Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect customers being short changed.

This is a discussion on Sky Connect customers being short changed. within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky really are taking the proverbial with their Sky Connect customers of late. In fact I would go as far ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Connect customers being short changed.

Sky really are taking the proverbial with their Sky Connect customers of late. In fact I would go as far as to say they really don't want Connect customers. My speeds since around June of this year have gone from being pretty fair to abysmal mostly between 5pm and Midnight. Bear in mind I am only some 475 yards from the exchange which is flagged up as not congested and I am a very light user as well, only occasionally making use of such things like BBC iPlayer

It has taken Sky 7 weeks to reply to an email complaint I sent them, with a hard copy snail mail having been ignored completely. The reply was the usual have you checked your filters, how many sockets etc.despite the fact that I put all that information in my original email along with my router stats. One can only assume they don't even read the emails anymore and just send out a generic response.

If they don't want us fine why don't they just say so then I can do the other and drop Sky completely as the only driver keeping me with Sky is the Broadband.

They have even started putting this warning in their emails now -

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect customers being short changed.

Faust
      Hi the problems started in October for some. In June some connect Customers had no usage one night for four hours that is when a lot more connect Customers started to have problems I think they were on gamers and heavy users. That warning has been in the Sky connect T & Cs for a long time now. I cannot see anything happening in the near future as for emails I read somewhere that Sky had a back log. Some connect Customers have written to Sky`s head office and have received letters back BSkyB Corporate | Our locations you might get some information there anything is worth a try

sparkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: BT ADSL2+
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I was never a heavy user of sky connect, by left after 2 years because of the speed drop a which started in October for me stuck it out for a while then left.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality .................................There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      This has been in the T & Cs right from the start, but it is interesting they are putting it in emails. It makes it easier for dissatisfied customers to complain as they clearly say the do not restrict normal usage, which they obviously do. Recording your speed at peak times on the official BT speedtester over a period of several days should be enough to convince them that the service is not being supplied as promised.
      Going to another provider is the only solution as many have discovered.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have had another reply from Sky today in which they admit that Sky Connect customers are indeed subject to "traffic shaping" by - BT? It couldn't be that Sky are unwilling to purchase the bandwidth necessary to satisfy demand could it?

Trouble is that with being served by such a small exchange (less than nine hundred connections) no other ISP is ever going to LLU this exchange. BT is the only game in town so whichever ISP I choose it's still going to be a BT product.

I have been escalated to Tier 2 now - yea fat lot of good that will do me.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Although Sky Connect is provided by BT it is Sky that are having the issues not BT

It is as if Sky do not have enough capacity to furnish their commitments to Connect customers and if it were me, I would move to another ISP

Any other ISP should be able to provide you with an unbranded BT product, and with less shaping.

I am totally frustrated with Sky as they still say, its BT's fault when its clear that they just don't just have the capacity needed. Sky should say sorry and drop the subscription prices for those affected until they actually manage to sort the capacity issues out.

Unofficially, many sources have told us that there 'maybe' additional capacity coming on-line soon. Until then, I am of the opinion Sky should ditch those abusing their connections and not let those who use the internet as it should be used suffer because of them.

Sky Connect was 'the package' to be on if you couldn't get any of the Sky LLU packages, unfortunately now, that package has been completely desecrated and imho is just not worth bothering about, after having read, the 1000's of complaints on here.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~