Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I Improve this ?

This is a discussion on Can I Improve this ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My main use for BB is for online gaming. Well of course the family does the usual surfing but daddies ...

KanesFist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I Improve this ?

My main use for BB is for online gaming. Well of course the family does the usual surfing but daddies COD4 takes precedence .

Anyway SKY has just regraded my line from Mid to Everyday. I explained to them I need good performance (ping) for my gaming so they have already reduced my MaX delay to 8.

During the regrade I never saw any differences so I sent an e-mail through KANA just to make sure they did everything possible. One of the ladies replied and told me she had adjusted the line. I saw a dramatic improvement in my speeds and Ping:

Mid Package
      DL - 6
      UL - 0.12
      Ping - 75ms

Everyday
      DL - 9
      UL - 0.4
      Ping - 42ms

I replied to the e-mail saying thanks, would love to see the ping even lower but thanks anyway. Unfortunately some other chap must have done something else with which reduced the DS speed and increased the ping by around 20ms.

Anyway here are my stats

Connection Speed - DS = 9794 kbps US = 574 kbps
      Line Attenuation - DS = 30 db US = 16 db
      Noise Margin - DS = 7 db US = 20 db

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can I Improve this ?

Just reading through the site and saw mentions of the i-plate etc

thinkbroadband :: BT Master Socket Identifical Tool for BT I-Plate

My line as far as I am aware is pretty stable (no obvious disconnects) but if I fitted one of these might I improve my speeds and Ping ?

My existing face plate is the one he mentions in the Vid with the T logo so I assume it is the same as the BT Piper logo one. I opened it up last night and the only wiring I can see is two grey copper wires connected to A and B. Dont know if this means something to anyone.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have extensions? If you have they should be connected to the face plate. It looks like you have none, so fitting an iPlate or a filtered faceplate for that matter would make no difference.

All the iPlate does is filter the ring circuit, removing he wire from terminal 3 on the face plate gets the same result. As I said if you have no extensions you have nothing to worry about, don't waste your money.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not entirely sure if I have extensions. There are sockets dotted about the house but I dont think they are wired in.

What is your opinion of my stats ?

I would consider maybe going up to the Unlimited package but as I said lagless gaming is my primary aim so if they were to increase my speeds without a relative improvement in my ping it would be a waste of time.

Thanks

The unlimited package will make no difference to your ping or your speed.

The MID and Everyday are the same thing, the latter is just the new name for it. What has happened is that you have been moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+ and your cap raised giving you up to 10Mb download instead of the previous up to 8Mb. Your line is under performing as previously you should have had the full 8Mb and on Unlimited you should get pretty near the full 16Mb. However your noise margin shows that you are getting as much as your line can carry.

As you are using an ADSL filterplate it would seem your external line is of poor quality. Have you checked the extensions you have to see if they have dial tone? They may be connected to a junction box before the wire gets to your Master socket. If any are, this could severely effect your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont have the ADSL faceplate and will need to check the extensions.

The extensions are there for the SKY HDTV I reckon. I will need to go under the floor and trace whats what regards cabling.

Can I assume that the faceplate I mentioned is the main one as the only wiring in it is those two grey copper wires in at the back ?

I am going to run the tests again tonight but hardwire the lappy to the router and connect it to the test socket.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

As you are using an ADSL filterplate
      Sorry about that, I should have said Test socket, I had just replied to another who had a filtered faceplate and it stuck in my mind..
      The reason I ask you to check your other extensions was because sometimes wiring is done incorrectly by taking extensions from a junction box rather than the Master socket. You don't have to go under floors, just plug a phone into them and see if they have a dial tone.

Can I assume that the faceplate I mentioned is the main one as the only wiring in it is those two grey copper wires in at the back ?
      Yes, that will be the main socket, the twin copper wires you mention are the old type of wire used to connect the house to the pole. If you can trace your wiring from the pole back to your house and see if it runs through any other boxes and especially if these boxes have more than one set of wires coming out of them.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK I am going to walk round and check them then. Can you check the link to my original thread above which I posted up ages ago and give me your opinion on the stats then Versus now.

I am in Aberdeen now ... are their exchanges not as good as the central belt ?

PS thanks for your help .....

Thanks

Your stats look better now, there is room for improvement in your upload especially. Sky should be able to adjust this for you if you phone them.

I don't think there is any difference in exchanges which have been enabled. There could be in those that have to use Connect, but that is not your problem

TomD

Useful Utilites