Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Second opinion on my speed please

This is a discussion on Second opinion on my speed please within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I finally got round to opening July's Sky magazine last night and noticed the flyer about the reduction ...

feck_on_a_stick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glengormley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Second opinion on my speed please

Hi everyone,

I finally got round to opening July's Sky magazine last night and noticed the flyer about the reduction of download limits from 40GB to 10GB. Like a number of people here it's put me in the mood to move. I have an O2 mobile contract so I'm tempted to move there and take advantage of the discount for customers (and Quidco). When I first joined Sky about 18 months ago I was told I could get speeds up to 4GB. The O2 site says speeds up to 6GB. It would be brillant to know I could get speeds close to either, but I don't think I am.

I've never really been happy with my speed but always put it down to distance from my nearest exchange

according to exchange checker:
      Distance:- Direct: 1.55 mi
      (appx)*By Road: 1.7 mi

I currently use a one yr old imac, I've the Netgear DG934G connected wirelessly to the mac, and on Sky Mid/Everyday. I used to be on Connect but got a letter in May 2008 being told I had been moved to Mid. I live in a development built 4 years ago, in a timber framed property.

Would someone mind checking my figures to see if they sound ok? Sorry they arent showing in a nice table. I searched for how to post properly but only found the way PC users can do it via the Skyuser stats tool.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 6998351 7341263 0 1851 2554 284:59:49
      LAN 100M/Full 1789019 2930708 0 162 118 862:27:11
      WLAN 11M/54M 17402677 14957080 0 400 1276 862:26:58

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2432 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46 db 27 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 11 db

I also ran a speedtest on speedtest.net which resulted in:

From what little I've read tonight, I am thinking the router stats are ok but the speedtest stats are way out for some reason.

I download music and movies, use iplayer, and xbox 360 Live so I dont want to be worrying about poor speed and now also download limits.

I am very close to moving, however, I like the fact my tv, phone and internet are bundled together, I've never had any previous disconnection issues with Sky and I guess I don't want the hastle of moving if it won't make a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated

Also, My mac is situated in a room directly above my router. The router is connected to my xbox 360 via a network cable. I would stream music and video down to my xbox 360 but streaming speeds are also very slow and I was wondering if an N rated router with O2 BB would also help.....maybe I should start a new thread for this one though haha

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Second opinion on my speed please

Your stats are very poor actually. Can you plug into your test socket, link below and post them from there. A wireless connection will be fine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply

I plugged the router into the master socket and getting these router stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3737 4842 0 3442 18730 00:04:59
      LAN 100M/Full 179 0 0 121 0 00:06:49
      WLAN 11M/54M 5334 4437 0 14665 2956 00:06:36

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6624 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46 db 26 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 13 db

Anything in those that can help? lol

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Looks like a duff line to be honest. Your noise margin is very low and going to the test socket has not changed anything, have you tried changing filters on the socket to see if anything changes in the numbers?
      Also when you went into the test socket did all (if you have any) other sockets on the line drop dial tone?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You need to plug the router into the test socket of the master if you have one.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feck_on_a_stick View Post
      I plugged the router into the master socket and getting these router stats:
      Did you plug into the TEST socket which is behind the front faceplate? the master socket will not be good enough to test from.

Thanks

To be honest I don't know why the previous posters have not noticed the 200% increase in sync speed. This shows that your internal wiring is dragging your speed down. Rebooting your router(in the Test socket) will probably reduce your speed slightly and increase your noise margin. You should fit and use a filtered faceplate such as this and most of your problems will be over.
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your advice everyone.

The second set of results came from the test socket in the master - sorry for the mixup.

That's the state of my socket. To me it looks very untidy. Is there anything I can do to improve the wiring?

Also it's right beside an electrical socket. Would that cause any interference?

I'll definately look into the filtered faceplate Is it easy to fit, especially considering the mess above?

Thanks

All it involves is removing the wires from the faceplate and re-attaching them to the filtered plate. You do not need the orange wires on Terminal 3, you can take them off now if you like. They can cause interference in some cases and are redundant with modern phones. If and when you get a filterplate, get a disposable IDC tool with it as you will need it to replace the wires properly.

What you have is not really a mess, it is quite tidy compared to some.

TomD

Useful Utilites