Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Improving my speed

This is a discussion on Improving my speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Brian, yes, I have Zen and Sky, with my Sky box (now filtered) on the Zen line. The Sky router ...

Jon12345 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hove
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Improving my speed

Brian, yes, I have Zen and Sky, with my Sky box (now filtered) on the Zen line. The Sky router and the Zen router are connected to a double socket in my office upstairs. The original master socket is downstairs, which was for the Zen line, which I have had for ages. I am presuming it is still considered the master socket, but how can I tell?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well as you have two lines at the double socket upstairs, and a master down stairs the way it works is one line will use the downstaris master and the other will use one side of the double socket as its master, the question is which is which! and without have a having a look it is impossible to tell. However we can get some clues, apart from the Sky box, do you have any normal phones on the Zen BB line? and do you have any normal phones on the Sky BB line?

Just read you lastest post, so the Master for the Sky line is part of the double upstaris, do you have any normal phones on the Sky BB line?

Thanks

Brian69, did you used to work for BT? You seem to know what you are talking about.

I don't have any phones plugged into the Sky phone line. Just the router.

Thanks

Now what follows depends on how you feel about messing with your wiring, but you could check and see if it is wired like this, if it is there is not a lot to be done other than call Sky and try and get you capp lifted.

(1) Both lines should enter at the back of the downstar master, this assumes they arrive in the same cable.

(2) at the back of this master, the Sky line will be joined to the cable going up-stairs to the double socket and one side of this will be its master.

(3) the Zen line will use the master downstairs, with extension to the other side of the double socket, which should have had its components removed so it is an extension socket.

(4) as you dont use the Sky line for other than BB, it is worth doing a check for line noise. Plug in a normal phone and dial a single digit. You should just hear a low hiss, no crackle.

(5) If none of this makes any sense to you, and it is possible that the lines do not arrive together so it may not, then you may need to "get a man in".
      but first get on to Sky as they may be able to lift the cap

Thanks

I've just taken the plate off the upstairs double socket. On the Sky side, it has green and black wires, on the Zen side it has orange (red?) and white. Are the colours significant? e.g. green and black=extension?

Thanks

Plugged in a phone and notice a very slight tapping noise on the Sky side but not the Zen side. Its rapid, almost continuous, very quiet by just audible.

Thanks

No the colours are right, Orange and white indicate the first line and Green and black the second.
      It sounds like this is the master for both lines and that you line arrives overhead?

If you are doing the test with a normal wired phone? (not a wireless/wires free one) then the noise is caused be meter pluses and should not be auadable, you need to contact who ever you pay your line rental to, and report this noise

Thanks

The lines arrive overhead but the cable goes downstairs. They go to the downstairs junction box and this then goes in two directions! Back upstairs and also a connection to the downstairs is a master plate type connection, which has a test socket if you take the front off.

Thanks

Yes that makes sense, they have just used overhead wiring for all the external work, It sounds o.k and your problem with the Sky line is down to the meter pluse noise.

Thanks

Been on the phone to Sky and they suggested I disconnect the Zen broadband router. The result is that my Downstream went from 5568 to 8239kbps and the Noise Margin went from 15 to 7 db.

Your thoughts? What do I do about the Zen? Put it in another box or is the interference likely to be from from the cables sharing the same route?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast