Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Terrible download speed with 16 meg broadband

This is a discussion on Terrible download speed with 16 meg broadband within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; bare in mind DLM runs PERMANENTLY on a line - it only adjusts in the first ten days and then ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Terrible download speed with 16 meg broadband

bare in mind DLM runs PERMANENTLY on a line - it only adjusts in the first ten days and then monitors the connection...it's never turned off...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Consty1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Okay I tried the microfilter in the test socket. Here are my router stats:

So no improvement in speed. I guess I might need to give Sky a ring.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are capped, and it appears you are, you will see no improvement in speed. What you were hoping for, is an improvement in the noise margin. You are not seeing that either so that suggests your external line has faults. Call Sky, but they may not be able to do much about it, the best they can do is get BT to check your line.

Just one final thing, when you remove the faceplate from your Master socket are all your extensions dead?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are capped, and it appears you are, you will see no improvement in speed. What you were hoping for, is an improvement in the noise margin. You are not seeing that either so that suggests your external line has faults. Call Sky, but they may not be able to do much about it, the best they can do is get BT to check your line.

Just one final thing, when you remove the faceplate from your Master socket are all your extensions dead?
      Why would I be capped?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Because your line is so bad it will not take any more speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To go a little bit off topic for a moment, if you are a new Sky Broadband customer, and I assume the rest of us next year, it's vital that you attend to your internal wiring to ensure that DLM does not leave you with a low speed. Depending on how Sky have set their DLM (what level of errors they consider to be acceptable) DLM could leave you with a very low speed after the 10 day intial period.
      In this case Consty 1 says in the first post that an extension is plugged into the master and then a filter is fitted on the other end. This is asking for trouble, the ring wire of the extension will be injecting interferance and there is no easy way to disconnect it (this is the one time a BT-Iplate is useful, as it would filter the ring line)
      If you must use plug in extensions, then the filter must be at the master socket, with seperate extensions for the router and phone connected to it. Next up the food chain would be a BT-Iplate at the master, a single extension and filter at the far end.
      Fixed extensions with a filter faceplate is the best way to go.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've had no disconnections whatsoever as yet and the line has appeared to be stable although this could be a result of the line being capped. I'll give Sky a ring and see if they can possibly increase the speed.

The reason I've used the extensions is because the phone point is in the hall and I have Xbox live linked up in the living room, the ethernet cable for Xbox live is only short.

If I was to get rid of the extension and and leave the router in the hall would I then be uncapped due to greater line stability?

Thanks

I dont waht to repeat what has already been said, suffice to say.

(1) connect your router and a telephone to the TEST socket using a filter, and check that all other telephone sockets are dead.

(2) because your line may be capped, you may not see an increase in sync speed but you should see a big increase in noise margin, into double figures.

(3) if the noise margin does increase, and the sync speed remains the same then contact Sky and explan that you have had a wiring problem which has now been resolved and ask them to lift the capp.

(4) if the noise margin remains low, in single figure, then it looks like you have a line problem external to your home.

If Sky lift the capp, and your sync increases, leave the router where it is while you consider your extension options.

Exchange:
      Thanks

This probably doesn't effect anything but I thought I'd just add that I don't have a phone connected up, I use my mobile. The only other thing connected up to the main phone socket is Sky digital or at least the cable that gives access to the interactive services.

Thanks

So long as the Sky telephone connection is connected through a filter it should not make any differance, but you could always unplug it just to see. Do try and get hold of a phone to have a listen to your line, it may have a lot of noise on it and this may be part of the problem
      Last edited by Brian69; 30-11-08 at 09:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast