Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor download speed compared to neighbour

This is a discussion on Poor download speed compared to neighbour within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My download speed seems to be quite poor compared to my neighbours, I recently asked my next door neighbour to ...

spencer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swindon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Poor download speed compared to neighbour

My download speed seems to be quite poor compared to my neighbours, I recently asked my next door neighbour to check his router stats for me. We live 2.6m from the exchange. We have very similar stats except for the download speed.
      My stats: download speed 780kb/s, attenuation 63db, noise margin 8.1db
      upload speed 416kb/s, attenuation 31.5db, noise margin 13db.
      My neighbour:download 2000kb/s, attenuation 65db, noise margin 10db.
      upload 410kb/s, attenuation 33db, noise margin 14db.
      My router was plugged into the master,test socket. My neighbour's is via an extension on the other side of the house. I have check my connections thoroughly, the ring connection has be removed and I have tested all my filters. I have also checked the predicted download speeds of other people in the street using their telephone numbers and all come out above 1.5mb. I have just joined sky ( more than 10 days ago) and technical support blaim the BT lines and are not really interested.
      Any explaination for the differing downloads considering our telephone line probably goes down the same cable?

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Poor download speed compared to neighbour

Yours and there line can go a different way to the exchange, it all depend on the route they take and the quality of the line.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You've clearly got a problem with your line as shown by the different noise margins, compared to you neighbour.

Make sure you are connected to the test socket, ie, remove the front plate from you master and connect directly. Ensure that nothing else except your router via its microfilter (and supplied RJ11 cable) is connected and test any other phone sockets in your house to make sure they are all now dead. Do you have an alarm connected to your phone line?

Can you hear any noise on your line, dial 17070 and choose the option for a quist line test and listen for noise - do not use a DECT phone for this.

Thanks

Yes, I have plugged my router directly into the master socket via the test connection and I have checked the quiet line facility. No other equipment was plugged in. The only clue to my problem is that when a telephone is plugged straight into the master socket, witth the filter and router removed, we get a slightly better phone volume. Could be the insertion loss of the filter. I will try and replace the low grade filter supplied with an active filter to see if there is an improvement. I guess I am stuck with a poor line and and neither sky or bt are going to do anything about it.
      I guess the line problem could be anywhere between the exchange and where it enters my router but obviously anything beyond the master socket is out of my control

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Even without any audible noise on the line, I'd still give your voice provider a call and tell them you can hear some sort of interference. What they'll do is run a full line test which may still throw up a fault. If it doesn't then you haven't lost anything. Worth doing in the evening when the lines are at their noisiest and if a fault is shown then you'll be able to get a BT engineer out to test your external line. However, do not mention Broadband or they wont do anything for you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To rule out the filter, take the modem lead from your Sky digibox and use this to connect your router directly to the Test socket. Check the stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Good idea, many thanks for the suggestions