Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed

This is a discussion on Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've just joined and notice this link as I have a much more extreme version of this problem. I've ...

ajc123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed

Hi,

I've just joined and notice this link as I have a much more extreme version of this problem.

I've moved to BT/Sky from Virgin because although I had 'unlimited' Virgin the speed was little better than a 56k modem. They carried out speed tests and told me everything was fine but when its taking @5 minutes to load up the BBC front page, etc then you know something is wrong, so I decided to leave and cancelled all my services with them. I must point out that I work for a software firm in the City and need heavy duty bb as I frequently work from home.

I came to Sky because I live in Forest Gate and the Stratford exchange is only 3/4 km away and this carries LLU and ADSL2. So I thought I would be getting this.

I've set up the wireless router exactly as described except I used my own high quality cat 5 ethernet wire because the one supplied was too short. (This made no difference anyway, as I carried out the first installation by dragging the pc to the telephone line). I have waited the required 10 days and then I found this forum and this thread and carried out the speed tests.

I've attached the document that contains the results of 2 tests but I carried out more and as you can see the download speed is coming out at less or around half the upload speed which is @680-700 kbs. I've also included a download of a McAfee upgrade that should skip through but is going slower than a 28k modem (21 kbs). And I'm a bit new to these tests but I believe that the speed tests are showing that this is what is coming from the exchange so the source lies either with Sky capping me or BT IP profile. I cannot even carry out the IP Profile test as the connection is too slow.

Can anyone advise on a course of action?

regards

TC
      Attached Files Attached Files

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed

Well number 1 Sky is a residential service and should not be used for work purposes... aside from that can you tell us how you are connected to the tel line? Are you in the main or test socket (if not can you move the router there for testing as extensions can impact speed), also do you have more than one telephone socket in use? If so are there filters on each socket in use on the line?
      If Sky tv is connected to the telephone line make sure it is via the telephone side of an ADSL filter, if you haven't already done so swap out any old filters with the new filters sky sent with the router.
      We need a set of figures from the test socket if possible for comparrison if you are not already plugged into it, don't worry about posting loads of stuff, SNR, noise margin, down and upstread speeds are the main things.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just to add to Paul's comments, you are on a Sky LLU connection so you will not be able to access the BT Performance Tester. Not that it matters, as Sky do not use the IP Profile system used by BT. With Sky it is WYSIWYG. I am not sure whether you meant you were 3 quarters of a kilometre, or 3 or 4 kilometres from your exchange, but your line attenuation (55) indicates that you are more likely to be the latter. With this attenuation, you are unlikely to get any better than 4Mbps.

If you post your stats from the Test socket, these will give an indication of what is wrong. Using a long ethernet cable will make no difference to your stats and very very little to your download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have only one socket and it is old with no faceplate and test socket. I'm 3 kilometres from Stratford. I should be getting 3 Mbps at least on ADSL. ADSL2 should be double that.

PaulSky whether Sky is a residential service or not is irrelevant. In actual fact I've had limited companies and business services before and it makes no difference. I'm a business and technical analyst and for the work that I do Sky Max should be adequate for the occasional day working from home. It isn't and it isn't good enough for them to say (which they haven't) 'its a residential service'. I'm paying for Max.

The speed I am getting is atrocious and since mailing this post I received an email to say they had tweaked the settings to make it better and the download speed went down to 160 kbs! This is nowhere near good enough for Sky Max. In fact the speeds are hitting as low as 20kbs on an average download. At this rate I may as well go back to a modem and dialup as I had better than this @10-15 years ago.

The key I think is the disparity between the upload speed which is now 768kbs (good) and the download speed.

As regards Sky TV. The original engineer did not connect the box to the socket. We found this put when I tried to access Sky services on TV, couldn't, then found the wire tucked in behind my TV cabinet. Another engineer came round today and fitted a junction box to the socket. The router did not work at all after this and there was no connection to the internet. So Sky TV is now unplugged.

To be honest the service I've had for all of this is leading me to the conclusion that it is not worth the aggravation and I may as well pay a bit more for mobile wi fi. I was originally with NTL for years. Virgin took over and the service deteriorated badly - to speeds as slow as a modem - then I've moved to BT and it took an email and letter to the chairman to get a simple line reconnection and payment plan set up. Then I went for Sky TV and broadband Max and I'm having to do all this to get it set up right and I'm paying for it. All of this has taken months and lost weekends faffing around with wires and kit.

None of these companies take responsibility and set up new customers properly and we have to become experts in telecommunications to get anything done. Well I've worked in IT for over 23 years and my expertise is in other areas and I don't want to be a telecommunications expert. I have enough colleagues and ex colleagues who do work in this area to know that there's not much more I can do. I also have 2 young children and a life outside, so excuse me for being ratty but I object to working at the weekend for another company without getting paid for it.

My guess is that there could be line problems (as well) so I'm pursuing this avenue through BT. But here is also something badly wrong with Sky and I'm considering the same approach there - email to the chairman. I'll give them another week, if anyone has any suggestions then I would be grateful but there are no more stats to provide here. Otherwise if I'm not tied in, I'll get rid of it.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Router stats from the test socket please, See linkys below.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Odds are the engineer fitted the tv splitter into the socket and then the filter into the tv filter which is the wrong way round. Sky tv splitter needs to plug into the filter telephone socket.
      Without stats no-one can help you and if you really want help you will post your stats up so they can be looked at (SNR, download and upload speed plus attenutation). It may be that your line conditions are no good, you may have internal wiring issue or just a faulty filter but without stats we cannot tell you where to look. If it is internal issues then it's nothing to do with Sky and only you (or BT) can resolve it. If it's an old socket you may find that the bell wire is still connected which will not be helping anything.
      My point in stating residential service is more of a warning than anything as if your conn fails and you need support mentioning work usage of the line will not help things so if you are only using it occassionally I wouldn't even mention it at all in any of your communications with Sky or you may not like the reply you get.
      Googleme, think he meant its an old socket with no faceplate or test socket not that it had no faceplate but had a test socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I should be getting 3 Mbps at least on ADSL. ADSL2 should be double that.
      Not true I'm afraid. Adsl2+ will not benefit you unless you are syncing at over 8Mb. The story that it doubles your speed is a myth. The only time it will do this is if you are syncing at +8Mbs with a low attenuation and a high noise margin. You will probably be better off when DLM, which uses ADSL2+, has completed on your line and it can be manually set to G.DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Not sure if I'm making myself clear here.

As Paul says the master socket I have (the only socket I have) does not have a test socket. It has a single faceplate that if you take off does not cover up a test socket, just a load of wires connected to the front. So no further stats can be forthcoming unless there is another way of getting them.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...bt-socket.html

I've already attached the stats that I have taken in a document that has been viewed 14 times. What further stats are required for diagnosis? Why does a test socket make a difference? What happens with an old socket like mine that is different to a test socket?

The document has the stats as images so I can't insert them here. So here they are:

Downstream UpStream
      Connection Speed 290kbps 785kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0db 30.1db
      Noise Margin 12.7db 11.0db

Just another point about the quality of service - Paul I bought Sky Max, what I use it for is my business whether its for a hobby, professional web development or whatever is irrelevant. The pitiful service that is offered (and I've read some of the other threads where people with old sockets like mine are having the same problems) is out of order and it sums up the incompetence, the arrogance and the contempt that these companies view us all with, that people have to come here to find out how to put things right.

As I said, not only do I object to doing free IT work and it impinging on my work and leisure time, I'm also paying someone else for the benefit! It never used to be like this and I have certainly had better quality of service from other ISPs in the past (NTL included). But the speed has definitely been better than this with dial up. So I and everybody that is simply sent a kit and expected to be a telecommunications engineer to set it up have a right to complain about it.

Thanks for the advice re. the junction and filter. I'll have a go at that.

Point taken about ADSL - as I also said my IT expertise does not lie with comms.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Sorry, I must be missing something, are you doing this work for someone else, you keep mentioning free IT work?

If you are doing it for yourself then I assume you will reap the benefits, how is it free, you could always write yourself an invoice for time/labour if it makes you feel any better

Thanks

Sarcasm and irony will get you everywhere!

The only trouble is clearly for BT, Sky, Virgin, et al irony is just a heavy metal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast