Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Will upgrading package increase my speeds?

This is a discussion on Will upgrading package increase my speeds? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just had an interesting conversation with Sky Technical support. Could anyone shed any light on this: I asked ...

Charlie999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01902
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Will upgrading package increase my speeds?

I have just had an interesting conversation with Sky Technical support. Could anyone shed any light on this:

I asked if my line was capped to the speed of 1.5 Mbps and eventually I was told that I was. I then asked if this cap could be removed and so I could get closer to the 2 Mbps that my package allows or even upgrade to the next one and possible go over it. Then the strange answer came. The tech guy did a test on my line and said that the fastest speed I could hope for was .5 Mbps! I told him that I was getting 3 times that with a cap. I asked if the cap could be removed and he said if it was then my speed would go down to 0.5!!! This does non sound right to me does it to anyone else? There was a slight language barrier though.

I know I have some issues with my wiring but that could be sorted out.

If I just bite the bullet upgrade for at least one month do you think that cap would be moved to 10 Mbps allowing me a bit more than now or do you think they will leave it there cause of the 0.5 Mbps issue.

Ive had Sky broadband ages and seem to remember once having a package that was 1.5 Mbps. Its as if when they increased their packages I was left behind.

Charlie

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Charlie999
      Hi the Line Attenuation of 65.5 db means you have a very long line from the exchange to where you live and if you up grade to The Everyday package at 10mbps max and 10gb monthly download.the length of your line is not going to change there for you cannot get more speed have a look at the link might explain a bit more
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Look at it this way, yo have a motorbike that will do 40mph, just because you drive it on the motorway does not mean it can go any faster.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

When you phoned Sky, were you plugged into the Test socket? It does not look like you were. Your very low margin in your extension means that if the cap was removed and your router rebooted you would probably sync about 1 Mb lower. The figure in your Test socket should allow you to resync 1Mb+ higher.

Unfortunately, with Sky support it depends a great deal on which agent is on your case. If you had left the router in the Test socket and told them your wiring had been improved, you should have been passed to the CST who would have seen that your line could handle more.

Without making the improvements to your line you are wasting your time and money upgrading for more speed. There is a good chance that DLM would be put back on your line and you would end up with 512kb. If you upgrade and want to downgrade within the minimum period, Sky would make a charge, I think it is about 20.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the good replies it has taught me a lot. I have bit the bullet and upgraded. Hey its only a fiver and has other benefits.

I have moved my router though now to the test socket and that is where it will stay till I sort the line out. I now have a filter in the test socket my router direct into that and then the other phone lines on the other end of the filter. Its the same line that my router used to be on but now the router is before it instead of after it. Could that still cause me problems or should I look at getting rid of that wire all together?

Anyway my new stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2720 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 13.0 db

As you can see it increased the speed by over a meg 1.2 to be exact. Not bad but better. How is the noise now 8.3 to 13.0?

Still don't understand high is better I'm told but should they be the same.

Charlie

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The ups and down noise margins are normally different, usually the upstream is higher, this is normal because the upstream speed limit is lower the the download limit.

Higher is better because it means that your line has some room for either improvement or a little margin to play with before the data is corrupted.

Thanks

You might want to call Sky now and ask them to improve your upload speed. You should be good for about 600kbps. Your downstream is fine for your attenuation, so don't let them play with it unless they can give you more.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers people.

I take it my 8 and 13 ish are as good as could hope for. Mind you, you cant go back further than the test socket!

I think I will email sky and ask about the uploads speeds talking to there technical support is like pulling teeth.

I have read on this forum about a 10 day line testing procedure. How do you know when this is done or going to be done?

Charlie.

Thanks

I think I will email sky and ask about the uploads speeds
      I wouldn't advise that. Too often emails are misunderstood and you end up getting a cap put on your download. Shouldn't happen, but it does.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12