Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do Sky always turn your speed down...

This is a discussion on Do Sky always turn your speed down... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR OK With those stats, you are at approx 1meg down, and 412Kb up - However I ...

Bribrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Do Sky always turn your speed down...

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      OK

With those stats, you are at approx 1meg down, and 412Kb up - However I would have thought that you should *theoretically* see the full 2meg on Base, and possibly up to 6meg if on Mid / Everyday.

Not quite sure why you are seeing such poor results.

You could try posting the stats from the test socket and see if any better, or as previously said, you could be on DLM or even capped.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

In reality your attenuation is not far off mine, and I am currently at 6meg and normally get approx 7 meg
      I did try my connection with the main socket faceplate off & with different filters but was the same. I'll try it again & post the results up.....

2. Advertisement
      izools is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could these increases in attenuation have anything to do with the fact that Sky is moving from DSLAMs to MSANs to provide those with Sky Talk line rental with the service over their PSTN network and not via BT Wholesale Line Rental?

I hear that Tie Pairs inside exchanges linking LLU equiptment to the MDF can be very long, several hundred meters in fact. The Exeter telephone exchange, for example, has multiple MDFs and is five stories tall so if Sky install their MSANs on the top floor and the MDF feeding my line is in the basement, then the Tie Pairs coud theoretically be very long indeed; adding attenution.

Also some LLU providers have to put their equiptment in a seperate building depending on exchange capacity, with tie pairs from the "sub exchange" to the BT Exchange travelling an indeterminate length underground between MSAN and MDF.

Obviously since Easynet have had their LLU kit in most exchanges for a long time (I know they were only the 2nd LLU provider in Exeter) the original equiptment could have been very close to the MDF. Now that they have to install new equiptment to support their PSTN network, after most of the LLU providers have done their thing (e.g. Bulldog, Tiscali, Orange, and Be* have put their equiptment in WWEXTR since it was originally unbundled by Easynet) this would probably be much further fom the MDF than the original Easynet DSLAMs.....

Just a theory at the moment, am I thinking along the right tracks?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, i left it until today & rang Sky again, customer service girl kept going through the same old pull this out, push this in, change filter, unscrew socket cover etc even though i kept telling her all this was done & just to uncap my download speed. In the end i gave up in frustration & hung up on her.
      Half an hour later this was my stats....
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.6 db 24.0 db

So she got there in the end, lets see how long it stays this way............

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

just to uncap my download speed. In the end i gave up in frustration & hung up on her
      I don't think you were capped. You were previously on ADSL2+ but your line was so bad it could not handle it. You have now been put on G.DMT which works better on noisy lines. If you consider upgrading you will have to sort out the noise problems as the way things stand, you would get very little more speed. You should be able to get 4-5 Mb quite easily with your attenuation, but your noise margin shows you will get nothing like that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think you were capped. You were previously on ADSL2+ but your line was so bad it could not handle it. You have now been put on G.DMT which works better on noisy lines. If you consider upgrading you will have to sort out the noise problems as the way things stand, you would get very little more speed. You should be able to get 4-5 Mb quite easily with your attenuation, but your noise margin shows you will get nothing like that.
      Cheers for the info, if i can just keep getting 2048 kbps i'll be more than pleased. At some stage i'll maybe try a new socket faceplate with built-in filter to see if that helps with the noise.........

Exchange:
      Thanks

So what should my optimum noise level be... today it's...
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 24.0 db

Should i be looking at higher or lower figures..........

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The higher the noise margin figure, the more stable your connection will be. As the figure rises, so the potential for more speed goes up. The default figure is around 7dbs, anything much less than that and the connection is liable to drop. Anything much higher indicates your line is capable of more speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12