Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband throttled at peak hours

This is a discussion on Broadband throttled at peak hours within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had Sky Broadband since Jan 2008. The speed was initially variable but after pressurising Sky to no effect, ...

manrow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband throttled at peak hours

I have had Sky Broadband since Jan 2008. The speed was initially variable but after pressurising Sky to no effect, I decided to ask BT to investigate in June 2008. I was warned that I risked paying the BT bill if no fault found.

The Bt engineer agreed that broadband speed was low compared to other houses in my area; he checked the BT box close to my house and found speed low there too. He checked the exchange and the speed delivered to my line was good, so changed my line to other cables coming from the exchange. That immediately improved broadband at home to 7.6Mbs.

Almost a year later broadband speed became variable again, and I could not convince the Sky techies that the router was failing. On July 1, While uploading my website, the upload speed was varying so much that the correct transfer did not take place and my website was garbled. Sky responded by sending me 2 routers one after the other as the first replacement did not work either.

Once the refurbished router was installed on 7th July I uploaded my website again to correct the corrupted files, in doing so this exceeded the upload limit so since then my broadband has been restricted between 5pm and midnight to around 1.5Mbs, although I understood this would be for only 7 days. It is still the same now, ten days on.

I am taking this up with Sky as the exceedance occurred only because their cr*p router (Sagem) failed and I think this is most unjust. The techies I talk to at Sky agree as my normal monthly usage is 5Gbs against a max available of 40Gbs.

Anyone else any experience of being throttled like this, and for how long?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Broadband throttled at peak hours

should've read THIS
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks IAmNotTheEnemy,

I have viewed the sites you refer to, what a pity I do not have a Netgear modem!

I now understand from the Sky techies that my throttled broadband may be permanent - no one seems to know? And all because of a Sky router failure? No justice in that at all.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You are throttled but it is nothing to do with your usage, it is the Connect package, it is over capacity and so EVERYBODY on it is being throttled & traffic shaped.

You need to move ISP, see if there is a LLU supplier in your exchange, O2 or Be would be good.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How can I check for LLUs in my exchange?

In any case it seems to me that if some exist and the owners are successful at selling their services then traffic could build-up as it has now?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks