Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

confused and looking for advice

This is a discussion on confused and looking for advice within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi guys stumbled across this excellent forum as been looking to see if i can speed up my broadband. i ...

duncansau80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

confused and looking for advice

hi guys

stumbled across this excellent forum as been looking to see if i can speed up my broadband.

i moved home a year ago, and never thought much about my connections and partly blamed it on old laptop.

however browsing these sites, it prompted me to check exactly what speeds i was getting and if any room for improvement

my findings were very poor to say the least. I will post my router numbers at bottom of post.

I would like any advice you guys can throw at me to see if i can gain on download speeds

tests are as followed:

wireless connection with router plugged into socket;

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 864 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 19.0 db 14.0 db

speedtest.net result:

764 kbps download
      326 kbps upload

i then plugged straight into router and had same readings.

Master socket (test) results:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 13.0 db

speedtest.net results:

3488 kbps download

342 kbps upload

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to try and get as much information to see if there is a solution.

thanks in advance

Duncan

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: confused and looking for advice

sync speed won't change by unplugging the ethernet so i assume you've moved the router from one socket to another...

speed test results show what everyone already knows - wireless is rubbish!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duncansau80 View Post
      I would like any advice you guys can throw at me to see if i can gain on download speeds
      OK - several things there:

Your "socket" (presumably an extension socket?) isn't up to giving you an acceptable ADSL connection. Hence the terrible sync speed.

Secondly, your master socket (do you mean test socket?) gives you the maximum sync speed possible for your package i.e. that's fine.

The difference between the two is down to line noise generated in your home wiring. See the cabling and faceplate help forum for advice on how to fix this and possibly get the same result from your socket as your master.

Your low speedtest results are probably down to a poor quality wireless connection. Wired is best, either standard ethernet or Homeplugs if you don't want additional wiring. If you have to use wireless, try experimenting with different wireless channels (start at 13 and work down) and also make sure your router is up off the floor and away from metallic and electrical items.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys for replies, is def food for thought

yes originally was plugged into extension socket. I have two extension sockets coming from master socket, but both give same readings so i assume it must be wiring issue i have, if test socket shows 8mb capability.

I will browse the wiring and faceplate section to see if i can come up with a solution.

thanks

Duncan

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi guys

i done some more testing tonight and just wanting to see i things look about right

i plugged router in master socket and my tests show

Connection Speed 3776 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 16.5 db 13.0 db

when i do a speed test im getting downloads of around 2.5 and 3mb and upload of around 350

then i took faceplate off and plugged direct into test socket and my tests show

Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 13.0 db

when i do speed test in test socket i get similar to above downloads of about 2.5 and 3mb and upload of 350

so am i picking up the results correctly in saying that test shows my line is capable of the full 8mb i have available but could it be capped to the 3mb?

certainly the 3mb is alot better than the 800k i was getting last night so for now i have kept router plugged into master socket. I forgot to say that both tests were done wireless and plugged in direct to router.

if i have missed anything then a newbie mistake as still trying to get my head round all this great info on here

cheers

Duncan

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like you have problems with your internal wiring. You best solution is to buy a Filtered Faceplate and plug your router directly into it. This isolates your internal wiring and will give results almost identical to your Test socket.

As you are able to sync at the maximum speed for your connection I don't think you are capped. If you are not running Vista, download and run TCPOptimiser from the link below. This will ensure your PC is properly set up for Broadband.

I just noticed you run the tests wirelessly, this will greatly reduce your speed. I am fairly sure you will get 7Mbs+ with an ethernet connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks is it me

i did have a look on the cable and faceplate section and i do think that is a good option for me. My only problem is my master socket is located in my kitchen of all places, and under a radiator so i would rather have my router elsewhere. I d have to extension sockets from master and was wondering if i used the xtf extension plate on one of the extension sockets, would i get the same or roughly the same results as master socket once new faceplate is attached.

thanks

Duncan

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is unlikely. You would have to use a filterplate on the Master socket then connect from the unfiltered side of the faceplate to your extension socket. This would only be effective if the extensions are wired individually from the Master and the wire was good quality.
      Fitting a filtered plate to the Master then using a good quality long RJ11 cable to your router would be a better solution. This could be up to 15Ms without loosing much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duncansau80 View Post
      so am i picking up the results correctly in saying that test shows my line is capable of the full 8mb i have available but could it be capped to the 3mb?
      No.

You're not capped.

Your internal wiring is holding your sync back.

The test socket bypasses the internal wiring so that's why you're getting a good sync with it.

Fix your internal wiring problem and fit a filtered faceplate and you'll get near enough the same results as you currently get from your test socket, plugged into your master.

With a filtered master faceplate you'll get better sync from your extensions than currently but not as good as from plugged directly into it.

Your sync speed is what your router is connected to the exchange at. Think of it as the "raw" speed.

Your speedtest result is limited by the weakest part of the connection, namely your wireless connection.

Wired you will get ~85% of your sync rate in a speedtest if your PC is set up correctly. The shortfall is down to transmission overheads. Wireless you'll get between 0% and 85% depending on wireless quality.
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-01-09 at 10:33 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers guys

i think i will get the new faceplate and see about sorting out the internal wiring and hopefully should see a decent difference.

Thanks

Duncan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast