was the distance details from the excange?

The one good thing is that there is no capacity or throttling with the Sky LLU service it is very good.
      That's what i thought, doesn't the sky package stop the throttling therefore allowing over 8mb?
      So therefore whatever conncetion we use we should expect the same speed, and whomever that's from?

That's where i'm a little confused though. SamKnows suggests 512kbs, bt line check suggests 1meg max but sky (when i called them) have suggested an expected speed of 1.5meg. Is that just a sales pitch?

There's no broadband on the line at current, so no chance of checking any router.

Samknows suggests 4.26km distance from the exchange, but that presumably is straight line.

I have read online though of others 5km plus distance still achieving 2meg + speeds, is there a chance of that in this instance?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes you should see the maximum with Sky that the line conditions will allow. One of the main factors in this is distance and there is obviously nothing you can do regarding this.

Next is line quality and although you cannot do anything about this either you can make sure that the internal extensions etc are sorted. The easiest way for this is to ensure that you fit a filtered faceplate, this will remove the rest of the wiring and allow the cleanest ADSL signal to get to the router.

As I said above, you should see the same speeds no matter which ISP you choose so it should not matter what the checkers say, they tend to use different data and Sky's always seems to be out of date, but this will not change the actual speed of the line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Samknows suggests 4.26km distance from the exchange, but that presumably is straight line.
      Actual line lengths can vary quite a bit from the straight line distance, by anything from 1.25 to twice the distance. The quality of the line is also an important factor as well as the actual length. Unfortunately until you are connected, there is no way to know how much you would get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

As I said above, you should see the same speeds no matter which ISP you choose so it should not matter what the checkers say, they tend to use different data and Sky's always seems to be out of date, but this will not change the actual speed of the line.
      That's why i was a little lost with the differing offerings from samkows(512kbs), bt(1meg) and sky(1.5meg)

Thanks for all advice though.
      Guess i've just got to decide if the house is worth a slow connection!

Seems i'm capped at 1meg anyways

But i know i'm getting 1meg and as my line will support 10meg+ the 1meg connection should be consistent where i am.

Guess my worry is that if we move there it'll be less than the one meg max offered (not too sure i believe sky and their 1.5meg claims!)

Cheers :-)
      Last edited by klop; 16-10-09 at 02:17 PM.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

26ms ping to birmingham :O your on fastpath mines 41ms ping to birmingham, id rather have lower ping than more speed, id swap my 6 meg connection for yours any day lol

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      26ms ping to birmingham :O your on fastpath mines 41ms ping to birmingham, id rather have lower ping than more speed, id swap my 6 meg connection for yours any day lol
      Hi sorry, didnt mean to confuse, the ping and speeds above are from my current home. There's no broadband where i'm hoping to move (hence no idea of possible speeds) Also i'd be on a different exchange, currently Ipswich, moving to Felixstowe

I was just saying currently i'm capped at 1meg

What's 'fastpath' and how is that better than a better speed?
      Could i seem to have a slower connection at another exchange even if the speed is the same? Very confused now!! lol

Thanks

ignore it, i thought u was getting 26ms ping on sky, if your a gamer then lower ping is better, fastpath means you will get really low ping but if you lose a packet it cant be recovered another one has to be sent, i get 31ms ping the best to uk servers which means im on interleaved, your pings can be up to 71ms ping to uk servers on interleaved!!, sky automatically put you on interleave which means higher ping (not as good for gaming) but interleave can give you a better speed, and has an error correction system which recovers any dropped packets, so interleaved is more stable, but fastpath is really good for gaming! i prefer lower ping than speed, becuase im a gamer dont get me wrong tho i wud love to keep my speed aswell as low ping

Thanks

and i think you will get more than a meg on sky (maybe about 1.5 - 2mbps) sky give you the MAXIMUM your line can get, other ISPs sometimes cap your speed for stability (sky can aswell), but ive just bin on the phone to them about my speed dropping and being capped, and they removed the cap now my lines getting everything it can possibly get im happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast