Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Variance on Line attenuation with different routers

This is a discussion on Variance on Line attenuation with different routers within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm just about to switch to Sky ( LLU ) having had a shoddy service (and been overcharged as ...

trebell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Variance on Line attenuation with different routers

Hi,

I'm just about to switch to Sky (LLU) having had a shoddy service (and been overcharged as it turns out) from BT for years (made much worse by the horribly unreliable home hub).

Just a question. I stopped using the Hub as it would regularly synch at just 400k and lock my ip profile down.

I switched to either a 3com or netgear. The thing is, the 3com gets a line attenuation of 52 and s/n margin of 14 and thus a synch speed of 2.5 mbps. The netgear gets only 57 and the same s/n margin and synchs slower.

Just a question, does anyone know why two routers might get such different attenuation stats?

Finally, the Sky literature suggested i would only get up to 1 meg, though i currently get more (on adsl 1). Is it likely that i'll get more than 1 meg based ony my stats? (i know my attentuation means I won't get that high but thought it could be higher than that).

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Variance on Line attenuation with different routers

The line stats, as opposed to sync speed, are only a rough and ready guide on domestic routers so dont worry about the differance in attenuation indicated. Sky only estamate what speed your line will support, and you will only know for sure once they have activated it.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trebell View Post
      Just a question, does anyone know why two routers might get such different attenuation stats?
      Attenuation is principally a measure of the line length/quality. However, it is also influenced by how and what is being measured e.g. different ADSL modes will give a different reading and also different routers will measure the "same" attenuation differently.

Thanks

Thanks for that. I'm guessing the Sky stats are conservative anyway (based on the fact i get more when the hub isn't being used now with BT).

In fact the BT line checker says i can only get 512 , which is total tosh, so i'm hoping that I get what I currently get once activated with Sky (about 1.6 - 2.2 meg on a line with the above stats 57db down at worst and s/n margin of 15.6 right now).

Thanks

Just a quick question on this.

Would there be any reason for BT to have locked my s/n margin so high?

seems that nearly 16 is preventing a good synch speed to me.

Thanks

In a nutshell, because of line instablity. You say you are moving over to Sky, while you wait for this to happen do check out any internal phone wiring you may have. Read the cable and faceplate section. With a long line like yours, consider a filter faceplate and try and get the router as close as possible to the master socket.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trebell View Post

Would there be any reason for BT to have locked my s/n margin so high?
      That's the way the BT system works - it will have detected a problem with your line and has adjusted the noise margin up until the problem disappeared.

Have a look at the cable and faceplate help forum for info on improving your line/wiring.

Edit: beaten to the answer again . . . .

Thanks

Thanks all. I have plugged the router into the test socket and got the same results. I'm using a filtered face plate and the router is in the master socket - no internal wiring. Actually, does the BT iplate count as filtered?

There were some line problems months (years possibly) ago and as I've only really decided to look into it rather than accepting the speed (when i found out what others around here get) I didn't know.

Looks like BT have simple refused to ever reduce it.

We used to turn the router off at night (home hub). Could this have been read as a problem by them?

Thanks

Well thats fine then, no an I-Plate does not count as a filter and as you have no internal wiring (how do you plan to connect up your Sky box to the phone line, or are you not going to bother?) then you do not need an I-Plate, but a filter faceplate is a very good idea. Its common after a line fault for BT to ram up the noise margin and it tends to stick there. As you will soon be on Sky LLU just forget about it and look forward to no more profiles. When you get on Sky DO NOT turn off the router fo the first 10 days at least so that DLM can do its stuff, its all in the welcome letter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Well thats fine then, no an I-Plate does not count as a filter and as you have no internal wiring (how do you plan to connect up your Sky box to the phone line, or are you not going to bother?) then you do not need an I-Plate, but a filter faceplate is a very good idea. Its common after a line fault for BT to ram up the noise margin and it tends to stick there. As you will soon be on Sky LLU just forget about it and look forward to no more profiles. When you get on Sky DO NOT turn off the router fo the first 10 days at least so that DLM can do its stuff, its all in the welcome letter.
      Ah sorry, thought you meant internal extensions and stuff.

Yes, there is one cable from the router that sits next to the phone line (very short). Plugs into a new micro filter on that master socket. The sky box plugs into a doubler on there along with the phone. I see what you mean, perhaps this causes problems. I tested last week and got the same results with or without that plugged in so am hoping not but this filtered plate does sound wise.

I realise i misunderstood the filtered faceplate. The iplate just cuts out interference from the ring wire i think?

If it would be advisable then, i'll order a filtered face plate.

Thanks for your advice. I had a feeling that the BT one was just stuck. It will be interesting to see if Sky can deliver a little more speed or if it will be less as per the max 1 meg in their welcome letter (hope not).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast