Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ethernet vs. Wireless

This is a discussion on Ethernet vs. Wireless within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there a reason why when I connect my computer to my router via an ethernet cable I get a ...

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ethernet vs. Wireless

Is there a reason why when I connect my computer to my router via an ethernet cable I get a faster download speed result from the Sky BB speed checker than when I use the computer wireless?

Results were:-

Ethernet:- 9.5 -10Mb

Wireless:- 6.5 - 6.7Mb

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet vs. Wireless

Yes - Your ethernet may well have been running at 100MB/s but WiFi can often run at less than the speed of your broadband and so becomes the bottleneck. If all you are using the connection for is browing and email then don't wory. If you need all of the speed available to you then use a cable or if this is impractical, use homeplugs via the electrical wiring.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is quite normal for wireless speeds to be lower than ethernet. There are many factors which effect wireless speed, these include the quality of the signal, local interference and your buildings structural issues. If your wireless is secured, as it should be, the encrytion used will further effect the true download speed.

If you haven't already done so and are not running Vista, use TCPOptimiser or DrTCP (links below) to optimise your wireless adapter. You might also want to experiment with changing the channel on the router to see if you can improve the quality of the signal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Only use Wireless when you absolutely have to. Ethernet (including HomePlug over your 240v mains cable) is more secure and faster.

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is quite normal for wireless speeds to be lower than ethernet. There are many factors which effect wireless speed, these include the quality of the signal, local interference and your buildings structural issues. If your wireless is secured, as it should be, the encrytion used will further effect the true download speed.

If you haven't already done so and are not running Vista, use TCPOptimiser or DrTCP (links below) to optimise your wireless adapter. You might also want to experiment with changing the channel on the router to see if you can improve the quality of the signal.
      Thanks. I'm running Vista on my PC & Laptop and Leopard on my Mac. Based on the expert advice here I'll move the router and hard wire it into the PC & Mac but keep the Laptop wireless for obvious reasons.