Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed

This is a discussion on Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To answer one of your questions, the test socket removes all other equipment from the line including any wired extensions, ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Extremely low download speed but normal upload speed

To answer one of your questions, the test socket removes all other equipment from the line including any wired extensions, it's used as a clean testing set up and gives the most accurate readings as to the status of the line itself. If you have no other equipment on the line or any other sockets then all you can do is change the filter (humour us on this one) and then call the sky technical support line 08442 411 515, option 2, option 5. Ask the agent to take you through troubleshooting for slow sync on the line, tell them you are in the only socket on the line and that you have changed filters in case the filter is faulty. As long as the only attached equipment at this point is the filter directly on the socket with the telephone and router attached then you will have a ticket raised without too much of a delay and CST will then begin the process of dealing with the line issue once the ticket is at the top of their stack (or if you want to queue you can queue to speak to them when offered to option).

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The advantage of having a Test socket is that removing the faceplate from it isolates all the extensions in your house. As you only have the one socket, it does not apply in your case, so don't worry about it.

As you only have one socket the chances are that there is a fault or faults in your external line. Is your voice line clear? Try a quiet line test by plugging a corded phone on its own, into the socket and dial 17070, take option 2 and listen. If you hear any noises on the line report it to your rental provider as a noisy voice line. Don't mention broadband or they will do nothing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ajc123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Cheers Paul

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Don't mention broadband or they will do nothing.
      Well not quite true, they then tell the customer to complain to Sky BB tech, who then tell them to go and talk to the line rental provider at which point the poor tier 1 agent gets abuse from the customer who is getting ping ponged due to BT not wanting to foot the bill to fix their own equipment.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

When I said they will do nothing, I meant about the fault, not that they would not pass the buck

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks very much.

I'm tackling this from the BT end first. I have already emailed Ian Livingston due to the aggravation of getting re-connected.

I asked the executive cs person allocated to my case if I could have an NTE5 fitted as a first point so I could test my internal wiring. She said that they don't normally do that, that it would still go on a fault and I could still be liable to 'substantial' charges. I'm just going to have to stand my ground with this one...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't normally do it? What a load of cobblers, the engineers would be happier that you have one than not as it actually allows a proper and easy way to find out where the fault lies before they get sent out again. Stand your ground with BT, sometimes they only pay attention when you start complaining to the top people.

Thanks

Just to bring you up to date.

BT engineer came before Xmas and changed the wire from the house to the outside as it was corroded. He also replaced the socket inside but replaced it with the same type i.e, still not an NTE5. I'm not that worried about that as I have no extensions.

This meant that the download speed went to 800 kbs. Unfortunately this lasted until the modem was turned off one night. When it was turned on again it had dropped to 400.

So I went back to Sky, and said that the line had been checked from the exchange to the house and some of the wiring had been replaced by BT and that the speed had started at a not spectacular 800 and had fallen again. They sent out another BT engineer to perform a 'health check' from the exchange to the house (again). Now it as dropped to 160 ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What are your current router stats (attenuation, sync and noise margin)?

Thanks

Hi,

this is just to bring this thread to a close and thank everyone for their help.

The speed of the line has deteriorated. Despite achieving 1 mb for a day or 2 over a 6 month period, we have had no connection at all for @98% of the time and when we do we get speeds of @10kbs.

Sky have sent out 3 BT engineers. They all say that with our distance from the exchange we should be able to get 3-4 mb. The last engineer checked the line, said it was 4km away from the exchange and the Sky profile of 2mb was too low. Sky say that they have variable rate lines.

The customer service is atrocious - we have been round the support circle @ 10-12 times - raising a ticket , they say they'll call back in 72 hours, then they call back on the last few hours to the wrong number, leave a message and close the ticket. Every time you have to go through the general enquiries to start the ball rolling again. The classic was when they sent a new modem - I told them I would be away for a week on a business trip, gave them my mobile number but told them to call when I was back. The modem arrived on the day I departed, I installed it on the day I got back. They had left 3 messages from the Customer Solutions Team, asking me to call them. I called them and they'd closed the ticket, so it was through General Enquiries again, all basic questions again, and all the checks and whistles, transferred to the wrong departments, cut off and had to start again, etc, etc.

I reached a point where I was going to go to Otelo, but today I got a call from the BT escalations team. They said they would cancel as they cannot provide a broadband service, and I will get my money back. That's the end of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12