Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

confused and looking for advice

This is a discussion on confused and looking for advice within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; done some more digging about to see where wires went etc and i came across a box which i dont ...

duncansau80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: confused and looking for advice

done some more digging about to see where wires went etc and i came across a box which i dont have a lcue what its purpose is for. Only 2 of the 4 wires seem to be connected to it. This is connected directly to the master socket and stops there.

The other wire coming out of the master socket is the extension socket for upstairs. There is a whole lot of wires curled up inside my master socket, do you think this bad wiring could be issue with my speeds.

checked under carpet where the wire leads to unknown box to find:

is it worth rewiring from master socket to this box to replace that cracked and split wiring.

I also noticed that previous owners of house had cable phone lines and another wire is attached to extension socket upstairs from the input box of the cable. Would the additional wiring from the cable phone line cause problems?

cheers again

Duncan

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You've had the best advice (filter faceplate) so as long as your existing wiring works for your phones leave well alone. The small box you have found is the junction where your incomming line connects on it's way to the master socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As Brian says, leave well alone until you get a faceplate. I must admit that if it was me, I would consider replacing the junction box with a NTE5 box and replace your existing Master with a standard extension socket. Put a filter plate on the new NTE5 and run the router from there. But then, that is me, it would be against BT's regulations of course.

It will be worthwhile having a close look at the split cable, it looks like someone has been over zealous with a Stanley knife. If the insulation around the wires has been cut as well as the sheathing, it may be worth replacing it. If not a bit of insulation tape will fix it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

james. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

can you just leave the router plugged into the test socket permanantly? i ve got a microfilter into test socket, router and sky plus cable into filter and the faceplate into the back of sky plus plug is this ok to leave permanantly? cheers for any reply because i havent got a clue

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am not quite following you, do you mean when the faceplate is off, it is still 'live'? Does your extension still work?

There is nothing to stop you using the test socket permanently, but it should mean your faceplate and any extension connected to it are dead. If they are not something is wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12