Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bell Loop Question...

This is a discussion on Bell Loop Question... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I have recently move to a new house and my Sky broadband has now just followed me there! ...

mtkphoenix83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Bell Loop Question...

Hi All,

I have recently move to a new house and my Sky broadband has now just followed me there! It was activated yesterday...and as soon as the line was on...i had the face plate off and was into the TEST socket, hoping to see a slight increase of speed (as that's what i got at the last house)...and in fairness..i did see a slight improvement. (0.4mb+)

Now...the real point that I'm trying to get across here is an issue i have with the wiring of the faceplate...

In my own old house...in the master socket there were 8 (maybe 6) wires connected to the face plate...i removed the TWO bell-loop wires..and WOW (and NO...I don't mean "World of Warcraft" there!) the speed was greatly improved...

Next bit...As i came to do the same procedure to my new setup, when I removed the face plate...i noticed that are only 4 wires connected to this one. And they are not of the new standard of which i had in my old house.

The faceplate is my old house had 2 columns of 4 connectors on the face plate..and this only has one column of 4 down one side of the faceplate...and the wires are different colors to what i was expecting. I di removed TWO wires to remove the Bell Loop in my old house...i vaguely recall them being orange + orange/white, and i dont see those colours in my existing wiring..and i have no idea why!!!???

I have been "google-ing" through some sites and i just cant seem to find a solution to my problem...which basically is..Where is my BELL LOOP on my current!?!? lol

Any help on this would be great... I understand that pictures would prob be a big help, but i am at work right now and cant get pictures just yet..but if anyone would like me post some, then i'll gladly put them on tonight when i get back home...but any suggestions before hand would be gretaly apprecaited!!

Cheers all, and thanks again for reading!!

Phoenix.
      “The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit.” - Porterfield

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Bell Loop Question...

If you see four connections they will be numbered 2,3,4 and 5. The ring wire, if connected, will be on 3.

Thanks

Hey neilmcl..

Thanks for your quick response. I will check it out when i get home and let you know!

“The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit.” - Porterfield

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In my own old house...in the master socket there were 8 (maybe 6) wires connected to the face plate...i removed the TWO bell-loop wires
      There are only 3 active wires in a domestic circuit. The bell wire, which is usually orange is connected to terminal 3, terminals 2 and 5 carrying the phone circuit(normally blue/white blue). If you had another wire, possibly connected to Terminal 4, this is redundant and would only be connected to keep the box tidy. Some engineers do this, but it is not really necessary.

The number of wires you need depends on how many extensions you have and how they are wired. If they are looped from box to box you will only have two sets, one incoming and one going out to your extensions. If your circuit is 'spider' installed, you will have one set for each extension plus your incoming. This assumes you have an old type box, if you have an NTE5 with a Test socket, you will not see the incoming wires.

Post a picture(s) if your can.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So am i right in assuming...that no matter what the color is...the BELL LOOP (or Bell wire) *should* be connected to terminal 3?

I'll be sure to home the kroning tool from work today, just incase!! LOL

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

(or Bell wire) *should* be connected to terminal 3?
      Yes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

& if you have an Openreach branded NTE5 removing the bell wire will make no difference.(Also if you have an ADSL faceplate fitted to the NTE5).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      & if you have an Openreach branded NTE5 removing the bell wire will make no difference.(Also if you have an ADSL faceplate fitted to the NTE5).

I am sorry dude....I would not usually QUOTE things on this forum but here goes...

I am back from home now (for the people who have been helping me during the day!) and I have just removed the bell wire (from terminal 3 of the face plate)

Lastnight...my download speed (from speedtest.net) was 3.53 Mbps...

Tonight..after the alterations...its now at 6.21Mbps!!!
      (modem stats: D/load stream is @ 7005kbps & U/load stream is @ 796kbps)

Thank you so much to the guys that helped me earlier today...I OWE ya one!!!

VERY VERY HAPPY INDEED!!!
      Last edited by mtkphoenix83; 11-08-09 at 06:34 PM. Reason: modem stats addition

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtkphoenix83 View Post
      I am sorry dude....I would not usually QUOTE things on this forum but here goes...

I am back from home now (for the people who have been helping me during the day!) and I have just removed the bell wire (from terminal 3 of the face plate)

Lastnight...my download speed (from speedtest.net) was 3.53 Mbps...

Tonight..after the alterations...its now at 6.21Mbps!!!
      (modem stats: D/load stream is @ 7005kbps & U/load stream is @ 796kbps)

Thank you so much to the guys that helped me earlier today...I OWE ya one!!!

VERY VERY HAPPY INDEED!!!
      In which case you won't have a BT Openreach branded NTE5?(Openreach along the top front cover) (as that would have the bell wire filter in it which would achieve the same job as removing the bell wire while leaving the wiring as it should-same as what BT's I Plate does(although the I Plate or Broadband Accelerator as it is now called also features an RF filter, the same as found in a BT 80B RF3).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Yeah i suppose you are right...i kinda jumped the gun due to my excitement!! LOL

Anyways, once out of my 10-day-training period..I'll check the stats and then post them on here!!

Thanks again all for your help!!!

Phoenix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast