Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Inconsistant Speeds???

This is a discussion on Inconsistant Speeds??? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been with Sky and the Sky Connect package (17pm on top of my other Sky TV and ...

ashthekid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: BT Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Inconsistant Speeds???

Hi,

I have been with Sky and the Sky Connect package (17pm on top of my other Sky TV and Telephone bundle) since Oct 2007.

I have enjoyed consistant download speeds of around 5mb and this has worked way above my expectations for my computer and xbox. About 4 weeks ago I noticed some lagging during gameplay on Call of Duty on the xbox so I checked my speed on speedtest.net and I was getting 0.4mb download speeds which was awful compared to what I was used to. Ever since it has been consistently lower than 0.5mb and I can hardly play online nowadays and general internet usage on my computer is really really bad. I have rebooted my router to see if that makes a difference but I would say 1 out of every 20 speedtests I do produce a healthy 5mb download speed - the rest are 0.5mb and under.

Can you tell me whether Sky Connect (i.e. Easynet) can cap or restrict your downloads? I shouldn't get a download limit. Is there anything I can do to stop this inconsistancy? I was told when I signed up I would enjoy upto 8mb downloads but obviously never expected near that. However I do expect to be able to get 5mb whenever I like.

Any help?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Inconsistant Speeds???

Sky Connect is not on the Easynet network, it is a re-badged BT product and at the moment is over capacity. It has a Fair Usage Policy and also a 40gb monthly limit as per the T&C's, it also has a peak time of 5pm - midnight where your speeds may be (are) reduced, during the school holidays, you may find this is all day.

I am surprised you have only started to have problems recently, some users have been having problems since late 2008.

Are you using wireless, this could account for it, especially if a neighbour has invested in some wireless equipment that is on a similar channel to yours?

Post your router stats from the current position and also from the test socket, this will indicate it the problem is your end.