Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I swear SKY are throttling me

This is a discussion on I swear SKY are throttling me within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When SKY kept calling and pestering me to get Broadband they said my phone line could easily handle the Broadband ...

markcunn2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I swear SKY are throttling me

When SKY kept calling and pestering me to get Broadband they said my phone line could easily handle the Broadband Max package. Because I only use Forums for celebs where I download videos and pictures on a regular basis; I opted for the Base package. I use a bandwith meter and even using YouTube and a Torrent site once for a friend I have never gone over the 1GB monthly allowance.

Due to space issues; the router is in the front room and my PC in the kitchen; where I use a 7m ethernet cable to connect router and PC. After 6 months the first throttling happened; I went down to just over a dialup connection. SKY apologised; and said maintenance had been done and I was put back to 1.5MB. Then over the last 15 months; the connection keeps dropping from 1.5MB to between dialup speed and 1MB. Each call to SKY prompts crawling apologies (at least I think that they say; I can't understand Indians) and then when I say I'm considering upgrading the package to Mid they told me I could only get 1.5MB; which is a laugh as it keeps dropping. A neighbour with SKY has their Max broadband and as they only live next door surely I can the same service?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1534 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 37.4 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 15.0 db

(Sorry for long post; but wanted to give background to help save time)

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: I swear SKY are throttling me

Your not capped and your noise margin is low. Router stats from the test socket may help.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markcunn2 View Post
      A neighbour with SKY has their Max broadband and as they only live next door surely I can the same service?
      you could also try and get your neighbours stats if poss, he may well be on the max package but still only get the same speed as you (but higher usage alowance)
      as suggested by smithy, if you can find your master/test socket and do some tests on the speed and post back
      (there is a link in my sig about the test socket)

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Line Attenuation 60.0 means that your cable is a very long line length (or possibly that it has a very big problem with your line) and the distance between your house and exchnage must be miles away..

There would be no way you would get the full whack as you would most likely need to be within sight of the exchange to get that.

Get stats off your test socket and your neighbours and if there is a big difference in the attenuation you may need to do a bit of work finding out what is wrong.

If his is as high as yours there is not much you can do.

Just spotted your on the same exchange as me, the exchange is in the middle of Bedwell and depending on which part of stevenage your in will be a good guide of what speed you can get. I'm in shephall near 6 hills way and fairly close to the exchnage and get between 9-11 meg/sec when I was on Sky.

What you can do for now is to restart your router somewhere between 10pm and midnight and this will give you a speed when the noise on your line is worst and should be stable the rest of the day.
      Last edited by Undecided Adrian; 17-03-09 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added more info
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

markcunn2 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Me and my neighbour both live in Poplars. I'll check stats on master socket in the morning; I'm shattered. Just got back from London.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Given that Poplars is behind Shephall, you will have a longer length of phone line to the exchange and a attenuation of 60 wouldn't be too far out as I have one of 36.

Although seeing if your internal wiring can be improved could be useful to improve the line stability.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!