Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow Sky Max connection - can you look at my stats please?

This is a discussion on Slow Sky Max connection - can you look at my stats please? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone can have a look at my stats and tell me what they think. ...

Chris-C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Slow Sky Max connection - can you look at my stats please?

Hi there.

I'm just wondering if anyone can have a look at my stats and tell me what they think.

I've signed up to sky max (due to the un-capped bandwidth) and knew I wouldnt get more than a 4mb connection.

I've probably messed things up by rebooting the router during the first 10days but currently my router is capping me at about 2mb speeds. I've bought an i-plate to try and cut down the possibility of my home wiring being an issue but I'm still suffering slow speeds.

SpeedTest - With iPlate
      13:55 20/05/2009

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1905kbps 671kbps
      Line Attenuation 59db 36db
      Noise Margin 5db 9db

Whilst I accept I'll never get near to the 16mb max speed it'd be nice to have nearer what they told me I'd get originally.

Line checkers etc say that I should get ~3.5mb/4mb and my confirmation letter from sky even said 4mb.

If anyone can look at the stats and give me an oppinion it'd be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Slow Sky Max connection - can you look at my stats please?

Your line is getting more than it should at the moment. Remove the front plate of the master socket and plug into the Test socket, link below. Take your stats from there and post them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your line is getting more than it should at the moment. Remove the front plate of the master socket and plug into the Test socket, link below. Take your stats from there and post them.
      On a line attenuation of 59db @ 5db SNRM would suggest 2944 kbps sync and throughput of 2605 kbps. This of course is at best only a guide.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've already taken off the master socket as I mentioned having an "i-plate" which filters all of the possible other problems.

I'm just mildly annoyed that I was told I would be able to get those sort of speeds and they are deteriorating.

I had the broadband connected before it was techincally connected (well, me being billed - long story) and it was connecting at 3500~4000kbps. This was about a month ago. Nothing has changed apart from sky have officially connected me and now its going considerably slower

Thanks

On a line attenuation of 59db @ 5db SNRM would suggest 2944 kbps sync and throughput of 2605 kbps. This of course is at best only a guide.
      The default noise margin is 6.9dbs, which means this line is sucking down more than it can handle, irrespective of the attenuation. Slightly more noise on the line would cause it to drop completely. With a good line this attenuation should give about 3-4mbs.

The iPlate filters the ring wire, not all possible other problems, that is why I suggest you try the Test socket. You would have been better fitting a filtered faceplate which does isolate all internal problems.

I would guess that when you were first connected your line was running with the G.DMT mode, it has probably been put on ADSL2+, which it cannot handle very well. Only Sky CST can fix this if it is the case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The default noise margin is 6.9dbs, which means this line is sucking down more than it can handle, irrespective of the attenuation. Slightly more noise on the line would cause it to drop completely. With a good line this attenuation should give about 3-4mbs.

The iPlate filters the ring wire, not all possible other problems, that is why I suggest you try the Test socket. You would have been better fitting a filtered faceplate which does isolate all internal problems.

I would guess that when you were first connected your line was running with the G.DMT mode, it has probably been put on ADSL2+, which it cannot handle very well. Only Sky CST can fix this if it is the case.
      Appologies for not making it clear at the start.

I think the iplate isnt really helping at all. I think I just bought it hoping it would solve problems. I only have one phone point in the house and that is the master socket. I am obviously plugged into that as we speak.

I'm now getting an even worse connection

ADSL Link------------Downstream--Upstream
      Connection Speed--1591 kbps-----606 kbps
      Line Attenuation-----60 db-----------37 db
      Noise Margin---------7 db-------------9 db

Thanks

Your connection has dropped and resynced at a lower speed with the default margin. Although it looks worse it is actually better, as your noise margin is nearer the default.
      That being said, you are not getting as much speed as you should. This could be due to noise on your external line or by being on ADSL2+, as I mentioned earlier. Phone Sky and ask Tier 1 to put you through to CST to have your line reconfigured. They will probably make you do all the tests before doing so, but you must do this or you will get nowhere.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your connection has dropped and resynced at a lower speed with the default margin. Although it looks worse it is actually better, as your noise margin is nearer the default.
      That being said, you are not getting as much speed as you should. This could be due to noise on your external line or by being on ADSL2+, as I mentioned earlier. Phone Sky and ask Tier 1 to put you through to CST to have your line reconfigured. They will probably make you do all the tests before doing so, but you must do this or you will get nowhere.
      Cheers. I spoke to CST last night and a lovely scottish lady upped my speed to 3700kbps down and 716kbps up. I tested it whilst on the phone with her on the other end and everything was okay and no errors were being shown. The second she hung up I noticed my speed drop down to exactly what they were before. It was almost as if she didnt click save

I phoned back seconds later and got put through to about 4 indians who i could barely understand and they did absolutely nothing for me. Whilst I don't have a problem with indian call centres in general it is infuriating when you are struggling to have a conversation with someone as you havent quite said what they've got on their script

Looks like another call tonight.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

it didn't drop sync and reconnect slower did it? might be a filter issue meaning speed is better when using the phone...

as for speed, if it goes up its saved - you have to save it for settings to change...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it didn't drop sync and reconnect slower did it? might be a filter issue meaning speed is better when using the phone...

as for speed, if it goes up its saved - you have to save it for settings to change...
      Seems an odd one that it will sync faster if on the phone. I might have to try a few other filters and see what happens. I might plug a filter into a filter and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast