Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused about speedtest results...

This is a discussion on Confused about speedtest results... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm about 10 days into my new Sky Mid connection (moved from Pipex/Tiscali). I had tried to upgrade ...

DannyE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Confused about speedtest results...

Hi All,

I'm about 10 days into my new Sky Mid connection (moved from Pipex/Tiscali). I had tried to upgrade my package through them from a 2Mbps to an up to 8Mbps and after a number of months, my connection speed never improved despite numerous attempts at regrades... (my connection pretty much stuck at 1.9Mbps using their recommended server: DSLConnect UK - Speedtest). On the strength of this I moved to Sky...

Now I have been checking my connection speed at numerous points during the days that my connection should be balancing over, and I have been disappointed so far. I have on rare occasion had results of over 3Mbps using Thinkbroadbands speedtest (which I had been informed to be a reliable one), but i usually get results of between 2.4-2.7Mbps which considering I am withing a mile of the Exchange I was quite disappointed with, so I started looking for more information and came across different test sites.

In the past hour i have used several, with a variety of results:

thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL comparison & review website

Down - 2529.08 Kbps
      Up - 346.63 Kbps

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Down - 5284 Kbps
      Up - 299 Kbps

Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed

Down - 5260 Kbps
      Up - 221 Kbps

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/

Down - 2864 Kbps
      Up - 330 Kbps

http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/:

Down - 2.30Mbps (doesn't report UpStream)

My router details are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7611 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18.0 db 8.2 db
      Noise Margin 25.5 db 27.5 db

I have tried comparing the master socket to the other sockets that I have had the router connected via, I have tried comparing wired and wireless connections to my router and they are all pretty close so its not something in my home set up that is causing inconsistency.

Also I downloaded the new release of NetBeans (IDE for Java), from Sun last night and it was downloading at approx 320-330 Kbytes/s which equates to 2.5/6Mbps, from the router details I would expect double that at least?

So... can someone explain the difference in results I am getting and whether with my attentuation and noise levels if it would reasonable to expect more from my connection?

If it might be something on the actual line, I am transfering my line rental from BT to Sky (activates on 26th), will a Sky engineer be able to test the line and detect if there is an issue?

Many thanks for any help!!

Best regards,

Dan
      Last edited by DannyE; 22-11-08 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added the Skyuser spped test

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Confused about speedtest results...

I would imagine its something to do with that huge noise margin, the 412 upload indicates you are on dlm as all new customers are. However I've never seen a noise margin that high and would suspect you have problems with your internal wiring.
      Check out these threads for more info
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html
      Cabling and faceplate help

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I just connected the router directly to the master socket (via a micro-filter), the noise is vert slightly different to when it was connected to the faceplate:

Noise Margin 26.3 db 27.5 db

Wouldn't this suggest that the noise is be generated between me and the exchange rather than inside the house?

I can't hear any noise over the phone (other than the 1571 beeping)...

Oh, whats dlm?

Best regards,

Dan
      Last edited by DannyE; 22-11-08 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added phone noise note

Thanks

Try the test socket, behind the master
      Sky User - Help and Support for Sky and Sky Broadband - How to test your Master Socket
      If its no better there, make sure you dont have a dial tone at any other socket, then yes the problem will be external.
      DLM = dynamic line management, this should have been explained to you in your welcome letter, its basically a process which runs automatically and adjusts your noise margin up to a point where your line becomes more stable.

Thanks

Thanks again for your reply

Sorry I meant i took the faceplate off and checked the test socket, there are no other sockets available when the faceplate is off so I guess that means the problem is external. My broadband was activated on the 11th Nov so should the DLM bit have finished now? High noise can be a sign the line is being capped as well can't it...

May be I am just jumping to conclusions and should be more patient

Best regards,

Dan

p.s. BTW 400Kb is the max for the Mid package as far as I can tell... 768Kb is the max for the Max package so it might just be that and not an artificial cap?
      Last edited by DannyE; 22-11-08 at 11:54 PM. Reason: commented about the upstream speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyE View Post
      Thanks again for your reply

Sorry I meant i took the faceplate off and checked the test socket, there are no other sockets available when the faceplate is off so I guess that means the problem is external. My broadband was activated on the 11th Nov so should the DLM bit have finished now? High noise can be a sign the line is being capped as well can't it...

May be I am just jumping to conclusions and should be more patient

Best regards,

Dan
      It would be worthwhile to check any other internal sockets for a dial tone with the faceplate removed. Removing the faceplate should as you say disconnect them, but its possible someone has been naughty and connected one to the backplate, checking for a dial tone would confirm this.
      I'm not sure how long dlm runs for but as its an automatic process if it keeps seeing errors etc i suppose it could keep running indefinetley ?
      Yes, a high nm can also be a sign of being capped, but like i said I've not seen one that high.
      Your line attenuation is excellent and would easily support 16meg on max so there is a problem somewhere, hopefully we can help you resolve it.

Thanks

After experiencing the other DIY efforts in the house that the previous owner undertook, I went and double checked that there were no sockets wired to the backplate, thankfully there wasn't

When I was with Pipex, the regrade from 2Mb -> up to 8Mb failed several times (I never managed to get to anyone who could tell me why), but I wonder if the reason it kept failing was because the dlm went on indefinately because of errors on the line? hmmm...

I've seen in other posts very detailed posts with loads of router details including sections for errors enountered (I think), how do i produce a report like that?

Many thanks,

Dan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyE View Post
      I've seen in other posts very detailed posts with loads of router details including sections for errors enountered (I think), how do i produce a report like that?
      I'm not sure whether you can with the V2 router.
      Do you experience any noise when making voice calls, hisses crackles etc ?

Thanks

I've looked through all the screens in the router and can't see anything that would give detailed logs like those...
      As far as noise goes, I get very clear calls, very little background noise at all...

I think I'll give the dlm a few more days and see if the noise reduces at all... If not should I go to BB tech support first?

Thanks

Dan

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

DLM runs for the first 10 days of a connection to optimise your line - in this instance it's capped you slightly for whatever reason...it runs permanently, though, on your line to monitor changes in line conditions and if it sees errors/loss of sync it'll re-optimise your line...might also explain the differences in speed test results (although they're not that accurate)...are you wireless?...if so, try wired tests as you should be getting the full 8Mbps for Mid and possibly 16Mbps should you upgrade to Max...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast