Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

confused - where to start?

This is a discussion on confused - where to start? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have just installed sky (max), and have been getting poor speeds. TS have been not helpful so I'm ...

mrklaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

confused - where to start?

Hi

I have just installed sky (max), and have been getting poor speeds. TS have been not helpful so I'm having a play around at home.

here are the stats I was getting when I first connected up:
      downstream 1535, attenuation 40db, noise 9.8
      upstream 782, attenuation 20.8db, noise 10.5

For reference, here are the stats I was getting with my previous provider, connected to exactly the same socket (demon 8Mb service)
      6912 downstream, attenuation 36db, noise 8.

I've just disconnected the phone line from my master socket (with skyHD box and Dect phone attached), and also the phone line upstairs on an extension (which runs an approx 5m phone cable out, then split to second sky box, and also a scanner/fax). There is another extension which isn't being used which I've also put a microfilter on just in case. I have the bell wire disconnected in the master socket (old type, not NTE5, so no test socket)

Now my stats are
      5119 downstream, 39 attenuation, 21.5 noise (!)

so something in the wiring sounds like its causing the problem. I need the upstairs connection for fax/sky multiroom, so any ideas whats the likely culprit?

On both phone cabled bits, I have a kind of mini extension - so eg microfilter phone socket - 5m cable to phone splitter - to phone and sky box. Same upstairs and downstairs. Could this be a problem or is it likely to be the actual extensions within the house?

I'm also confused why that didn't seem to affect the old demon setup with my belkin router. I haven't changed anything other than swap the router for sky's one (sagem)

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: confused - where to start?

plugging the downstairs phone in doesn't really drop the noise level - still 20.9 db downstream noise.

edit: guess what muppet didn't have a microfilter plugged in upstairs when he rearranged everything? Now replugged in upstairs and getting 19db noise.

So will the router adjust itself over time, or should I give it a push by restarting it a few times?

any idea what sort of speed I should expect with attenuation of 40db and noise of 20? I'd have thought 8-10Mb/s should be doable

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Leave the router on, hopefully DLM will see the stable line and start increasing the speed.

If not you will have to ring Sky.

You should get a filtered faceplate and a new NTE5 socket and put the router here, it will remove any issues with the rest of the internal lines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Leave the router on, hopefully DLM will see the stable line and start increasing the speed.

If not you will have to ring Sky.

You should get a filtered faceplate and a new NTE5 socket and put the router here, it will remove any issues with the rest of the internal lines.
      I'd like an NTE5 box and filtered faceplate, but don't want to do it myself. Do I need to pay BT to replace it, or can I use a 3rd party (and not break T&Cs). If so, roughly how much to basically swap the master socket over, leaving other things as they are?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You should be able to find a 3rd party to do it for you although this will still be breaking the BT T&C's.

Not sure on the cost but if you get the parts yourself it wont take long so just the labour.