Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

- QuestionAble Speed - (?)

This is a discussion on - QuestionAble Speed - (?) within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; - Thanks for the Help so far... - - We have 3 Phone Sockets around the House - 1 Unused ...

~ flipd ~ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: - QuestionAble Speed - (?)

- Thanks for the Help so far... -

- We have 3 Phone Sockets around the House - 1 Unused in an Upstairs Bedroom - 1 Unused in the Living Room & also Another in the Living Room Which i Guess is Our Master Socket - this being the Socket that We Use -

- i have unscrewed the Face Plates to All Sockets... - & have not Found a TEST SOCKET on Any - Not even the - 'Master Socket' -

- Obviously then i can not Conduct the Test -

- i'm Wondering Why my - 'Master Socket' - Seems to be Standard like the rest - (?)

- Do All - 'Master Sockets' - Have a TEST SOCKET - (?)

- i have tried to Contact Sky Tech. Support... - & it's getting very frustrating - firstly the phone line is poor so it is very difficult to hear what they say much of the time anyway - & also because the remedies they suggest involve disconnecting equipment - it means that i am losing Contact with them on the phone & having to go back to square one through the tech. support time after time -

- the last person i spoke to said that she would update my notes so that the next adviser could continue from where we left off - but i don't see why they can not simply send out an engineer to have a look for us - as i don't know what i'm doing with all this - (?)

- i am thinking of canceling my Subscription... - but they said it would cost 90 to Cancel the Contract - this seems really unfair as we have never had a good quality set-up from the start -

- i am Wondering if the Coming Price Rise would give grounds to cancel the contract alone - (?)

- though i do wish to sort out this fault either way -

- i am thinking of moving over to - O2 Home BroadBand - i aleady have a Phone Plan with them so Could get a Discount -

D.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The master socket is usually the first one on the line where it enters your house. If your house has been wired properly, only one socket will have a capacitor and other bits in it, this is the master. The others should just have terminals for joining the wires.
      An extension socket should look like this -
      http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU1_inside.jpg
      and a Master socket (older type) will look similar to this -
      http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU3_1A_rear.jpg

Not having an NTE5 socket makes it more difficult to diagnose, all you can do is find out which is the master and plug into it using a filter. Unplug everything else you have connected to any other sockets and take your stats.

If there is a wire connected to the No 3 terminal in the master socket, pull it out of the connector. This is the ring wire and serves no useful purpose. By careful you do not dislodge the other wires when you do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If Sky cannot supply you with a connection above 512kbps, they will be obliged to end your contract foc. However, as things stand, you are unlikely to do any better with another provider.

Keep that finger away from the caps key

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

- thanks for Your Help - 'Isitme' -

- i'm doing my best to avoid using the - 'CAPS' - though it is a long-standing habit -

- i'll post some more information below... -

Your Exchange Information
      Exchange: Stafford BT Code: WMSPA
      Distance:- Direct: 1.05 mi
      (appx)*By Road: 1.4 mi
      Service Enabled On
      ADSL Enabled: June 30, 2001
      DSL Max Enabled: March 31, 2006
      SDSL Enabled: November 30, 2004
      21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
      21CN WBC (Broadband) March 31, 2009

Your BT Line Speed Estimation
      Fixed ADSL: 2048 (2 Mb)
      DSL Max: 4500 (4 Mb)

RAG Test Results

* ADSL

RAG Code: GGEC
      Fixed: 1Mbps and 2Mbps available
      RA ADSL: 512kbps and 256kbps available
      Exch Info: Exchange ADSL enabled
      Line Info: Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.

* ADSL Max

RAG Code: GEGEGEC
      Fixed: 1Mbps and 2Mbps available
      FR Exch Info: Exchange ADSL enabled
      RA ADSL: 512kbps and 256kbps available
      RA Exch Info: Exchange ADSL enabled
      FR Exch Info: ADSL Max available on this line
      Exch Info: Exchange enabled for ADSL Max
      Line Info: Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some alarm systems.

- i will report back with what i find inside the Sockets -

D.

Exchange:
      Thanks

- just an additional note... - O2 - Estimate i should achieve speeds of up to 13MB When using their Premium Package - ( - Up to 24MB - ) -

D.

Exchange:
      Thanks

- i'm trying to get up to Speed - ( - if You'll excuse the Pun - ) - with All the Terminology... -

- Could You confirm the type of connection i use - i.e - ADSL / ADSL2+ etc. - (?)

- i think i read that All Sky MAX B. B. Uses ADSL2+ - is that correct - (?)

D.

Thanks

I think you are on ADSL2+ at the moment.
      I cannot believe that any ISP will give you 13Mb, even if your had a perfect line, which you have not. The best you could hope to receive with your attenuation is 8-9Mbs. If O2 can promise you 13Mb, jump at it, you will never get that with Sky.

You have to realise that the speed you can receive is entirely dependent on the length and condition of your line. At the moment your line is very very very bad, until that is sorted out, your speed will not improve. Have you tried my suggestion in post # 12? If so please post your stats.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

- i have opened up the 3 Sockets We have... - these being the Unused Socket in a Bedroom... - UnUsed Socket in Living Room & the Used Master Socket also in the Living Room - into Which the Router is Connected through the Modem Port of a Micro Filter - the Sky+ HD connection also runs into this filter -

- the Socket We use in Living Room must be the Master Socket Going by the pictures Provided by - 'Isitme' - as it contains the Capacitor -

- ALL of the opened Sockets have several wires within -

- Master Socket - 6 Connections - Numbered 1 through 6 -

- 1 - Unused -
      - 2 - 2 wires - ( - 2 x Red - ) -
      - 3 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x red/white Mix - ) -
      - 4 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x blue/white Mix - ) -
      - 5 - 2 wires - ( - 2 x Blue - ) -
      - 6 - Unused -

- Unused Bedroom - 2 thick white cables lead into the Socket Box - & from each of these cables emerge several smaller wires like those found in the Master Socket - there are numbered connections - 1 through 6 - with these smaller wires being connected as follows... -

- 1 - Unused -
      - 2 - 2 wires - ( - 1 x Red 1 x Blue - ) -
      - 3 - 2 wires - ( - 2 x Red/White Mix - ) -
      - 4 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x Blue/White Mix - ) -
      - 5 - 2 wires - ( - 1 x Red 1 x Blue - ) -
      - 6 - Unused -

- Unused Living Room - Smaller Socket Box - Connections Numbered 2 through 5 ONLY -

- 2 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x Blue - ) -
      - 3 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x Blue/White Mix - ) -
      - 4 - Unused -
      - 5 - 1 wire - ( - 1 x Red - ) -

- so essentially We have 3 Sockets... - though Use only 1 - & there is a Micro Filter Directly Connected to this Master Socket into Which Flows the Sky+ HD & Sky MAX Connections -

- We have a Set of 3 Phones Active - the Main Phone with Base is Located in the Kitchen & Runs through the Digi Box We have in there - the other 2 Phones are Located elsewhere - 1 in Bedroom & 1 in Living Room - these Phones do not directly connect to any other equipment - except of course their Bases Being Plugged into the Wall for Power -

- We had a Sky Engineer Out Yesterday Replacing a Faulty HD Box - & He Returns tomorrow to complete the Job as he found that the sky dish was not connected properly initially - i will ask if he can check over the connections for all our Television set-ups around the house -

- since Our Phone line is always of poor quality i am thinking it a good idea to get in contact with our - 'Southern Electric' - who we get our line rental from - maybe they could send out an Engineer to check over our sockets - (?)

D.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Well the first thing you can do is remove all the wires except those in 2 and 5 in the master socket. You dont need them and they can cause a lot of noise on the line and cripple the ADSL.

If your not using the other sockets I would remove the wires to them also, that way you only have the master connected. Job done.

Exchange:
      Thanks

- so you suggest that i disconnect ALL of the wires in both of the UsUsed Phone Sockets - Correct - (?)

- & with Regards to the Master Socket - Leave only those wires Connected to 2 & 5 - both of which being fed 2 wires - (?)

D.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast