Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

would adsl2 be better?

This is a discussion on would adsl2 be better? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by ardsar Sky have just sent me the V2 Netgear box - (black) When i connected this to ...

blush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: would adsl2 be better?

Quote Originally Posted by ardsar View Post
      Sky have just sent me the V2 Netgear box - (black) When i connected this to my line, the download S/N varied dramitically from between 7dB to 1dB within a 5 min period!!!!! I put my old router back and it remained failrly constat at 7.1 - 7.4dB.

Is it a faulty box, or is the replacement showing something that the old one isn't
      I can relate to this, I was sent the same router and during the day I get a solid 7db. In the evening it goes wild between 0db and 5db, quite often resyncs too.

My other routers, Sagem, DG834GT and Linksys all show a more steady 7.something db. I took the pcb out of the router to have a look and the underside of the circuit board is filthy, covered in white powdery stuff and loads of fingerprints, quality

I dont really want to use my own router but seem to be forced to, had two Sagems which were good for a while then the psu's failed and now the mixed up Netgear V2.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I use a netgear v5 and I haven't had any problems with it as of yet, I have had the router for a good few months now, much better than the sky ones by far in my opinion.

ardsar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crownhill Plymouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update,

Sky switched me over to adsl2+ and i connected at approx 7.5M. However i thought i would try and stress the connection and used "Mels" utility to force the router to sync at 4dB giving me a connection speed of 8.6M. To my suprise, the connection has been really stable, with a CRC error rate of only 0.02% within a 24hr period!!! Sky also confirmed the low error rate and are happy to leave as is at the moment.

This has been obtained using the V1 Netgear router. I'm kind off stuck with this one now, as this is the only router that i know off where i can unofficially change the target S/N, or are there others? Also the Second generation Netgear is a pile of sh*t and did not perform well at all - so its going back.

What are the V5 boxes - ones currently being sold in the shops?

Thanks guys for all your help and support.

Thanks

Update,

Sky switched me over to adsl2+ and i connected at approx 7.5M. However i thought i would try and stress the connection and used "Mels" utility to force the router to sync at 4dB giving me a connection speed of 8.6M. To my suprise, the connection has been really stable, with a CRC error rate of only 0.02% within a 24hr period!!! Sky also confirmed the low error rate and are happy to leave as is at the moment.

This has been obtained using the V1 Netgear router. I'm kind off stuck with this one now, as this is the only router that i know off where i can unofficially change the target S/N, or are there others? Also the Second generation Netgear is a pile of sh*t and did not perform well at all - so its going back.

What are the V5 boxes - ones currently being sold in the shops?

Thanks guys for all your help and support.
      It is the DG834Gv5 and is in the shops got mine from currys.
      You are using the sky netgear v1 like I was, using the v5 netgear will increase your connection speed and from what I have seen with mine a much higher upstream speed.

These are my current stats using the v5, if I use the sky v1 I get around 11Mb with much lower upstream

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12988 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.5 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.40 db 8.5 db

ardsar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crownhill Plymouth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      It is the DG834Gv5 and is in the shops got mine from currys.
      You are using the sky netgear v1 like I was, using the v5 netgear will increase your connection speed and from what I have seen with mine a much higher upstream speed.

These are my current stats using the v5, if I use the sky v1 I get around 11Mb with much lower upstream

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12988 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.5 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.40 db 8.5 db

THanks. Can you tell me if the following tool works on the V5. Its the only tool i can find that allows you to change the target S/N.

Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk

Thanks

THanks. Can you tell me if the following tool works on the V5. Its the only tool i can find that allows you to change the target S/N.

Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk
      I have tried it with the router but it does not work.

All you need to do is connect the router then as the SNR changes and drops below say 4db then resync and the SNR will go back up, keep doing this until it stays stable no need for a tool to increase or decrease the SNR, get it set to 7db then keep resyncing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Its the only tool i can find that allows you to change the target S/N.
      See my post #26 in this thread.
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post240226

This will do what you want.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234